Register now to get rid of these ads!

[VALUE?] 1947 Plymouth Coupe - Worth Buying?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by x1k, Sep 28, 2012.

1. x1k

x1k

I am brand spanking new to the HAMB, but I've been a lurker for a little while. I am selling my Harley to buy a cool old car, and this is a huge wealth of resources.

So, I stumbled upon a 1947 Plymouth 2 door that is primed, interior completed, and it runs and drives. He is asking $4500 which sounds cool, but it's not original *at all*, so I'm trying to find out what it is truly worth.

It has a Chevy 305 and Chevy automatic tranny, and a 2005 Dodge frame. The original radio is gone. The original seats are gone. It is a frankenstein. However, it looks like a pretty gnarly car to ride around in. The "only things it needs" are, 1) fresh paint, and 2) glass for the door windows on both sides. The front, rear, and quarter panel glass are good though.

Every valuation guide puts it around $4000-4500 max if it were all original. But, what is it actually worth having very few original parts? What would *you* pay for this? I obviously know I'm not getting into a show car, but it would definitely be fun to roll around in and finish up. Below is the link on CL. No pictures of the interior, but it looks clean and put back together nicely.

http://williamsport.craigslist.org/cto/3293151714.html

Thanks!

2. Harms Way

Harms Way

Only if a 1947 Plymouth coupe is what you really want,...... sounds like a lot of "Hack-e-do" work on it...... But that's just my opinion.

(and before you get a big Poo-Storm going,.... better go back to the rules and do a intro... A little friendly advice there.)

3. carmuts

carmuts

No jokes aside, I would not pay over $2500. Then sell the wheels and look for some that looked better on that car. Rod

4. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

if it's worth it to you.....

I am a brand loyal kind of guy, I don't understand why someone would use a dakota frame and then stick a chevy motor in it...the wheels suck and the dakota should be six lug ...six lug wheels, try finding those.

never trust a car in primer....

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

And that bumper? and the parklamps? and the NO-rim headlamps? and the taillamps? and the grille? and the what is it side and fender trim?
    Put the El Paso on that car and find a complete correct car that is worth your hard-earned cash. 46-48 Plymouths are NOT rare cars. There is a nice one out there for you, find it!

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

IMO that is way overpriced. The tread is too wide for one thing, the tires are right at the edge of the body, and the fact it is even installed on a Dakota frame would concern me.

I see maybe $2000 to $2500 tops, and only if you really want that make and model.

Don

7. x1k

x1k

Thanks everyone! I really needed some second opinions from people actually in this scene. I found this car waiting for someone to respond to my lowball offer on a 59 Fairlane. I know very little about older cars, so I wouldn't be a huge fan of paying a pretty penny for a primered turd due to my own ignorance!

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

9. George

George

Frankenstien? sounds like a typical hot rod project, "stick a SBC in everything" type, @ least it doesn't have an S 10 frame. Not sure what they were thinking on that "bumper", wheels need to go. Ditching trim is typical.

10. RodStRace

RodStRace

That plymouth is the product of an FNG who has this old car, a cheap engine/trans and wanted to do a frame swap because it was 'easier'.
    IF the frame swap was done well and the extra trim parts are included, I'd go as high as 2K.
    If the frame swap is a hack job (80% chance), I wouldn't pay 50 bucks over scrap price.
    Seems there is a guy with this mind-set coming on here every 6-8 months, so there have got to be a lot of these Frankenstein cars out there.
    Funny thing is, they all start out arguing that these are the parts they have, they have more time than money so they don't listen to advise, and most end up not finished.

11. x1k

x1k

thanks! this was what i was looking for.. i used "frankenstein" instead of "hot/rat rod" for that reason. if it was all original, or even just the original frame, i probably wouldn't have started this thread.. it's the frame/suspension swap that got me concerned.

thanks everyone!