Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 chevy six popularity

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59buick, Aug 20, 2012.

1. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Define Hot Rodders. I had my fill of one in 54-65, my first car was a 54 Chevy

2. carlitos way

carlitos way
    BANNED

cool and getting hard to find.lots of guys that have a 53 chevy and older with the 216 put them in there rides

3. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

They are out there. I've got a dozen or more (39-62)that I've been picking up here and there. Great motors.

4. cederholm

cederholm

I'm a fan!
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1348924414.630954.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. loudandfast13

loudandfast13

I love the 235 in my Delray. Simple, reliable and gets the best gas mileage of any old car I've owned. An overdrive trans is a must with these motors in my opinion. Mine has a S10 5 speed. There are plenty of old and new performance parts out for them also. Very cool motors.

6. GREASER815

GREASER815

Running one in my 50, hooked to a modern trans and happy as can be. Plenty of power for a cruiser, unique sound, and affordable to drive and build.

7. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

It's an acquired taste. It's long, heavy and dependable. 2HP per inch is a pipe dream.....
    I don't recall anyone that street raced (for money) with one. They would have been low hanging fruit. g

8. belair

belair

I left the original one in my 55. Duals for now, a Thickstun intake this summer. Not all 55's came with a 327 and a 4-speed, you know. I wish someone had cut up the floor for a floor shifter over the years so I could run a 5- speed, but the car is just too solid for me to cut on at this point.

9. johnny two tone

johnny two tone
    from nj

love the sound of those 235 s built a 350 for my 51 chevy but decided to stay ol skool and use a 6

10. sasquatch12

sasquatch12

Love the old school inlines, separate the first three cylinders and the back three, and you have an unusual now old school sound.

11. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

I wouldn't say popular I'm running a 261 because everyone one and there brother runs a small block. (Which there's nothing wrong with that) I like to be different and it runs like a top! Won't trade it for anything it has plenty of power and I run down the expressway with ease!!!

12. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Running one in my '46 Chevy coupe with headers and salt flat disks. Looking to put top loader three speed tranny and dual carb intake. Just a low-buck driver.

13. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

One thing to consider. The 235 likes the gas, especially if they are not geared for running down the highway.

14. They weren't in the 50's and 60's where I came from(north central USA). I had a ton of friends and myself (all gearheads) and only one had a six in it and it was a "souped" GMC. flatties ruled and later GM ohv v/8s. It's much easier and cheaper to remove hubcaps, paint some primer or just leave it as is and maybe some lowering blocks in the rear and white walls and just cruise around, and it let's a lot more people get to enjoy car culture and that's fine with me.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  15. I always liked them in old Chevy trucks, especially if it had taller gears in them. They're a bit doggy with automatics if you like fast starts, but still a smooth reliable engine.

Bob

16. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

I forgot to say that I put 7k miles on my 261 this past summer and it never missed beat!!! Attracted a ton of people and made alot of noise!

17. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

My 216 drinks way more gas than a v8, but at least its slow too...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I had a 54 chevy in high school. The 235 is a turd. I had all the stuff to convert it to a 301 4 speed when I ran into the rear of a new Pontiac in 63 while watching a girl in a bikini on a bicycle ride by. End of story, end of 54 Chevy