Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember Your First Model Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmitchell70, Jan 20, 2011.

1. edweird

edweird

any pics of the boothill express?

2. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1962 Dodge Dart 440 (I thought it had a 440 engine for 15-20 years)
    Jo-Han or maybe AMT.
    ...Red Wine Metalic. I think i only painted it once.
    ..other models got painted several times (after a break fluid bath!)

It's still one of my dream cars! (It's so Ugly it's COOL!)

3. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  4. Winter of 1980: Dad and 4yr old me built out of an AMT '40 Ford coupe scrap a black w/ white-yellow-orange-red flames...toothpicks for axles, and BIG reverse chrome wheels off a Tractor trailor rig model. Guess I invented the "huge wheel look" at the age of 4.:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

5. kenmo

kenmo

My first was the Black Widow I believe it was Monogram 1/24th scale and 2nd was the XR7 by AMT 1/25th scale... I got both for Christmas. I was about 8 at the time in 1962... I opened the gift containing the Black Widow first....

6. all the early amts ....we built an inclined drag strip out of plywood and held weekly meets.....you worked your ass off for enough allowance to go buy another car for parts......holy crap!!!!!! nothings changed in 50 years

7. outlaw256

outlaw256

man did i build some models back in the day. even won a contest at a local hobby store when i was a kid.but as far as remembring the first i cant even remember the last one.and its been a long long time ago.but them models did help teach me what certain parts of a car were.i really do miss those nites of staying up late in front of the tv putting model cars together.

8. GTOMUSTANG

GTOMUSTANG
    from ct

Boy, that was 250+ models ago...I guess it was a 29 RPU in metal. Or a snap together 34 Ford panel. either way, I always found Testors spray paint in a can to work horribly. Pactra no better. And Testors glue loved to leave little strings, but the orange and yellow tube is the only game in town around here...still got my autoworld catalog from Scranton PA...

I should invest in an airgun and nail polish thinned into paint, but I still use spray cans from Walmart (not Rustoleum, that takes days to flash off). Looks bad some times, but there's some neat metallics. But I do as much wiring as I can with thread, and dipsticks with stretched sprue. Funny how the guys at contests will do killer paint, and leave the engine alone. Its not hard to go to a car show, and find out what wire goes where...

9. sumner41

sumner41

built those with my mom. also mg. i think it was a td

10. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

Most of my summer afternoons as a child were spent like this..... some of the best times of my life have always involved destruction of some kind. Go figure.

11. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

I recall the kind that smelled like oranges. It was worthless also and in only a couple months wherever the glue was applied turned orange.

12. edweird

edweird

yep i remember that shit!it wouldnt get you high either.

13. I don't remember the first one, but I do remember building this one. I still remember doing the white lettering on the tires.
    [​IMG]

14. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

My first kit was the AMT Ala Kart.. second was the Yellow Sweet T by Monogram.. then the Roth Surfite.

15. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

ya know i can not for the life of me remember the #1 st model car.
    as we mostly rolled them on FIRE as kids do ya know ...lol
    stopped small cars early in life ...paid 10bucks for my #1 real car at age 12.
    back in ( i really wont say exactly as to give away my real age)
    1958-1960 trust me I'M OLD...

16. Had a bunch of Monogram Salt Cars, a set of Revell Old Timers, a Hubley '53 Corvette, before I bought my First Real Model car.....an AMT 1959 Mercury Hardtop. I bought and built every 3 in 1 Kit I could get my hands on.....Those were the glory years! Centurion9

17. Deuces

Deuces

That's the same model as the BADMAN.. With different wheels and tires...
    The BADMAN kit is back on the shelves at your local hobby shop...

18. Mine was the AMT 1940 Willys Coupe/pickup in 74,built it as the pickup and still have it in mint condition. It lead me to my first Willys (39) the next year at 16. JW

19. The MPC Malco Gasser Mustang was the first kit I remember building with my dad. We painted it Testors candy red over a gold base. When we got done I remember just staring at it thinking how cool it must be to pilot this machine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Mullins

Mullins

I remember my favorite model. So I made my childhood dream come true.

Attached Files:

21. fearnoevo

fearnoevo
    from Iowa

My first models were promos. My grampa was friends with the local dealer and he'd have them there for me when we came to spend weekends with them. I still have a couple of them somewhere. 1969, 1970 or so?

Over my life, I suppose I've built close to a thousand, got maybe 5 or 6 still together, dozens of kits still in cases. Lost hundreds in the floods in 08

22. guy1unico

guy1unico

bought this vintage totally custom roadster off of ebay a few years back it was built in the 60's...channeled sectioned shag carpet moon spun caps in the weeds blown engine...hand painted...alot going on here. Took it to a model car contest and the builders could care a less...they thought it was a sloppily built model ...the idiots.

Attached Files:

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My first was in 1952. (Revell Highway Pioneers' '15 Center Door T sedan) I was 10.
    Then Revell came out with the 69-cent Hot Rod. ('32 Roadster, no fenders, flathead V8)

These were in 1/32 scale. I took a hot needle held with pliers, cut the T's hood off...tore the front and rear ends out, and hot-needled the roof posts. Chopped the top so it looked a little like the Art Chrisman '29 Tudor sedan in Hot Rod magazine. Used a fingernail file to round the corners of the top, then painted the body black...white cloth top...'32 Roadster front and rear ends, painted and detailed with Pactra 'Namel.

A short time later, they came out with the "big" 1/25 scale cars. I was truly in hot rod heaven! (at age 15...) I also had a full size '36 Three window and an 'A' roadster on '32 rails. I was lucky.

24. toddwith2ds

toddwith2ds
    from AZ

I had a 53 AD with the yellow grill and wheels.

25. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

37 chevy coupe
    I painted it candy green for a contest at the 711

26. arincee

arincee

My first was the Lil'Coffin around 1964. I still have it.

27. I remember saving up to buy the T bucket roadster model called the Black Widow. I grew up in the 50s and we were constantly reminded of possible nuclear war. So I remember saving up and hoping I could build this model before I had to go live in a fallout shelter or become charcoal. Awful way to raise kids, huh?

28. Cerberus

Cerberus

Yeah! The Red Baron. I think that model has something to do with my last build.
    Friends advised me not to go with my original plan to build a Red Baron II out of it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  29. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

The first one I built on my own was AMTs #34 3wd. Was a one time release and wasn't very accurate.

30. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

I think I was 6 when I built this. My mom had to put the decals on. I think I need to hunt one of these down.

[​IMG]