Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Possible Gasser? Challenge accepted! 1956 Austin A50

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A-Wall, Sep 19, 2011.

1. A-Wall

A-Wall

Did you not read what I said at all?

Building the car on a budget, it's not cheap to make 400-450hp out of a vintage engine, maybe if I got some really good deals on SBC parts, but in the end it will be no where near a strong of a block and rotating assembly as this motor provides stock.

my goal with this car is to drive it to the track do a wheel swap, add some timing advance and some race gas and hopefully bang off some high 10sec passes, then drive it back home.

2. I see your point - just being the "period correct" police today, I guess

3. A-Wall

A-Wall

It's amazing how well these valve covers fit. I need to make them work.

[​IMG]

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Willys???? Pretty sure that's a late 50's Anglia.

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Might work fine if you make a flat adapter to bolt to the head, and then drill and tap it to accept the SBC valve covers.
    Is that one of the LQ truck engines?

6. 3day

3day
    from UK

Cool, an A50! I have very fond memories of these cars, this was my second car when i was about 19, then i got the pickup version (A60) before getting a stock black A50. God luck with the build

Attached Files:

7. Bart Taylor

Bart Taylor
    from Olympia WA

I have an a50 that we bought as a parts car for our a55.....sold the a55 today so now not sure what to do with the a50 and I was thinking something similar and this popped up in my google searchings. Looks awesome, can't wait to see the progress!

8. A-Wall

A-Wall

Awesome! got any pics of it?

9. A-Wall

A-Wall

Wow it's weird to see a custom one, it looks miniature.

10. A-Wall

A-Wall

this is a LM7. I was also thinking of making a finned aluminum valley cover. I found this water pump that edelbrock just came out with, it's mainly designed for race use but i think it will be a big hit in the hotrod world because it's the only pump I can find that spins clockwise for LS based engines.

[​IMG]

Due to the clockwise rotation over the stock counter clockwise, I can figure out a v-belt crank pulley and run a v-belt alternator with my chrome Mr. Gasket SBC tensioner, that would be quite awesome for a vintage look.
    This pump also has a relocated thermostat in the center on top, it looks A LOT more old skool then what came on it....

[​IMG]

So even tho this new one comes in a $500 with tax, i think it's well worth it for the look it will give the engine (i can't even find pics of one installed yet), the 20% extra flow it provides and the durability.

I really want people to scratch their heads when they see this motor trying to figure out what it is. I think I can really pull off a vintage look.

11. A-Wall

A-Wall

Still don't know about the valve covers yet, I really wanted to make something that looked like it was stamped steel with the old Chevrolet script in the center, and make them look factory in the perimeter shape of the factory LS valve covers but who knows, adapting the vette valve covers would also be nice and probably easier, but I really don't want to put holes in them for venting...

12. edweird

edweird

that thing will fly with the ls motor, i.m lovin it!i've got a set of v8 stude valve covers if you are interested. very close in size to a chevy.

13. edweird

edweird

names? ,AUSTIN STRANGLER,thats the ONLY name for it!

14. You'll be my hero if you can make an LS motor look good.

I am going to put one in my '57 Chevy... and figured I'd just bolt the hood shut and fuggetaboutit...

Keep us posted!

Sam

15. Bart Taylor

Bart Taylor
    from Olympia WA

We just sold the beige a55 to someone to restore stock, been sitting since 1970s inside. The a50 is in similar condition to yours as far as rust goes so it deserves to be cut up and repurposed :)

[​IMG]

16. A-Wall

A-Wall

Thanks for the offer, what year are they?

I shall do my best!

Woah! It's weird to see another one!

I also have a Beetle.

[​IMG]

17. edweird

edweird

its gotta be the AUSTIN STRANGLER.

18. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

my nephew has built a morris minor gasser with a Ls1 motor. it is fully streetable but so far he has only raced it. the motor has a carb but that is all he has changed. now, i know this is a traditional site and if this doesn't get me banned, you will be surprised how many people will find that engine way to cool. i don't know if anybody has noticed but, there aren't as many people that really care how you built your car at the drags. that is one thing about the nostalgia drags that is neat, they just want to see it run and how fast is it.

19. A-Wall

A-Wall

Urban Dictionary

1. AUSTIN STRANGLER

Just before climax during a blowjob, the penis is withdrawn and the partner is force-fed a mouthful of chips and queso.

Betty wanted me to come in her mouth, but I gave her an Austin strangler instead.

20. edweird

edweird

i just thought it sounded like boston strangler,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,geez! i didnt need to hear that!

21. A-Wall

A-Wall

Ya these motors have a huge following now. One of the reasons I'm doing it is a lot of my friends have LS swapped cars or Camaros and Firebirds. So I'm around these motors a lot and getting to know them well. I'll be the only carbed one tho, and it suits me because I'm the only old car guy of the group. My one buddy has a LS2 swapped RX7, stock bottom end, ported heads, a custom cam and direct port nitrous. He just ran an 8.99 @ 147mph, almost enough for the stock bottom end record. So I'd say these motors are pretty tough. The current record holder also has a RX7 with the aluminum version of my 5.3 turbocharged with a 76mm turbo, all stock long block with a LS6 cam and the car ran a 8.65 @ 167.9...

I hope I can at least get into the 10's :D

Now for it not being a traditional engine, at least the idea is traditional.

22. A-Wall

A-Wall

LOL i just typed it into google and that was the first thing that came up! I think I have to pass on the name now haha.

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That green car is a Ford 100-E Prefect. I had a 4 door one I was putting a 13B Rotary in..........untill we decided to use the car as a trampoline one drunkard night!!:D

Doc.

24. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Pretty sure that little green car is a 59 Anglia... I know the owner, Richard Moore is his name haha They are very similar body styles however! Incredibly similar! haha

Your Car looks like it is coming along great! I love different body styled gassers.

25. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man I'm getting good at this being wrong!! Thanks for the correction, yes I see what you mean, very similar!!;):rolleyes:

Cheers,
    Doc.

26. Pauly da mick

Pauly da mick

Love this Build!!! :D
    Keep up the good work!

27. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

My grandfather had an A55. I was about to say he'd turn in his grave, but from what I can remember of him (he died when I was ten) he'd probably think it good fun. Unless it were my dad and/or my uncle building the gasser ...

28. fleet-master

fleet-master

the 4door 100e's were Prefects, the 2doors were Anglias....:D:D:p

29. fleet-master

fleet-master

btw...cool car your building A-Wall, I had an A60 van a few years back which I wish I had kept.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats an anglia.