Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project 333 [Half Evil] a Mid Engine Roadster DragCar started finally.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Very cool Dave...by the way that is a very unique induction system on the coupe?

2. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

Same thing happened to me recently. My eyes would water and burn so much I thought maybe I had a scratch in my lens. That wasn't it! I'm just getting older and my eyes are starting to go downhill! A trip to the dollar store for some glasses did the trick! Amazing how much difference they made.

3. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Ha ha ha.............I needed a place to park the Crower 8-port so I sat it on top of the six-two's...........Dave

4. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I already have a heavy correction....w/o my glasses I see nothing unless it's 3'' in front of me and nothing after that...........Glad you figured out your problem !......Dave

5. afaulk

afaulk

OK, I've read the entire thread..... There's one undeniable fact, you're as crazy as I am. I love it! In case of a wreck, you'll definitely be the first one there. About the wheels, ya reckon they're wide enuff?

6. Joe's 32 Ford Sedan

Joe's 32 Ford Sedan

Dave You are really a talented builder,I like what you do.I to had trouble welding not seeing the puddle.I have bifocal glasses but I can't weld with them.I have reading glasses that I use for welding.Go to a eye doctor and get a perscription for reading glasses. Most times your eyes will not get better.Don't take chances with your eyes.
    (You know you have to be tuff to get old.) Joe.

7. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I have welded 98% of the chassis and have it clamped back down on the table....Now onto making all the rearend/chassis brackets along w/ finish mounting the engine...w/ the trans coupler to rearend relationship ect................But have had thoughts of mocking up DeathsDoorSteps 392 Hemi in this thing ?...It is kinda nagging at me..........I would run it in the car w/ eight two barrels..It would allow me the ability to go the track solo w/ no need to depend on others not to mention it would slow the cars potential by a bunch........The blown 421 SBC blown on alky would be harder to be solo....Just a thought....Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clamped back down onto the table.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  8. Race@Rockets

Race@Rockets

Build plates for the hemi and the chevy...that way if you blow one up you wont have to be off the track long...Then put the blower and injector on the hemi and see what happens :)

9. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Finally got the engine mounted and started making the rearend mounting plates, still need to finish up the welding on the engine mounts and drill the 7/16 mounting holes in the rearend brackets and weld into place. Imade the mounts instaed of buying them, The front ones that are clamped. I took moly tubing and turned down the dia. slightly wide enough for the band clamp to register into so it is captured and cut the tube in half..Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. chickenshift

chickenshift

Im glad i found this thread, always love the killer stuff you come up with.. lookin forward

11. AHotRod

AHotRod

Great fabrication Dave

12. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

That last shot as a bare chassis scares the snot out of me, man that thing's short in the nose!! Mad skills.

Scotty.

13. dad-bud

dad-bud

Great looking toy there Littleman. Thanks for posting
    It's sure gonna take some cahonies to lean on that - good luck everytime you take it out to play.
    Cheers.

14. drflex

drflex

nice update...the 392 in that thing would be cool...but why not use your trucks old sbc. run it abit with that then step up to the 421.

15. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

"Slowly but surely" in this case only refers to the build process because we all know this thing won't be slow going down the quarter.

16. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Made some headway on the rear mounting brackets this weekend. I machined 16 bosses that are 1.250'' dia. x .200'' thick w/ 7/16'' thru holes and welded them onto the chassis brackets that will be welded to the chassis rear up-right tubes.....Still trying to figure out what shim thickness I should sandwich on both sides of each bracket so everything fits well and is no trouble to slide in and out after welding.........I did learn too late reading another thread on building a dragster the other day that I should have placed the rear axle closer to the tube...I will employ that on the FED chassis that will be next..........Littleman

[​IMG]

17. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I have thought of that, run the 6x2 94 carb nitrous get up I was playing w/.....I am sure it would be plenty fast enough......But one setup is Alky w/ no water provisions and the other would need a total cooling system and fab.........Littleman

18. Donnj

Donnj
    from North NJ

thanks for sharing Littleman, keep up the amazing work.

19. Dave, Get a cheater lens for your welding helmet, It makes all the difference in the world when welding. Great work by the way.

20. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

The rearend is starting to come together...very slow going thou.........Littleman

[​IMG]

21. Dave, are you going to do any anti-rotation device at teh top of the pumkin? My Mark Williams Chassis has one and sam did one on the Bomb factory digger. I am working on the same mounts on my lakester and planned on adding the link to the QC on it. Shims are an interesting idea, I hope to learn from any feedback. Trent

22. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Tman...........yes, a anti-rotation setup is required...I think I am doing a solid A-arm type setup on top......This will be next once this is all welded up......I used .010'' shim stock on each side of the housing bracket each side...worked great.....I have them out now, kept them in and did all the welding I could reach w/o pulling the housing....I since have had the housing in and out...falls into place each time sliding into the coupler ect.When I do my FED, I plan on doing the traditional pinion nose anti-rotational setup If you have any digger type questions ect.....Rooman and some others here on the hamb are a good resource for the drag racers...I have no idea what I am doing...just trying to fake my way thru this, next time it will be easier for me..I hope........Dave

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  23. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Just about finished up with the rear housing anti- rotational set-up....need to finsh up some welding...Happy w/ the way it came out. I placed it on top since it will be real easy to install and remove...I did it this way...because I thought it would tie the front two upper frame rails together after the rear mounts.....Well atleast that was my thought. I also kept it all below my upper rail....I have no idea really what I am doing !......I only helped bend a few tubes w/ someone building a FED digger a few years ago...This is a first type of build like this for me.....So if someone looks at my pics and thinks something was done wrong...Please speak up...I am all ears....I really am enjoying this build...........Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. 56gasser

56gasser
    from lower al.

Looks good Dave!!!

25. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

you do some really nice work Dave, I worked Dave Miller's short Top Fuel car , Dave always told people that he drove by the seat of his pant's, If one asscheek was up he steered the other way:D, BTW your drivers compartment looks a hell of alot safer than dave's Did :eek:, , Tim Jones

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  26. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

That is a neat car...never seen that before......Do remember the wheelbase on it...just curious ? And what yrs did it run..How fast..looks on the short side for the era......Thanks for posting, Dave

And yes...I am hoping to have a strong pilot compartment since I would be the first on scene to any head on smash-up....I am adding another diagonal on the sided in the leg area, still need to do this. Decided on this after a racer was killed @ our local track this summer from a guard rail that came thru the car during a wreck...May he rest in peace........

27. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Hi Dave the wheelbase was 200 most the other car were 300 back then, Ran in the late 80's , My daughter had a photo album that had a time and speed of 5.37 at 270 MPH ,I really don't remember where this was at, most of the time we ran in the 250, 260 MPH range, the car is at Garlits musuem now, Glad to hear your adding some more bars in the drivers area, I remember seeing the pics of the car you spoke of Very sad deal, Tim Jones

28. I saw that posted here. Poor guy. RIP. I have the same thoughts on overbuilding. First on the scene is right

That anti-rotation piece is beefy.

29. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

Diamond Dave Millers shorty top fuel car was awsome. Got to see it run in Spokane Wa.