Register now to get rid of these ads!

REAL Wheelstander underconstruction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemiwheelstand, Sep 30, 2012.

1. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello all,as I have allready formally introduced myself in the introductions I thought it proper to show my hotrod.64 A100 wheelstander being built buy the rules set forth by the NHRA in the Exihbition/wheelstander supplement rules witch are at best very grey.I have been building it for to long and the time has come to finish.I thought the people on here would appreshate the the machine as I am trying to finish.Not many construction pics as I do not care to be remined of the hundreds opon hundreds of hours,of dirt,grime and sweat into this thing I am only looking forward. so here are some current pics and since the pics I have already layed down alot more steel on the chassis.Hope to find some incourgement here.
    Truck is center steering,has two independent brake systems(foot brake,steering brakes,6 calipers on rear,no front brakes)one ton GM Eaton rear end 5:13s open,strange axles, REAL american spindle mount MAGS up front ,JW powerglide Motor is 392 Hemi,6-71 enderle fuel system ect....... best of every parts that I can't afford. Good Day Chris

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Cool you are going to install left and right brakes on the rear to steer it and a window in the floor so you can see where you are going?

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hi again,the brakes are as follows,one master cylinder for the left side witch controls 2 calipers and one master cylinder for the right which controls 2 calipers.Left and right are independent of each other and will be operated buy my right hand by a lever for left and a lever for right.The is a seperate master cylinder to the left of the steering column operated by my left foot which are just to stop with 2 calipers.
    NO HOLE IN THE FLOOR.I will be looking through the windshild,which is not there,looking over the dash, my line of sight will be 100 or 200 ft down track.
    Chris

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The engine "sub frame" pivots and is sprung? So is part of a wheelstanders' wheelstand, an "illusion"? Butch/56sedandelivery

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Reminds me of Bill Goldens Little Red Wagon. :D Very cool project.

Don

6. Looks good,I hope you will be able to have some idea where you are on the track with the nose high in the air. HRP

7. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Yes the whole subframe is sprung,But it only has about 3/4 of inch of actual movement total so NO illusion this is the same set up The Little Red Wagon has used for over 40 years, and remeber dragstrips are not completely flat.
    C

8. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Why did you choose the truck rear?

9. edweird

edweird

i like it alot. whats your plans for a name and what color will it be?

10. Hi Chris,
    Great looking project and I can tell your a man with a plan. Your not reinventing the wheel and that's a good thing. I like well thought out ideas and yours is just that. That Hemi should do the trick power wise and I bet you have thought about a dry sump oil system and the fuel system needing a movable pickup. I like many have seen the Little Red Wagon run many times back in the day and yours will be just as good. The initial shake down runs should be fun at first until you get your feet wet.
    Well welcome to the HAMB and thanks for posting your project so that we can see what your up to. I bet you've had many a sleepless night figuring it all out.
    If you get a chance post some more pictures as you make progress. You know there are only a few guy's like yourself that have what it takes to take on a project of this magnitude, never mind the "Balls" to drive it.
    Good Luck,
    Johnny Sweet

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Oh I am loving this.

12. Hi Guy's
    This one is worth posting large pictures so everyone that's interested can see.
    Johnny Sweet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. edweird

edweird

Man, thats gonna be fun!

14. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello,I'm glad to read that people are liking what I am building and thank you for the nice comments.I find that I also like answering questions about how it works .There is always shady info out there about how these things are put together
    Now,the question about the rear.Short answer is:this IS the rearend that you find under most if not all wheelstanders.Long answer is many:housing is all steel,heavy and strong.Center is removable for service and rebuilding,huge bearings and standard 1350 u joint 11.5 inch ring gear and very low gear sets are factory,4:11,4:56,4:88;and 5:13 there are other resons but this should give idea think of it as a gigantic 9inch ford.
    Paint will be Ford Autumn orange metallic with very big blue and green metal flake,cage and subframe will be red
    Name will be :STRIP SHOW
    No dry sump system just a 10quart pan,filter and stock pump with milodon screen it worked in the 60s it will work today. No swing fuel pickup either 7 gallon alum tank big vented cap,fuel return and vent An 16 bung at very back of bottom of tank.
    Chris

15. burnout2614

burnout2614

Freakin Sweet!! I want to see it run when you get it done. peace

gmhillbilly likes this.
  16. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Well now. This is interesting!

17. you damn sure have my attention.

18. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Very Cool Project, Not one you see everyday, Thanks for posting the build, Tim Jones

19. Awesome build!! These things always get the crowds on their feet!!

Does the drivetrain subframe pivot at the hole in the frame by the #4 zoomie?

I imagine it is VERY important to have a real strong rear end!! A broken axle would ruin your day real quick!!

Keep it up!! (pun intened lol)

Bill

20. RFOSTER

RFOSTER

This is going to be sweet!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

21. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello, last post of the evening for me,yes the subframe pivot/mounting point, is the hole buy the zoomie(weed burners)pivots are 1 inch bolts.And any wheelstander not running a full floating axle(most would be 8 lug)with drum brakes,but drum brakes are NOT permitted,I wanted to us 5 lug automotive wheels so housing has big ford ends,Strange axles,drivestruds and all Wilwood hardware.
    Good nite ,Chris

22. Oh man.. I'm getting goosebumps.

23. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

So why not use a ford 9", or mopar rear?

24. Probably for the safety of the full floating axle. If you brake an axle in mid-wheelie, the wheel and tire stay on the truck.

25. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello again,just finished working on the truck for the nite. Now their seems to be some confusion about the choice of rearend so, I will un confuse you. My configuration of wheelstander is as follows:1400HP Hemi,bomb proof JW powerglide,solid nongreasable 1350 spicer u-joint,connected directlly to the rearend yoke,NO DRIVE SHAFT.
    To do a wheelie, the entire weight of the truck plus the 1400hp multiplied through the transmission HAS TO WALK THE PINION GEAR UP THE RING GEAR.As I stated in an earlier post the parts in the Eaton are BIG.The ring gear is 11.5 inches in diameter,very large bearings ,pinion shaft is 2 inch diameter.plus the 5:13s are standard set,the 9inch/8 3/4 rears just plain WILL NOT LIVE.
    Originally the one ton Eaton is a full floating rear.BUT the rules the truck is being built buy as per the NHRA state:Full floating axles are permitted and must use vented disc type car brakes,IF floating axles will NOT be used aftermarket semi-float axles are permitted,SOOOOO my truck has an Eaton rear end modified with dana 60 35spline spider gears in the carrier,big Ford bearing ends to make it a semi float rear with STRANGE 35 spline axles with a 5 on 5 lug spacing using 5/8 titanum dive studs .and as stated in the title THIS IS A REAL WHEELSTANDER
    Good day Chris

26. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

SWEET! Not stealing you thread, but call me when its done. maybe we can do a lil dance at Maple Grove,
    [​IMG]

27. Wow you have done a lot of nice work. Kick Ass project.

28. raven

raven

Two words....

HAMB DRAGS!

29. PJ1

PJ1

That's really kool. Always dug the wheelstanders at Union Grove in the 70's
    They put on a good show and pretty damn fast in the quarter as well.

30. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

COOL! Love the Magnesium Spindle Mounts up front! Lookin Good!