Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painting a motor, tips?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearhead Graphics, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Getting ready for my motor swap. Going to do a nice paint job on this motor before install.
    Its GREASY outside, valve covers leaked before. Have hit it a couple times with degreaser and pressure washer, but it needs more

What do you guys degrease your motors with?

Also, when i go to buy paint at the shop do I need them to do anything special to the paint so it will take the heat? Dont want to do a rattle can job, want it to match what the truck will be painted in the future.

Thanks

2. Easy off oven cleaner,,it's amazing and does the job! HRP

3. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

regular automotive paint works fine just make sure to use thin coats.

4. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Eastwood has a three part kit I used with a cleaner primer and paint. I painted a block silver and it has lasted years. I will try to pull a part number if they still have it.

5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Do a search. There are quite a few threads on the intricacies of painting engines!

6. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Im doing my 283 the last few days. Degreaser and shots of Brake Clean and a brush for the tough spots. Orange Citrus Stripper and a scotch bright for the paint. Worked great. I will wipe it down with Grease and Wax Remover before I paint it. My brother just did his flathead this way and it turned out real well.

Sent from my Droid powered Samsung Galaxy S

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You can paint them just like you would a car body. Use epoxy primer first, then topcoat with your favorite color catalyzed enamel. It will stay that way for years and not burn off like you think it would.

Don

8. outlaw256

outlaw256

just what don said!.ive painted engines yrs ago that still have the color on them and still look good with regular auto paint.a/enamel never have base coat /cleared one yet but im going to soon.

9. 1953pickup

1953pickup

There is a Dollar Store product that works great. It's called . Awesome. Must be one of the best cleaners on the market for everything .For a dollar you can't beat it.
    Works great on white walls, convertible tops. Just be careful not to let stay on the paint. I know guys that there wifes say they use it in there washing machines to get there husbands dirty cloths clean.

10. detroitboy27

detroitboy27
    from katy, tx

look into the por 15 kit, it is not that expensive, and comes with everything you need to clean and paint your motor

11. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

brake cleaner

12. larry k

larry k

"HEY" ALL YOU GUYS GOT DA DO IS TAKE YOUR PAINT GUN ,TURN THE FAN DOWN AS TIGHT AS IT WILL GO AND SPRAY CHEAP THINNER ON THAT GREASY BLOCK ,THE OIL WILL RUN RIGHT OFF , SEE ITS SO EASY & CHEAP $ TOO...:eek:,

13. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

What he said

14. I'm working on cleaning up a greasy SBC as we speak and I first used engine degreaser and a hose. Then I picked up some small wire brushes, some rags, and used brake clean. The brake clean in large quantities was a little rough on the old gaskets so keep that in mind. It will also irritate your skin pretty bad so try not to get it on you for long.

15. Moloko

Moloko

I also use oven cleaner, it really works well. It will even take the old paint off, just spray it and get out!

I also use a wire wheel on a grinder, and then spray it down with brake cleaner. After that I just spray away with the paint.

16. Moloko

Moloko

I also use oven cleaner, it really works well. It will even take the old paint off, just spray it and get out!

I also use a wire wheel on a grinder, and then spray it down with brake cleaner. After that I just spray away with the paint.

17. Arky_118

Arky_118
    from Arkansas

18. Clean Clean Clean >>>>.

19. I power wash with a good degreeser, then I take a strong mix of Tide laundry detergent and a scrub brush, one like you clean floors with. it is work but you can get it clean enough to make paint stick.

I even do the tide and scrub brush with one I have had hot tanked. Be sure and rinse thoughly after to get all the soap residue off.

20. Irishman

Irishman

Funny, I just did mine. Powerwashed it, degreaser, wire brush on a grinder, small wire brush on a cheap ass HB die grinder, more degreaser, rinse, dry.

I just hit it with Duplicolor engine primer and then engine enamel.

Can't testify to longitivity, but it looks ok.

21. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

22. Irish,
    There is an engine in a friends roadster (I think it is the fifth body for that engine) that I painted with duplicolor after a thorough cleaning in '97. It has had countless trips to the car wash for a spritzing and still looks like it did the day I installed it in its first car. Unless they have really cheapened it up that duplicolor is some tough stuff.

By the way,
    I watched a movie called kill the irishman the other day, that guy had more lives than a cat. You're not that irishman are you?

23. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Thanks guys, never thought of oven cleaner, but it makes sense.
    Have a bead blaster scored to clean up my intake so i can get the block cleaned up and shot and my intake ready to go on.

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If bead blasting engine parts make damn sure you get all that stuf off and out of everything.

25. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

26. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That is true, and even high heat engine paints seem to burn off or change colors on the exhaust ports of those motors. My Son has a 455 Olds that we painted with Imron and the exhaust ports and where the heat block off plates are on the intake it has gotten slightly darker in those spots. Olds and Pontiacs just have that issue because of the way the heads are cooled.

No biggie, those spots just show you actually drive the car. :D

Don

27. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

Saltflats right. I duct tape the all the holes on my intakes before I blast them.

28. Hey gearhead,
    I just read your title and I just have to know what on earth are motor tips? Are they anything like beef tips only metal? :D:D

Sorry my meds are just starting to work. :eek:

29. Stays on just fine if you don't light it off. :D