Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 40 chevy business coupe project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotik, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Hotik

Hotik
    from Usa

Greetings. I was searched for 35-50 coupe for my first custom project about year and a half ago. And then I found one 1940 master 85 business coupe - from here - H.a.m.b. 4 months after nerve-racking, finally the car has arrived to the port. umm.. it looked so much better on pics than the first view what I had then :p but what the heck. Let's do it.
    Today I have done a lot's of work.. but there is still long way to ride first miles. In this thread I post pictures of the constructing.

Eng/Trans - 350/350

There is some pictures for you guys.

First pic is the transport from Ohio
    [​IMG]

And then the first look after sea transport

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ride to home

[​IMG]

meanwhile the car has changed the color for obscure reasons.. and then I started to work. taking to pieces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The frame was not worst but the body had some bad rest-o-job in the
    past.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wooden frame to body removal

[​IMG]

to the sandblast

[​IMG]

and then...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then I had primered all the body and started to fina all the rusted places to repair...but oh - well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

there i have done some welding job also..the edges of inner wheel arches

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  2. Hotik

Hotik
    from Usa

Cutted the front body mounts about 5 inch and back on the frame again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

umm.. :p

[​IMG]

the rear lower edge carving

[​IMG]

and floor..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has Lokar 32" now - cause I like it :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the front seat testing..need to add some more porolon to make it more bushy and vintage.

[​IMG]

I had to cut to shorter the steering column. And make the turning switch and conecover to install the grant steering wheel.

[​IMG]

More pictures coming soon..

questions and suggestions are welcome also :)

Stay tuned :p

Thanks for watching!
    Erkki

3. jratz1966

jratz1966

Nice work so far,what style of car are U shooting for?going to do any custom work on out side? Maybe chopping the top? I'm going to subscribe.

4. JAWS

JAWS

I love 40 Chevies. The only year where the hood sides are separate from the top and removable. I had a model 85 and wanted to to a taildragger but run the headers through the hood side like a lakester. Limefire's I think they call them.

Good lookin project. I'll be watching.

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Nice work so far, you're determined!

6. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

You have a lifted Dodge 4x4 with a rebel flag on the back bumper in Estonia? Awesome! Love the 40 Coupes!

7. Hotik

Hotik
    from Usa

Thanks!

The car will be customized all the way. I want to chop the top also. The body is now removed again to the frame modify. Lately I have finished the rear axle 4 linking and bagging. On front I have removed some spring leafs and installed air-shocks.

..but now.. offtopic.. the ram that I have lifted 9" and rolling on 36's mickey thompsons have some rebel flag stickers on it :p I have a rockabilly lifestyle and like this kind of stuff. http://static1.nagi.ee/i/p/860/14/21503703250a92_o.jpg

more pic's soon :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  8. Hotik

Hotik
    from Usa

Ok.. theres some more what I have worked in last weeks.
    The cuttin of driveshaft. It was first time to do it..so I hope it wont vibrating so much..but we'll see.

[​IMG]

The making of triangulated 4-link and bag fittings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the moment I'm working on brake system (lines, hoses, fittings, line-lock, proportional valve).

9. fordb132

fordb132
    from Norway

Very nice job,there.Good luck with your project......

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

My thoughts exactly!! Great work on the Chevy!!

11. Hotik

Hotik
    from Usa

Made the 10min sketch which is the vision at the moment. think it is like an usual 40 custom coupe :)

[​IMG]

12. cooger

cooger

Looks like you're doing good. 40's are a special breed, kinda made from 39 and 41 parts with a few made up ones thrown in-or whatever they had laying around.
    Here's a pix that might help/hurt your determination to finish it.
    Had it for around 48 yrs., 2nd car i ever owned.
    Cooger

Attached Files:

13. N.Ozols

N.Ozols
    from Latvia

Looking forward to seeing it, keep up the great work!!

Oh, by the way, are there many bagged cars already driving on the roads of Estonia? Right now there are none in Latvia, as far as I know. The laws are just too crazy and nobody has dared to challenge them yet

14. Roadsir

Roadsir

Its impressive that you are building a hot rod in Estonia. Are there a lot of hot rodders there?

My first car was a 40 Chev Sedan (all my friends had Camaros and Novas)

One suggestion I would make to improve the strength and design and safety: On the 37-41 Chevrolet frames the "Hat" construction is not very strong. The top and sides material thickness is relatively thin and brackets welded to the sides can fatigue.

The rear air bag mounts extend inward a fair amount. I would be concerned that they could flex with suspension load and could tear loose from the frame over time. I would suggest a crossmember to tie the two together or add material that would tie the brackets into the top or bottom of the rail.

Chassis engineering and other builders often mount to the flange portion of the frame where the material thickness is greater.

Good luck with the build!

15. Hotik

Hotik
    from Usa

thanks for comment :)

Roadsir: I have think about it too . The frame sides under the bag bracket mount places are over welded with 5mm metal plates as well.. but the idea to tie both on the top would exclude the frame deflection.

hmm.. I have square-tube with 3mm wall next to the bag brackets between the frame bolted under the frame lower frame surface. This is the rear shock mount also.

But will it give a sufficent strenght to the frame on bag brackets to twist by time?

16. Hotik

Hotik
    from Usa

to Normunds..there are not many bagged cars driving in here.. maby 3-4 cars. But I know mine 40 and my frinds 48 chevys are ones that are under construction.

In estonia it's quite a difficult to build a hotrod.. the scene is almost non-exist. But that's what makes them special. When I started building - the one of the biggest newspaper wrote a great topic ("custom's and hotrod's in estonia") it and put it on the cover :D This is how uncommon or rare is the rodding in here :p

17. Hotik...

I am so excited and actually surprised that there is rodding going on in Estonia.

I have a good friend in Tallinn. last time he was here i asked him about life in Estonia, especially cars and there was no mention of rod culture, so it must be pretty rare.

eventually i'm going to go and visit. hopefully i'l see a hot rod or custom while i'm there!

18. Hotik

Hotik
    from Usa

Hey..you probably can't see any of on the streets..but it you visit estonia in 12-14 july 2013..(Haapsalu city) there will take place "american beauty car show". Baltic biggest us cars meeting they say.

19. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Looked like a fairly nice car until you uncovered the rustmites, amazing someone just covered up that much rust. You are doing a nice job of putting it right, should look good when it's done.

20. altraditional

altraditional
    from Estland

Well, if you contact me or Hotik, when you happen to come here, then it might turn out that you can see most of the local rod&custom scene here.

21. Hotik

Hotik
    from Usa

update

rear strut brace on top of the bag fittings to strengthen
    fuel tank painted and installed
    fuel line and fuel level sender
    lokar shifter 32" re-installed and adjusted

..and maybe there's some things i have done also. but so far it seems everything works.

[​IMG]

OLLIN likes this.
  22. Hotik

Hotik
    from Usa

Now the body is on the frame again to finish the trunk floor.

[​IMG]

23. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Nice job saving this one. It still amazes me how they can look solid when painted then, once the research starts its like getting slapped in the face.Good luck. I will be following this one.

24. Hotik

Hotik
    from Usa

25. Hotik

Hotik
    from Usa

Today I've made new rear bumper fittings. And the trunk floor is also almost done.

[​IMG]

26. BadLuck

BadLuck

awesome work.. this will be my next project.. love these cars.. thanks for all the photos... will come in handy later on for me!

27. blue57ford

blue57ford

This picture is just so freaking cool!