Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saving a Rat Rod or, How to polish a Turd

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rich Wright, Sep 25, 2012.

1. That was a Hello Kitty back brace, thank you very much Toby! You should know that. After all, that fucker was your creation.

And when Rich says he "draws", he's being very modest. I have a drawing of a '29 RPU Rich did that is exquisite. The man is more than just an artist in metal.

And fuck you very much Finch!!

2. Beautiful, Rich... man.

Not as good as your wife's spaghetti... but beautiful.

:D

Sam

3. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

As you can see Rich, from all the accolades, you're not going to be let go from our
    Hot Rod community.
    Please continue sharing your incredible knowledge, even though you are no longer
    able to do the actual work/labor.

4. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Top notch!!! & thanks for taking us along in the picture trail.......If you don't mind me asking......Who's "wood" roof kit did you use? It looks like it fit like a glove. Also, great color combo.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

5. lukey

lukey

That's awesome! This thread just remotivated me to get goin on my junk!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. ChefMike

ChefMike

thanks for sharing great work !!!

7. dad-bud

dad-bud

Rich, that is brilliant work and so good of you to show us in such great detail.
    It is really sad that your health has suffered from your long involvement in the trade. I hope for your sake that you are able to keep doing some minor stuff - even if it's just to teach others some of your awesome skill.
    Thanks again for sharing.
    Oh, and that is some kind of a shiny pile of shit!!!

8. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

Too bad I'm so far away, I'd do the hard work as an apprentice just to become half as good as you.
    Take care and enjoy your cars.

9. Wow nice save! Glad you were able to pass some knowledge to the owner. I'm on my last customer car right now. Rough one too! Sometimes I think they find us. This one sure found the right guy.

10. Special Ed

Special Ed

After peeking at some of the stuff in your garage, nothing you did on this car surprises me. You are truly an amazing craftsman, Rich. Simply spectacular...

11. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Man I love that car brings back memories of sore hands and metal dust!

12. rdemilt

rdemilt
    from so florida

Hey Rich, Just wanted to tell you you did a fantastic job on that car. I did not realize it was being done for someone besides yourself until i got further into your build process, So more accolades to you for doing that. I am a self taught DIY painter mostly doing my own stuff along the way and I liked to use 2k Nason also, The guy that turned me on to it years ago called it poor mans Imron :). I liked it at that time because of the cost.

I saved your post on color sanding and I intend to try your technique of going over it twice next time.

I sometimes worry about the effects paint and body work may cause me when I get a little older but I really enjoy doing it. I wish I had someone like yourself as a neighbor just to enjoy a good story and a cold drink, People around here think im just some crazy guy that drives old cars. Stay healthy my friend and thanks again for posting a good read.

13. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Awesome build! Amazing job bringing that car back and making it so cool.

14. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Now, THAT'S how you polish a turd. Great Job, man.

15. I realize the crux of this thread that the O.P. is doing a marvelous job of.

But I think the vBulletin program for the H.A.M.B. should be modified that everytime someone types in the word(s) Rat Rod it comes up *** ***

What do you guys think?

16. Amazing work done right there. Great job.

17. Panel Pete

Panel Pete

Wow, just wow! What a fantastic save of a ratty pile of crap. The finished roller looks awesome!

18. What a nice surprise to get the April 2013 Rod & Custom in the mail yesterday and see the man hisself- Rich Wright- flogging away on this very build on page 24. The article is "Peak o' Perfection: Peaking a Vintique Hot Rod-Style Deuce Grille Shell."

Good to see you in print, Rich. Well deserved.

19. flatout65

flatout65
    from mid tenn

just saw that last nighT, congrats and awesome build!

20. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A priviledge to see that come together. The result is certainly a fitting tribute to your career. Hope the owner does the right thing and get her done and out on the street.

21. the duke

the duke

killer work and great documentation, thanks

22. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Incredible work. Love it and thanks for sharing

23. 54rat210

54rat210

Turd officially polished :D

24. TurboX2

TurboX2

The detailed pictures will help me with my project and I am sure it will help others. Great save of a POS to a nice rod!

25. “Just one word "Excellent"”

26. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

27. Really nice save! Must say i am jealous of your skill. The flip down fuse deal... ive never seen that before and it looks like it would save a sore neck and shoulders. Is that something you came up with or...?

28. 41 C28

41 C28

I like your swing down fuse panel holder. I though about install one of those small batterys under the cowl on my A coupe on a pivot mount.

29. Beautiful work,,HRP

proof positive that you can polish a turd! HRP

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yiJ9fy1qSFI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

30. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Rich Wright for President!