Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coker Classic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jedidiah, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

Anybody ever have this happen? The tire is a Coker Classic, 5.60-15. It is on the front of my '37 Ford Pickup. I was running it at 28 psi on an original Ford wheel and it had been balanced. The tire is about 6 months old. I can't say accuratly how many miles but probably around 10,000. This is the third set I have run on the front of my truck without any problems. I bought it through a local distributor. I am going to talk with them tomorrow to see if they will do anything for me. What do you think?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

2. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Never had it happen to one of mine but I run their radial tires, that looks like a bias tire, am I right? Jim

3. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

Yes, it is a bias ply. Sorry for the bad picture.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

4. Hard to see in the photo but it appears the thread is almost gone. HRP

5. ratster

ratster

i am on my 3rd set and no problems with any.

6. Like Rich,I too have had several sets of them and never experienced a problem like that. HRP

7. Ditto, I have nothing bad to say. Cokers have always been reliable for me.

8. Wardog

Wardog

I have had good results also. I hope this is a one off incident. I would defiantly go back to the supplier.

9. Did you purchase road hazard insurance with your tires? HRP

10. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Looks like it might have been worn out to start with .
    MY $.02

11. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

10000 miles in 6 mos? atta boy!

12. killer-D

killer-D

Had a friend that had all kinds af trouble out of his cokers.The tires kept getting knots that would come out on the sidewalls.He seldom drove he custom 49 caddy,the tire had extremely low miles. Coker replaced 4 tires because of the problem ,but my friend still had the trouble of remounting the tire.He finally got fed up and switched to Diamond back.No problems since.
    I have talked with many former coker customers that have been displeased with coker's tires over the years.

13. To my knowledge Diamond Back does not offer Bias Ply whitewall tires. HRP

14. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

When I worked for Duesenberg Motors, we ran them and often had to shave them because they were out of round. No problems like that though. I have them on my Olds now and I'm not sure I like them that much.
    Tom

15. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

More times than not the naysayers havent had problems themselves.

16. killer-D

killer-D

I my self have had cokers and Diamond back.I drive my cars,never trailer,and I drive them in long distances.I tend to think that Diamond back has a better product even though I haven't had a major problem with the cokers. I have had bias ply cokers. I know Diamond back doesn't make bias ply. Lucas tire has them,they are a very good company

17. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

Sorry its taken me so long to get back. I finally made it by the place I bought the tires and they want a receipt to do anything. I figured that would be the case and I`m having trouble finding it. After that they will have to get with Coker to make sure that particular tire came from them. He can't go ahead and do this for me to get the ball rolling until I produce the receipt. I left the tire on the wheel so they could see that it was balanced. He said I will need to take it off the wheel to make sure their isn`t damage to the bead. I`m not sure how that would cause the tread to come off the tire though. I asked him if he ever sees this type of thing happen and he said this is the first time ever. I can see from talking to them that they don`t want to help. I was talking to the owner of the distributorship. I didn`t buy any type of road hazzard and I average about 500 miles a week. I'm not looking to get something for nothing, but if the tire is defective I would like it replaced and am willing to pay a prorated charge. I am going to dig around this weekend to try to find the receipt. If I can't I will call Coker direct to see what they can do. I have run quite a few sets of this same tire without any trouble so I'm not sure what to think. I'll update as soon as I know something.

18. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

It is just a poor picture. I bought them new about 6 months ago. I would say it has about 60 to 70 percent of the tread left.

19. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

That sucks. If we had to save a receipt for everything that we boaght, we'd be buried in them. I think I'd go right to Coker and see what they say. Tell them that you misplaced it.
    Tom

21. flatcrazy

flatcrazy

I would also speak to Coker directly. They will want the serial number off the side of the tire which will tell them how old the tire is and they will pro rate accordingly based on age and tread ware. I had a tire that I bought from a second party and had no problem dealing with Coker directly. I had to buy a new tire and once I received it I shipped the bad one to them so that I had no down time. Once they inspected it they credited my card. They do stand by the tires that they sell.

22. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

......same exact stuff happend to me .

23. I agree with the above, I'd just call Coker direct. I have a set of G78-15's on my '50 Chev and have had no issues with them at all.

24. Jess H

Jess H

Jedidiah,

It’s hard to tell what happened to that tire by the photo. Could be half a dozen things from a road hazard, to a defect in workmanship. Regardless, we will gladly accept that tire back to inspect it (with or without a receipt). If it is determined to be a warranty issue we will replace it on a prorated basis.

You are welcome to call me direct on Monday and I’ll set up the return.

Thanks,

Jess Hoodenpyle
    Vice President - Sales and Customer Service
    Coker Tire Company
    1317 Chestnut Street
    Chattanooga, TN 37402
    Toll Free: 1-800-251-6336

25. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Is that a retread? It looks like it blew part of it off, like the semi-trucks do.

26. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

I will call Monday. I really appreciate the response. -Phil

27. Win lose or draw Coker is a stand up company.

28. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

I spoke with Eric at Coker today. He was very professional and eager to help. He gave me a return number to send the tire back. He said he would call me within 48 hours of receiving the tire to let me know what the deal is. I'm glad to get some help. I'll post back with the verdict.

29. HamD

HamD

On the new ones, pick up a digital laser thermometer. Inspect inboard, outboard and center tread temperatures to reevaluate the psi you're running. I'm not saying that is what happened. Just that it's worth your time and bother with the mileage you're putting on your truck. (and good for you!) Thanks for updating us.

30. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

That sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a try. I'm all for anything that will make my tires last longer! Thanks for the tip.