Register now to get rid of these ads!

had a large truck customize my 55 burb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redroaddog, Sep 28, 2012.

1. redroaddog

redroaddog

i drive a 55 suburban as a everyday driver was hit in2009 and then this today its way worse than the picture shows. i was sitting at a red lite on a main highway that comes into town looked up and saw him coming fast so i let the clutch out.....next i.am sitting on the curb waking up. got a ride in a "bus" don't remember much of that not broken bones but my neck and back are not good just so glad i wasn't in my forty:mad:

Attached Files:

2. Shagrat

Shagrat

Ouch! Those doors are probably scarce, too.... :(

3. redroaddog

redroaddog

yes they are. don't know if i'll fix it or not...

4. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Glad you are okay. Keep a watch on your neck. Whiplash can sneak up on you after the fact. Sorry about the burb.

5. redroaddog

redroaddog

ya the neck is pissed! loved that old truck but this is the second time i've been hit hard. good old steel!! save my ass twice

6. Glad you are okay

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sorry to hear this. Glad it wasn't worse. Go see a doctor and a lawyer. I'm not a lawyer fiend, but having one helped me.

8. flamed34

flamed34

Ouch.
    I live every day with neck and back pain from a crackhead hitting me at 70 mph while I was sitting in road construction. Take no chances, get good treatment, and as said above...probably get a good lawyer.

Good luck

9. upspirate

upspirate

Hope you aren't hurt bad....sorry to see this happen,but I drive 2200 miles per week for work, and see lots of bad and stupid stuff out there

10. servi53

servi53

if it's saved you twice now it's probably worth fixing again

11. Gator

Gator

Ooh that sucks a big one.

12. Getting a lawyer is a must and the fault is almost always 100% against the other driver in a rear end hit.

Good old steel is not always a good thing, since the truck is so solidly built, the impact force was transferred to you.

Hopefully you were hit by a truck that belongs to a business, they tend to carry higher liability policies. Get well soon and start scouting up parts!

Bob

13. Gigantor

Gigantor

I concur. While newer cars are designed with crumple zones, I've seen one too many wrecks where the back seat ends up in the front seat by being rear ended that hard by a big truck. If it did that much damage to your Burb, just imagine what it would have done to some new plastic POS.
    Glad you are okay, good luck finding parts!

14. Back in 1990, a drunk driver in a Hyundai Excel rear-ended my wife who was in an '85 Buick Century. He was running about 70, truck driver who saw it happen told the state trooper that the guy's brake lights never came on. Put the left rear wheel of that Buick Century under the front seat.

15. I have been rear ended twice.(No, not like that,I like women) And I can advise you to keep good records and copies of everything you do and who you see. You might need every detail for them to pay for your expenses and medical treatment. Like shivasdad said, whiplash can get worse later so be prepared.

16. squirrel

squirrel

that sucks! let me know if you need some doors. I told another guy about the ones I have, but he hasn't made an offer on them yet

17. redroaddog

redroaddog

thanks guys. servi53 u might be right going to look at it this morning.

18. Weasel

Weasel

Sorry to see that. I got rear ended in my '58 Chrysler when I was sat at a stoplight by some kids in a '68 Dodge van traveling 50 mph. I saw it was going to happen and braced myself against the steering wheel. The steel core of the wheel bent three inches from the force of the impact and took my left shoulder and back out. I suffer everyday still 17 years later. Got me a lawyer and was able to buy my dream car with the settlement. The pain sucks but I love the car I got. Moral of the tale - go get a good lawyer....

19. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Not to get off on an OT Rant, but crumple zones destroy that plastic POS and not your limbs. Not everything new is bad.

20. I got creamed last year in my OT car, $5000 to fix it and they're still fixing me. I was hit by 2 cars essentially in a chain-reaction crash.

Lawyers get serious wood when they hear "rear end collision". Go with the biggest local firm, you lay out nothing and they get paid out of the settlement.

Do keep track of everyone you talk to in a notebook, don't throw out anything you get in the mail. I keep track of everything on an Excel spreadsheet and submit all my visits to doctors to my lawyer monthly.

So far I have had 170 medical treatments, 4 surgeries (spinal injections count as surgery in the car accident world), travelled over 1800 miles and shelled out around $2000 of my own $$. NY no-fault tries their best to cut you off anything if they can.

Bob

21. Absolutely right! All that plastic shit that breaks off takes the impact-energy with it. In my recent accident (2012 Malibu) I was hit up high from the rear by an SUV and the energy had no place to go.

Bob

22. save that old burb! your a body guy so work your metal magic and let us all follow you to victory cheering you on!

23. Model T1

Model T1

Sorry----And good luck. Keep the Suburban and when you are better make it better than before.

24. redroaddog

redroaddog

the plan was to do the burb this winter . going to look it over today see how bad the frame got it i'am sure its nothing i can't fix just can't beleave it! they are checking cel phone records witness said he never touched his brakes. glad i wasn't on my shovelhead........:eek:

25. truck and burb frames interchange as the difference is the extention brackets coming of rear frame rails. looks like it was hit high so might be fine. one nice thing about the panels and burbs is they used 2 front bumpers so you dont have to fine a special one for rear when it's been changed or removed.