Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1965 Comet Caliente Convertible Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65CometRagTop, Jun 12, 2012.

1. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

And use www.car-part.com to find some Maverick/Granada manifolds, a quick check showed some as low as $20 each. The drivers side casting number some list is D3DE-9431-BA and passenger side D5DE-9430-DB. Suprizingly there were a lot more dirvers side available than passenger side since most other passenger side ones will work but the driver side is the tricky one.

2. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

BlueBolt,

Wow thanks for all the info. I have not decided if I am going to go with the headers I made or try some Maverick/Granada headers. If I get Maverick/Granada manifolds I will have to rework the pipes I have already made. I’m still deciding.

3. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

I am working on things that are time consuming but there really is nothing interesting to take a pictures of. I worked on the wiring harness and worked it down from two boxes to one. I finished wiring the transmission and the O2 sensors. I worked on adding the mufflers and the rest of the pipe to the exhaust system and I heat wrapped the headers. The headers went from a set of patched together Frankenstein headers to a professionally made custom set of tuned long tube headers … well maybe not but they look a lot better than they did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;those shorty headers look like they should work well! I DO NOT envy you with that wiring job,did one a few years back,NOT FUN!!!! ROY.

5. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

Ron,

Good to hear from you. I hope things are going well. The wiring will be a challenge. I think there are 30 wires just for the drivers door and I don’t need any of them.

6. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

I have been making head way but I am very tired of crawling under the car. I think I have been under and back out from under the car at least 300 times this weekend. I WANT A LIFT!!!! Ok I’m better now. I finished the exhaust system enough to start the engine. I still have to finish the back part which I will do after the shocks and rear bumper are installed. Once I narrow the diff the pumpkin will center between the mufflers. I installed the headers, the O2 sensors and I have set the drive shaft in place. The one inch billet spacer my brother and I made works perfect. I have finished the transmission cooler lines and the EGR tube (no picture) along with other odds and ends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Looking good! Keep going man!!!!

8. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;looking more like a complete car all the time!!! You are a sucker for punishment,but I understand why!!! ROY.

9. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

That us why another "quote" fits here.... "If I have to explain you would NEVER understand"

It's JUST how we are and how things HAVE to be done..... we KNOW no other way.

In the end it is ALL worth it.

A LOT of people will NOT UNDERSTAND why it has to be that way for it to be "OK" for us ..... when doing things "good enough" is usually "good enough" in most cases.

The killer is when we do something get something ALL DONE and either we do mNOT LIKE IT or come up with a BETTER IDEA/WAY to do it. So ya know what happens next????

Keep going Jeff. At least you don't have to stop what you are doing because of Winter weather.

10. kick ass work...... i like you drive man . hats off

11. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

Thanks for the comments all. I am still trying to get out from under the car so I can do some work on top. My elbows are all torn up because of crawling around under the car like a combat soldier. The exhaust system took way longer then I thought (as usual) and the transmission cooler lines took me all afternoon yesterday. Thanks for the complements it helps.

Roy: yes I am a sucker for punishment but I am learning a lot. I am learning that using a Mountaineer as a donor car for the Comet involves modifying EVERYTHING from the mountaineer so it will work in the Comet. Nothing just bolts in.

John: Yes it is nice I can work year round although when it dips below 70 I have to get the long johns out. Yes I know I am a wimp.

12. 65COMET

65COMET

I hope you guys understood my comment about Jeff! His friends call him 'McGiver' because he ALWAYS finds a way to do something!!The Comet in my Avatar is mine and I built most of it[cage,paint,and interior were farmed out],so I know where he is coming from!!! ROY.

13. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

Hey Roy,

I love the McGiver reference. He is my hero. I would really like to see your car sometime. Any chance you are getting down this way for any shows? There is a show put on by the Southern California Cougar and Mercury club that my daughter and I are going to go to in October.

14. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;I'll see you there! I have only missed one since they started the show!!!!Do you want me to bring your parts?Remind me what you needed[CRS]!!!! ROY.

15. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

Roy, That's excellent news. I will PM you about the parts.

16. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Jeff I've been watching this restoration you and your daughter are doing, and its nice to know the good things that go on out there, a good thing about internet! What I'm saying is to often the good stories aren't mentioned. Make sure once seats are in it before you quit for the night the two of you just sit in it for awhile.
    And yes I'm impressed the job your doing too, that Mountaineer engine is a good choice.....Al

17. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

Ec164,

Thanks. We are enjoying the build. Actually we do sit in the car sometimes without the seats in it. That’s a nice car in your avatar I see it’s a 64. Do you have a build thread?

18. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Thank You and No, but have several pictures of the build on this site under 64 65 comet old drag cars picture thread....Al

19. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

My goal this weekend was to work on top of the car and not go under it at all. I was successful and had a much better time than previous weekends. I worked on installing the radiator which included enlarging the radiator opening and welding in new mounts, built a fan shroud from the mountaineer fan shroud and installed the power steering lines. I&#8217;m now working on mounting the trans cooler, installing the gas pedal and cable, the fuel lines, vapor canister and starting to lay out the wiring. I&#8217;m headed towards the first start.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][URL="http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/jpearl_/112_1062.jpg%5b/IMG"][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/jpearl_/112_1062.jpg[/IMG[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]]<o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    <o:p>[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]</o:p>
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][IMG][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][URL="http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/jpearl_/112_1066.jpg%5b/IMG"][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/jpearl_/112_1066.jpg[/IMG[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]]<o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    <o:p>[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]</o:p>
    [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][IMG][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][URL="http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/jpearl_/112_1068.jpg%5b/IMG"][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/jpearl_/112_1068.jpg[/IMG[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

20. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

My goal this weekend was to work on top of the car and not go under it at all. I was successful and had a much better time than previous weekends. I worked on installing the radiator which included enlarging the radiator opening and welding in new mounts, built a fan shroud from the mountaineer fan shroud and installed the power steering lines. I&#8217;m now working on mounting the trans cooler, installing the gas pedal and cable, the fuel lines, vapor canister and starting to lay out the wiring. I&#8217;m headed towards the first start.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

I'm a big fan of the car tilter.

When will they be available in a kit at Pep Boys?

22. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

Subscribed.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

23. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

JunkYardFrog: I like it I think everyone should have a car tilter. Wouldn&#8217;t it be nice to go out to your car and tilt it on its side. It would be much easier to clean the inside like that. All the fast food wrappers would just fall out the door. We could also make a new sport called car tilting. I haven&#8217;t quite come up with all the rules yet but something like who could tilt their car the farthest the fastest without it falling on its roof

Kustom.Falcon. Very cool car. I enjoyed reading your build thread.

24. It's already available in kit form at Lowe's..........

25. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

... some assembly and fabrication required ...

26. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

That reminds me! I've heard farm boys talk about the sport of cow tipping.

However, Wikipedia says it's a myth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_tipping

27. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

Indeed!

28. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

Right now we are enjoying daytime temps in the 70's..... cooler once the sun goes down.... much shorter days..... most cruise nights shutting down until next year.

Actually it is a great time of the year "weather-wise". The leaves on the trees are turning colors as a reminder of "what comes next". Not like we have to be reminded. Plus you never know HOW SEVERE or MILD the Winter weather will be. Thankfully I have a pretty nice space to work on my car.... actually the tube chassis I picked up a few weeks ago.

I have always wanted to build a hot rod "MAX-detailed" 100%.

There is NO way I afford to build the "hot rod" of my dreams (Willys coupe) nor to be able to come close to having the things many hot rods of today have. Nor do I have ALL of the skills needed to go the "Kiwi Kevin" route.

One thing I am concentrating on is doing "ALL" things the BEST I can.... or calling in the "many" favors I am "owed" from quite a few of my hot rod friends..... I'll be a "fun Winter"..... hopefully NOT a cold & snowy one!!!!
    [​IMG]

29. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

John,

Good luck with your winter and keep me up to date on what you are doing. We are spoiled here and I keep that in mind when I start to complain about things. Have fun with your build.

30. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

Double

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012