Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine oil preferance ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frenchy Dehoux, Sep 27, 2012.

1. I am using Castrol 20/50 in my engines as well as Kendall I would like to hear from you which oil do you think is best to use and especially living here in Phoenix AZ with the heat in the summer. I have used Valvoline in the past and no problem with it. Lets here everyone choice of oil you are using and why do you think your choice of oil is better.

Thanks
    Frenchy

2. Did you try a search?

I believe this has been brought up before.

3. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Talking oil to a Hot Rodder is like talking politics, usually ends up an argument.

4. There are three things in life you should never talk to strangers about - Politics, Religion , and Oil

5. Shell Rotella 15w40 or 20w50. contains enough zinc to protect those old flat tappets and it is cost effective

6. birdman42

birdman42

I agree with Unclee.I had a boss that always said to use any oil companies premium brand.Now thanks to to the epa we have to get zink additive to go with it.

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

Caution on the Rotella as not all of it contains a high level of zinc and phosphorous. New diesels have catalytic converters therefore the low zinc.
    I use Valvoline VR-1 Racing Oil. it contains 1400 PPM of zinc and 1300 PPm of phosphorous.

8. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Bingo !!! ya beat me to it.....

9. Hey has anyone heard about problems with a lack of ZDDP in oils or something?

:::: runs out of the room::::

10. George

George

If it's SM or SN use additive!

11. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

Valvoline 30W Racing Formula. I have to order it from my NAPA store -- they don't stock it -- and a case is a little bit pricey. But it's got the zinc and phosporus older engines need without the need for additives. It's also available in multi-viscosity formulations as well.

12. Hotrodhog

Hotrodhog

High Zinc Amsoil.....

13. slowmotion

slowmotion

Castrol in the daily's, Amsoil in the two wheeler, Val racing in the others.

14. AG F/C

AG F/C

WITHOUT HESITATION, Valvoline VR1, pick your grade. I use 20-50 due to hot days in SoCal. But you can buy 10-30 if you are in a cold climate.

As stated already the Diesel oils no longer have the right amount of Zinc Phos Extreme Pressure additives they used to due to EPA regulations and so the DPF technologies are kept clean and effective.

15. bowtiemyk

bowtiemyk

Valvoline VR-1 40wt

16. What CurbFeeler said!!!

17. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

Dollar General has some cheap 10w30 with an SJ rating. Wonder how much zinc it's got? My best running rig was bought new by a guy who owned a trucking company. Ran Delvac 15w40 its whole life so I'm doing the same. Looks clean under that valve cover.

18. Mike

Mike

I use Valvoline Racing 50wt or 60wt (whichever I can find) in all of my machines. I get better oil pressure using this stuff and there really isn't much need for a multi-weight oil here in Phoenix.

19. SlamIam

SlamIam

I also use Valvoline VR1 in my flat tappet engines. I buy it by the case when its on sale.

20. Gman0046

Gman0046

Aside from Valvoline having high levels of zinc and phosphorous they often have great discount coupons on their web site. Last year you could get a $50 rebate on a case of VR1. That was almost free.

21. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I'm into synthetics,....Along with a zinc additive.

4TTRUK

22. waterhorse

waterhorse

Valvoline Racing 40W in everything with flat tappets. For the ZDDP addatives being included.

23. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Here are my thoughts on oil:

Now, i'm still in the stone age and run flat lifters on all my cars and probably will for the next forseeable future because i'm cheap.

Now, do you really need a ZDDP sufficient specific oil for flat lifters---especially at stock valve spring pressures? I have no idea.

However, my philosophy is that since oils that have a sufficient amount of ZDDP---enough for flat lifters (like 1200-1400 parts per million or something like that) only cost a little more than "any old oil" that you can find at the autoparts store, then it is cheap insurance to be safe and use the ZDDP specific oil.

We are only talking a few dollars difference here even if you change every 3000 miles and i'm not even sure that is nessesary anymore.

i use Redline synthetic 10W-30 for a small block chevy and 4 cyl.

i am looking at Royal purple xpr in 5W-30 and 10W-30 weights because you can find it at some stores---i.e., pepboys.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  24. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

25. no55mad

no55mad

Read this www.ZDDPlus.com They are an Alliance Vendor here too. Support the HAMB!