Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Oldsmobile: Jaguar XJ6 IFS/IRS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ELpolacko, Sep 28, 2012.

1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Steve linked it in post #7, and now he's gonna make me want to do it over.

2. daddio211

daddio211

I'm so sick of haters. A highly talented guy, a visionary even, who is willing to impart his knowledge for no personal gain gets a one star rating!? I think the ratings should be public so these ass hats can't anonymously drop a turd on an otherwise GREAT thread!

Carry on Mr. Steve, we humble followers are drooling over another great build!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

3. Just spent the last hour getting the Jaguar carcass out of the shop then mocking up the front suspension and figuring front ride height. This will put the leading edge of the rocker about 8" off the ground. The frame is 2" lower at 6" off the ground.

The owner is supposed to be in town this week so we can sort out the final ride height. uploadfromtaptalk1348880200178.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

4. z-man just read your thread, awsome.

ELpolacko, can't wait to see the rest of this build. 1 stupid unrelated question, how did you get the car on that table?

5. ha ha! why didn't i think of that.

6. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Steve should have his own show, a car guy version of Holmes on Homes. I look forward to this thread, always great workmanship.

7. 2dr_sedan

2dr_sedan

Can't wait to see this finished.

8. What is the track width on the Jag?

9. The front is 59+ and the rear is just a tad over 61

10. Does the diff have the 2.88 rear gears?

11. Darkharts

Darkharts
    from Corona

Between my pop and i we have two olds- his came with the a jag front end already installed about 90% he had to work out the steering and brakes. It lowered it quite a bit and it rides nice- i think he had to put the bigger motor springs in his. Mines been apart twice and now has a scarebird kit on it. The brakes are hard to work out and in your case since it has air you get to go under also like i did to preserve the firewall. I don't know how the stock booster was going to make the disks work on the set up the pros did. Pop had to use a hydroboost system that was a "kit" that needed some more work. I went under floor with a modified pedal from a 34 ford underfloor set up and then a rod to an 8" booster under the seat. You loose true duals since the rod goes through the opening but i run a big y set up. I think you will have it more then covered based on your pictures and skill but i can get your more images and info if you need any more options. I did mine to look stock and it even keeps the original pedal pad and leaves the most room.

Looking forward to seeing it done right,

danny

Attached Files:

12. Sure does, with the stock 371 J2 and hydramatic should be a nice highway flyer!

13. Nice work.
    Always though the guys with the "Yard T V Show" where a little sloppy.

14. kinda confused about you saying you lost true duals? what did you mean? thanks and really cool rides!:D

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Ha ha ha this sort of makes up for all the Jags with Chev engines.

16. JEM

JEM

17. JEM

JEM

18. Darkharts

Darkharts
    from Corona

"kinda confused about you saying you lost true duals? what did you mean? thanks and really cool rides!:D"

The rod for the swing pedal lines up and goes through the frame hole for the exhaust how i ended up doing it. the olds has an X member frame that hangs low and makes things fun in addition to tredel vac boosters andother fun stuff.

Attached Files:

19. Subscribed. Steve's work is always amazing and as a matter of fact, I will be picking up an 85 XJS V12 tomorrow morning. The front suspension will end up in my 60 F100. I am curious if the rear will be the 2:88 or the 3:54, the owners manual it came with said 3:54 'Powr-Lok', but that seems a little high for a highway cruiser with a TH400 for a trans. Guess I'll know once I get it home.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  20. koolkemp

koolkemp

This is gonna be a great build! Thanks for letting us tag along Steve !!

21. JEM

JEM

The thing to remember is that the Powr-Lok carrier for the 2.88 gears will NOT accept any shorter gears unless you come up with a spacer ring to fit under the gear. The 2.88 carrier was unique to that ratio.

2.88 is fine if you've got a healthy big-block and a three-speed transmission, otherwise...

22. Weasel

Weasel

Thanks for that tidbit Jem - I am planning on picking up a late XJS rear with outboard brakes but cannot find for sure whether there were any diff ratios other than 2.88 - searching on the interweb thingy gives me conflicting information such as 3.54 at least in late Euro XJS. I guess I'll just have to check it out in person at the local 'big cat cemetery'....

23. MLG

MLG

Good build thread-----------
    Question here -- I'm also doing Jag IFS&IRS swap on 46 Dodge Pickup/241 Red Ram Hemi/ 150 H.P. Looking on info to upgrade to 3.54 or 3.77., would I be better off to swap 3rd member?
    Anybody got one for sale?
    Thanks for the info.
    Milton---- Build thread here 46 Dodge Pickup/241 Hemi Powered

24. JEM

JEM

Here's a question I've never seen answered, and I don't have enough experience with the parts concerned to answer it myself (yet).

The Jag pumpkin is a Dana 44 derivative and it will accept Dana 44 diffs though there's a mismatch of ring-gear bolt diameter and you need to pay attention to axle spline count.

All the XJ rearends used the early Dana 44 spline count (19 spline, I think.)

All the aftermarket Dana 44 limited-slips (at least all the ones I care about) appear to be the later 30-spline pattern.

Does anyone know whether the later Jag rears (XJ40/X300/X308) kept the 19-spline inner drivers or whether they updated to the 30-spline shafts at some point?

25. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

these type of threads are my favorite , where some one with a lot of talent and ability , polish a turd an make it shine , gives us lesser backyarders a free education , build on

26. Weasel

Weasel

Here's a useful tech linky with photos on the Salisbury vs. Dana 44.

May not answer your question but a friend of mine had 4 diffs replaced in 46,000 miles on a then brand new 1992 XJ40 before he traded it in disgust for a new Beemer....

millpower-race-engineering.piczo.com/?g=55219040&cr=5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Can we let Steve do the build and quit muddying up the thread with all this other stuff?

28. Scott, can you give me some ride height dimensions? Ground to rocker at the front and rear. This Olds frame hangs down 2" past the bottom of the rocker and to put the car where I want means the frame is pretty damn close to the ground.