Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to do when your health fails. And you can't work on your cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod--willys, Oct 2, 2012.

1. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

I'm having some health problems so what do you do when you are confined to your old lazy chair. Well TV sucks. So I'm thankfull that I have my lap top. So here I am, looking for things to read. Thank God I have H.A.M.B. I have been going over every post for the last week. I have done some posts myself. But I would love to be in my shop working on anything other than being in my old lazy chair. I guess it's better than looking at grass from the underside.:(

2. RatPin

RatPin

That's a tough question. Even just being out in my shop and surfing the web with some good music on would be better than being stuck in the living room all day. The only problem would be that I would probably have trouble staying put and not trying to work on something.

I hope you're back wrenching before too long friend.

3. blackout

blackout

The HAMB keeps you involved. Hang in there, we will all reach that point one day.

4. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Get better soon man! I have a broken hand and haven't been able to work on my car for 9 weeks now!
    J

5. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Thank you guys. These GOLDEN YEARS suck>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

6. blackout

blackout

ha ha yeah I have been sayin that lately

7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go thru this now and then due to age and back issues. Drives me nuts, then when I THINK I'm better, I go full tilt-them guess what--another few days in the shade. When we get older, we think we can still do what we used to but the injuries, age and other issues will let us know real quick that it ain't so--I'm slowing WAY down for sure and some days I can't do anything--good luck and keep a positive outlook.

8. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I'm not there yet but heading in that direction... I recently finished the last body restoration/resurrection I'm ever going to do. No more painting other than the small amount I need to do in order to finish my roadster. After that....No more building cars from scratch for me.

Too painful on the 'ol skeletal structure and the paint chemicals are starting to tell that there winning the fight.

Find another way to enjoy the hobby that doesn't commit you to ridin' the recliner all day...

9. Doctor said make a life decision this summer. Continue working on cars and tear up my shoulder one more time and he couldn't rebuild it again or enjoy what I've done to this point and find a different way to enjoy the hobby. I now volunteer every Sunday at the local vintage drive in restaurant. They have 33 shows during the year. The proceeds go to charity. We do security, visitor parking and crowd control. I work my butt off for about two hours in the morning and again when they do the awards. But the heaviest thing I have to lift are some small signs and a few cones. The rest of the day I spend visiting with other car people. It's been the most fun I've had in a long time.

10. Thats a hard one I am facing now i worked last Sat night and the next day could not stand without the back screeming at me and I am only half way done. like some others I have this one then the 1918 olds for Marcus now only 8, then I will drive and injoy them and do miner things.

11. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I know where you're coming from.
    I do what I can, and what I can't oh well maybe on a better day!
    I'm not a "seasoned citizen" quite yet, but my body seems to be headed there faster than my mind is!
    We men grow old, but we mature at a much slower rate!
    Just my observations.
    KK

12. scrubba

scrubba

Folks , I understand what this fellow is going through . I was forced to retire back in 2000. I nearly bought the Farm then . Through Physical Therapy , as little medicine as I litterly HAD to have , a stict diet , I got halfway back . Meanwhile , I work on stuff I still can and as to the stuff I can no longer do, well, I farm it out .

Meanwhile , I found out I was pretty good at making models as i had spent years making parts for cars and vans .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do a lot of diorama buiolding these days . Generally, it takes a year to do one service station . They're in 1-24th scale or 1/2 inch equals a foot .............

scrubba

13. Growing old ain't for pussie's.
    I know where your at, It sucks.

14. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

I to have more issues as i get older ,i can still tolerate most days . anyway during our long winters i build models like the cars i have , I have them in diff stages like how i drove them over the years . tends to be fun to do russ

15. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

What I used to do all day now takes all day to do!

16. Model T1

Model T1

I really have little to add to this. Nearing 55 year wedding anniversary and closer to the 74 year old mark than 73. Got two new hips several years ago and did great. But lately I just plain got lazy.
    Other than driving 1000 miles to see our kids twice this summer, I hardly even keep our five acres looking good. Garage is full of unfinished projects and all I do is sit and play with this damned computer. This site has been great for me, as have a few others. But it's not getting me off my butt and in the garage.
    I keep sayin tomorrow. but I don't know how many of those I have left. Yes, old age ain't what we expected. But it beats the other choice! Maybe I'll work on one of the old cars----------- Tomorrow!

17. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

How about moving that chair to your shop and inviting some friends over . Get a dvd player out there and find some old hot rod movies, etc. Where do you live ...I'll fire up the Ford and come over.

18. Two back surgeries and years on my feet have taken their toll. But I keep digging. Two hundred mile trip to Bastrop last weekend was good and not real sore on Monday. Swollen ankles and stiff back was all.But I'm better than I was six months ago.

19. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

mentor others........

20. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

fuck tradition now its time for power steering now anyting that keeps you on the road fellas overdrive autos and power disc brakes

21. This is from George Burns who lived to be over 100.
    When asked how he keeps going at an advanced age, he said when you get old, with everything you do you have to "make an effort".
    What once came easily and without even noticing we now must make a conscious effort to do.
    As far as health issues though, I guess you will just have to tough it out and hang in there until things improve, then make an effort. Good health does not seem to linger very long after we get older.Make hay while the sun shines as the old saying goes and do what you can when in good health, and plan and play on the hamb when feeling down.;)

22. Hot Rod Willy ...keep the faith ...Maybe some neighbor boys are interested in your knowledge in return for some help....
    In closing Joint the Chapel on the HAMB.......and pick up the good book..

23. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Hot Rod Willy all I can say to you is just never give up. Stay positive and try to keep as active as you can, enjoy what you can do. In 2004 I was given two years to live, I have an incurable lung disease and I am on oxygen constantly. I can do virtually nothing. Like you I read the HAMB. I have an O/T car that other my introduction I have never mentioned but have taken a few shots for having it (never replied to them). I needed something with heat/air and was easy and fun to drive that would also hold my oxygen. I just hope I do not go sitting in a chair.

Just do not ever give up.

24. vintagedrags

vintagedrags

Is the health issue so bad you cant be out in the garage taking measurements or making a list of needed parts for the next project? With being an amputee (below the knee left leg) I know that this can be frustrating. When I'm bummed about not being able to accomblish something, I do mangage to hobble my way out to the shop and at least read a good rag or plan the next step when i can get back out and work.
    Hope you are up to wrenching soon!!

25. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

bought a gopro in car camera for video when my son takes the modelA i built in 66....i ride along as a passenger thru those videos

check out the videos at youtube... a30gasser

ride with me at eaglefield & at old towne camerillo..........

26. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

like they said u have to keep active. samamasham i have had both my shoulders done the second won was a replacement they actually turn it upside down the socket becomes the ball etc,it might pay u to check into it.now i have a bum left leg from to many years of holding the clutch in on my mixer but i get out there anyway .pain kinda goes away when your intent on what your doing.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  27. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

There's no escaping old age.
    Last year- I built a garage w/ tall ceiling so I could work on my 32 w/ a 4 post lift. Can't crawl around on the floor anymore.

It's not a sin to pay someone who can do some of the work you can't do. You've paid your dues & you don't have to explain yourself to anyone!
    Write a check if you have to & drive!

28. Lemonhead

Lemonhead
    from Virginia

Teach younger guys your tricks

29. afaulk

afaulk

48 Ford said what i was thinking so ....X-2:D

30. Downtime

Downtime

that was going to be my thought, find some one like me in your area who is just beginning, but wants to learn. Just don't give up or stop and your good to go..