Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lincoln Flatheads.... Your thoughts......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sixcarb, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

I have never driven anything with a Linclon flathead in it and was wondering how these motors run, this particular motor has edmund heads and intake and use's the 2 Lincoln carbs, 337 cubes. It's also a solid lifter motor, any insite would be appreciated.

2. aedan

aedan
    from ###

a guy down here built a model a with a lincoln v-12 in it, its pretty cool

Attached Files:

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

They're bigger & heavier than your standard flathead, of course. Speed equipment is hard to find & pricey, so if it comes with heads & intake, it could be a good deal (if they're in good shape). These were used in the Lincolns, but also in the big trucks (F6 & up??) of the same era. Plenty of torque.

What are you wanting to do with it?

4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Got a friend with a V12 in a bucket. It has a homemade 5 carb intake (actually runs on 2), homemade bucket style headers, and other than that, a stock rebuild. At idle, you can hardly hear it run. Smooth as can be. On accelleration, it makes some noise unlike any other. Cool motors.

5. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

What are you wanting to do with it?[/QUOTE]

Just throwing around the idea of running it, have had it for quite a few years now but never did anything with it. It would go in a Deuce Tudor

6. Only thing I know is that they are heavy SOBs, but it would be too cool. Other than that, I know how hard it is to find emergency flattie parts when you are on the road. I can't imagine the look on the face of the 12yr old counter guy at your local auto parts chain when you say flathead Lincoln.

That alone would be worth the price of admission. Hmmmm.....think I'll ask next time I'm there.........I'm getting them used to the mention of flathead Ford parts.

7. kustomkoupe

kustomkoupe

send a PM to AceBrown he has one he runs on the street in a lincoln...just stock i assume but he might have some insight

it would be cooler then a hemi

zach

8. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Isn't the 337 c.i. - also known as the "E" series - a V8 ?

9. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

It is a V-8 not sure about the "E" series though

10. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

Boat Anchor

11. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Just let me use your chevy as a starter motor.

12. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

I dont know if it'll turn that sucker over.

13. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

The 337 is also called the EQ series in Ford manuals. They are around 900# of boatanchor so you have to give serious thoughts to the front end of any vehicle.

Almost nothing from a Ford flathead swaps and rebuild parts are about as steep as obsolete OHV V8's. They make a ton of low end torque and were the factory engine in the largest Ford truck series from 49-51. They share the same stick bellhousing as truck flathead Fords. Im not positive but I believe the cars with GM Hydramatics did not have the cranks drilled for a stick pilot bushing.

The trucks and early 49 cars had solid lifters and compatible cam. All the later cars were hydraulic with their own cam. As mentioned some speed stuff is available but pricey; the most common being Edmunds heads and 2 carb intake.

14. superchargednailhead

superchargednailhead

Make up your mind. Olds Chevy Hemi now Lincoln at this rate your never gonna get that heep done. Listen to Louie, BOAT ANCHOR

15. LIMEY

LIMEY

A mate has just finished this A .........& the little fucker has tons of grunt!

[​IMG]

Kev.

16. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

That has to be the coolest frick'in A I've seen in a long long time!!!

Alright down to business.... now the 337 Lincoln is a boat anchor? I thought this forum was for the benefit of people who are partaking in individual automotive expression. C'mon guys if I have to bear looking at a sea of sbc powered rods I think the brave few who vear off the beaten path, ought not to have to hear the classic "boat anchor" comments. I just spent the last week cleaning out and moving an auto shop in which there were V8's of all kinds. I can assure you that they ALL feel like ships anchors by the end of the week! Don't tell anyone I said this but the 371 Olds with the integeral bellhousing seemed to be the heaviest anchor of all.

17. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

P.S. You Limeys rock!

18. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

sounds good to me, now I know I'll be able to blow your doors off

19. superchargednailhead

superchargednailhead

Bottom line is it makes no diffrence what he puts for a motor your still gonna blow his doors off.

20. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

They are neat motors...I could have bought a completely rebuilt one at an auction a year ago for less than $100...but I had no use for it. I did get a complete block minus the crank in a flathead parts lot at the same sale. Had to get a tractor with an endloader to pick it up and put on the trailer:p I might make it a piece of yard art someday...

21. jdubbya

jdubbya

Here is the car that flatheadpete was speaking of.

Attached Files:

22. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

23. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

My Dad has been collecting the v-12 lincolns for a while. He's putting together a '31 coupe on '32 rails and has plans to use one of them for it. I think it's way cool. I'll let you guys know how it runs and goes together. I may do a post on the build up.. if he lets me.

LP

24. Alfster

Alfster

That thing is just flat out cool!!

Got any more pics.

25. Ive got 5 grand in parts for my 8CMs, Id hate to see the parts bill for a V-12!

26. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

And probably a turn radius that makes you grunt!:D

I didn't get a chance to look at it at the hayride...will have to examine a bit closer next time I see it.

27. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Saw a Lincoln Flattie powered hot rod truck in the newest Street Rodder and got curious. Pretty cool info. Pretty heavy, too. Prolly not worth the trouble.

28. wannabewannabe

wannabewannabe

None of we're doing is really worth the trouble if you want to go fast. Christ, stock modern minivans could blow most of our doors off.

It's about the cool.

And a Lincoln flattie is cool. Do it, and tell people to fuck off if they don't like it.

29. Look in the newest 'Street Rodder' for an article on a car with a Lincoln 337. This guy makes his own 3x2 intakes!