Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fuel tank filler sealing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by upspirate, Sep 30, 2012.

1. upspirate

upspirate

Here's today's question.

The fuel fill was located to a plate screwed on to the tank.The sealer that they had used was all hard and allowed fuel to leak when full or sloshing.
    Question is what to use to reseal the plate?

I will be cleaning the rust off the plate,and brass wire brushed around the tank as best I could (didn't want to cause sparks).

I did a search on here and some suggested Permatex #2 so my thoughts are to use a nice thin layer of this over the contact surfaces and screw holes.Or would I be better to cut a gasket and use Permatex on both side of it?

I did get lucky, the tank is clean as new inside with no sealer to dissolve if I run E-10

Attached Files:

2. rrthiv

rrthiv
    from S.E.Ohio

Everything i have has a cork gasket on it,but the hole is smaller.

3. I would use a cork gasket also,,NAPA sells cork gasket in a sheet so you can make your own. HRP

4. Verminator

Verminator

Why not cut the plate smaller, and solder it to the tank -- -or have a radiator shop do it. No more problems.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gently scrape and sand all of the residue off. Double the number of fasteners, and use a cork gasket, with gasoline resistant sealer on both sides. Don't over-tighten and distort the plate.

6. upspirate

upspirate

I thought about doing that Verm, but I figured rather than spend that much & go through that,I'd just gasket & seal.

For the expense of having a shop do it,I'll add a little and get a new one made as I can go a little larger capacity.

Trying to get this done for a few events in the next 2 months, then may have a larger one made if I still have the truck.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll do the gasket route.

7. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Most gasket sealers are not 100% impervious to gasoline. Gasgacinch is, but it only works well on tight close fitting joints. Seal-All tolerates fuel, but it isn't very flexible when cured. Per what other s have suggested, I would find or make a gasket of cork or a fuel proof rubber/elastomer.

8. upspirate

upspirate

Made a gasket out of sheet cork, and sealed with Permatex#2.....got it done and looks good.

Still have to make a new gasket for the S/W fuel sending unit as it's leaking some also

Will paint tank in a few days, and will see if leaks next week sometime on fillup,but it shouldn't.

thanks again HAMB

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Permatex makes one sealer that they state is gas or alcohol resistant. Says "Fuelproof" on the label.
    I'm having leaking problems on a Tanks, Inc. universal tank where a supplied plate and gasket are used to seal the side fuel filler opening when you use the other one on top.
    After a conversation with a friend who had the same problem on a similar tank until he finally welded the extra opening up, I've decided to take it to the radiator shop where he can boil or flush out all traces of gas, then solder a patch over the hole and be done with it. Real PITA to pull the tank, and once is enough!

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'm with Verm. A permanent simple fix. Once tinned and soldered it will never leak, no future leak issues.

11. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

#2 Permatex is not fuel proof, so hopefully the gasket is adequate.