Register now to get rid of these ads!

RIP Chris Economaki

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fuel pump, Sep 28, 2012.

1. rooman

rooman

I had been writing for a couple of Aussie publications from here in the US but it was always a battle to get a credential for the NHRA national events. Then I started doing the drag racing notes for NSSN and bingo, instant credentials any time that I needed them. I am proud that I got to write for Chris and even had lunch with him when he was here in Indy for a race. I was a bit further along with my journalistic career than indybigjohn when I started writing for NSSN and Chris ran everything just as I wrote it.
    Incidently, Ralph Sheheen (of ESPN reporting fame) has revived the print edition of NSSN and is keeping it as true to its traditions as possible in this day and age.
    http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.com/about/mission-statement/

RIP Chris.

Roo

2. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Yes he did. Rest in Peace Chris Economaki.

3. MRTS33

MRTS33

Chris was the man on Wide World of Sports covering all sorts or racinig. If you wern't watching TV and heard his voice come on you knew there was racing on. He had that kind of influence. RIP Chris!!!!

4. robertsregal

robertsregal

R.I.P. Chris was a Great sportscaster and I remember watching him in my youth!

5. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

IndyJohn thats a great story Thanks for sharing, It made My day.....JOHN

6. slowmotion

slowmotion

R I P Chris. Can still hear that unmistakable voice anytime motorsports were featured on the Wide World of Sports. Met him breifly at Mid-Ohio in the 80's. I had a Malcuit t-shirt on, he said "Short tracker, huh?". I got a kick out ot that. Helluva nice guy, and I got the vibe that he really did, truly, love all forms of motorsports.

7. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

If you guys are into racing you have to read his book "Let 'Em All Go",It's fascinating everything Chris has seen and done in motorsports. RIP Chris.

8. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Sad to hear about his passing, but glad to see that it is a headline story on MSN today. I agree with several of the posters, that I always knew there was something to do with racing on when I was a kid and heard his voice. I'll miss that.

9. My memories of Chris Economaki are from when I was a kid. Sunday afternoons eating dinner on TV stands with my Dad watching Wild World of Sports. He had the voice ,the personality and the knowledge that the sports casters are lacking today
    God Speed be with you Chris :)

10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

A true pioneer and a legend,they don't make them like that anymore! R.I.P. Chris!

11. One of racing's true legends for sure. Probably up There right now, interviewing Big Bill, Smokey and ol' Ironhead #3. . .RIP

12. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I enjoyed listening to him......rip

13. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

He made a 12 yr. old boy understand auto racing.

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Years ago I watched an interview with Chris on the "Speed Channel", host Dave Despain and Chris were at a boarded up old dirt track in the mid-west, it was about the best hour of TV I have ever seen. It looks like they will re-broadcast it at 11pm eastern time tonight. You might want to give it a look. RIP Chris.

15. He kickstarted my interest in NASCAR, Rest In Peace Mr. Economaki, you were a great reporter and broadcaster.

16. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

God Speed Mr. Economaki. Prayers for family and friends.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. 296ardun

296ardun

He simply defined motor sports journalism, took the time to learn and had the skills to communicate...to me, none others like him.

18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story John. I just remember him as the one constant motor sports TV guy during the '60s, '70s and '80s. RIP

19. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

sad news for sure,
    he had a voice and the enthusiasm you can never forget, yea i remember hearing his voice and running to the tv, knowing motor sports where coming on.
    rip mr economaki

20. ScottV

ScottV

There is nothing I can say that will add to what has already been said ...

21. Davyj

Davyj

RIP, a legacy that few can match, God speed.................

22. tractorguy

tractorguy

I have been very blessed to be around Chris and Brock Yates in the pits at the Knoxville Nationals sprint car races in the 70's and 80's......trying to interview guys who had just won....lost.....crashed and trying to make the consi. Truly up close and personal. And nobody.....nobody could do race (not "entertainment") commentary any better. And to add icing to the cake.....as a long time reader of NSSN.....it was nice to hear Chris talk occasionaly about his time living in my good ole former stomping grounds of Des Moines Iowa. RIP

23. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

R.I.P. Mr Economaki.

24. Roadagent2

Roadagent2

A voice we will never forget...the voice of racing...rest in peace Mr. E...:cool:

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

26. frank spittle

frank spittle

There have been many great announcers in motorsports whose voices we instantly recognized. For me, the greatest of them all just passed. I had the pleasure of meeting him when he was honored at the '95 Super Stock Reunion.

27. 2002p51

2002p51

Some time during the '90's when I was covering the West Coast NASCAR races for Stock Car Racing magazine, a bunch of us photographers were taking a break just outside the media center at Phoenix. 6 or 8 of us sitting around a table BS'ing.

Chris Economaki comes out of the media center and sees us all sitting there. He comes over to the table and goes around one by one and asks us our name, who we're shooting for, and shakes each hand. He wishes us all safe shooting and goes out the gate and back to work.

I'll never forget that.

28. Tequila Bob

Tequila Bob
    from Michigan

I learned to appreciate the Indy 500 from "the Voice of the Indianapols 500," Chris Economaki. He was the voice who told us lap by lap. crash by crash, pole to checkered flag what was going on. I remember the emotion shown by Chris on the first race that was televised and there was a huge fatal crash.

Then in 1982 the Detroit Grand Prix brought Chris to Detroit. We had a party at our house and Chris was there. We talked the past, the present, and the future of auto racing. The next morning he was doing team interviews and he took our house guest guest, Howard, with him. This was classic Chris. I talked to him on numerous occasions, but didn't see him again.

Chris we will all miss you so very much. So very much.

RIP and God speed.

RIP

29. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Economaki started out sneaking under the fence at the old Hinchliffe Stadium here in Paterson, NJ as a young boy eager to watch the races...later he started selling his paper there for a nickle or dime. He always had a soft spot for that place and was even involved with some of the efforts to resurrect the crumbling, graffiti covered remains.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some years ago I found an old program from Hinchliffe and sent it along to him...he said he would donate it to the museum where it could be better appreciated...

RIP Chris, thanks for the memories.....