Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you guys support your frames when spraying?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tlmartin84, Sep 28, 2012.

1. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Trying to figure out how to hang this thing so I can paint it without having to flip it....I have some over head things out of 2x4's I setup in the drive I can suspend them from but I'm still not certain if thats gonna work or how the best way to orient the frame is (on its side, flat, or what)

Just lookin for something besides having to flip it since i am by myself.

2. I built a stand that is adjustable that holds them through bolt holes with a bar through radius rod brackets, spring mounts, ect. Plus I put swivels on the base so I can spin the stand as needed for better lighting/whatnot.

3. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is how I have done all my frames. I use braided cable to hang from the beams. Do not use commonly available imitation "rock-climbing hooks". They cannot support the weight. I hang the cables from C-Clamps. Plenty of room for me and I'm 6'1" 250.

[​IMG]

4. i use a rotisserie to paint frames, but in the past i bolted extension handles on the end of the frame to rest it on saw horses and have a helper flip it to get the bottom. flipping it or turning it is the best way to assure you do not miss any spots.

5. Chris F100

Chris F100

Sorry I don't have a picture of this but I have driven 4 very long spikes (timber ties) through 2 pieces of 2X4 which are just shy of the frame width. They then are clamped on top of 2 tall saw horses - one at each end - with the points sticking up. The frame balances on the 4 points and provides enough room to get under and around all sides of the frame. When dry touch up the 4 tiny little "points." 6 frames painted in one half of a 2 car garage that way.

6. swissmike

swissmike

I used an engine stand to which I mounted a dummy front spreader bar with two u-bolts. I made another rear spreader bar with a short T extension in the middle with the extension pointing exactly at the mounting point of the front spreader bar. I rest the T extension on a saw horse until i get ready to turn the frame. In order to freely spin the frame, the extension on the rear spreader bar needs to be in line with the pivot axis of the engine stand. By taking the front casters of the stand I was able to get everything in line and could turn the frame easily with the rear supported on the saw horse. Hope this makes sense...

7. trbomax

trbomax

Ive always liked to hang them from an oh crane or beam setup. This is the first one I did in 1963 (my avitar car). Done probably 20 or 30 since then the same way.

Attached Files:

8. I have my kids hold it up and turn it over as I spray. It works, but they don't like it. They think that they should have a respirator on also. But I told them I am on a budget and can only afford one cause paint it so expensive.

9. This your kid?

Attached Files:

10. MP&C

MP&C

Home-made frame rotisserie

[​IMG]

11. 41 C28

41 C28

Hung mine

Attached Files:

12. mj40's

mj40's

Two HF engines stands. It was priceless throught the complete build.

[​IMG]

13. im tryin to figure that out myself. i plan on shooting the top side and when dry flip if over and do the bottom. im going to paint it body color with base/clear, so i can blend it in pretty nicely and any overspray/dry spots will be hidden. i cant think of any other way shy of a rotisery

14. i thought about doing that but i thought it would need support inbetween. did you have any issues?

15. Model T1

Model T1

The two engine stands seem like a compact cheap idea.

Or borrow that guy from Alabama's kids to hold the frame for you. Might wanna get a couple of those cheap paper masks at Wally World so he doesn't try to sue you later. Kids are still cheaper than Harbanger Frought engine stands. Almost everybody has a few laying around.

16. 1954 rocket 98

1954 rocket 98

i used the 2 engine stands too, worked fine but moving it is a little tough to do by yourself. works better with 2 people.

17. Model T1

Model T1

Couldn't be any harder to flip than #10 rotiserrie thing. It would take two to put together, two to move outside, and two to flip the frame. Most ways of handling a frame needs two people to do it easy. Except hanging it in a garage.

18. When I painted my 32 frame I hung it from the ceiling. Bicycle hooks screwed into the ceiling and suspended by mechanics wire. I ran the wire through bolt holes in the top of the frame and twisted it around a washer. Yea I had to paint the bottom on my back but it worked.

19. nali

nali

Thanks for the laugh. My youngest will be 5 YO in a few days and I could precisely visualize the situation :p

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Our redneck engineering. :D

Don

[​IMG]

21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

2 x engine stands for me. No need to run a bar between them as in an auto rotisseries, not enough weight.

22. I did some thing similar, engine crane one end with adaptor to fit inside beam where hook mounts that swivels and a single T shaped stand the other end also with a swivel. Took me about two hours to build and works like a charm. (Sorry no pics)

23. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i was super cheap last time i did this, i used two metal saw horses with a 2x6 flat on top wider than the frame.then i found four threaded holes on the top of the frame(or bottom) and screwed in four peices of all-thread about 12" long that made the frame float above the saw horses.the all-thread is just sitting on the 2x6's. spray the bottom first from the middle, then move to the outside while still spraying up, then stand up and hit everything else. i did'ent miss anywhere.

24. Don is that a jack hammer, pounded into the ground, holding the front up?