Register now to get rid of these ads!

Couple Air Ride ?'s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Yanksta, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Yanksta

Yanksta

I know this is probably not hamb friendly but I have a few ?'s on air ride. I have a 52 chevy that I will be installing a kit on. I was told 1/4 lines and just one 480c compressor will be fine for what i want to do. So my questions is this fine and what solenoids to I use, what brand, how big of tank.....I see alot of cheap kits on the net and it seems if i go straight to the manufacturers it is HIGH....Thanks for the help!!!

2. ryno

ryno

Alot Of deciding factors
    But yes 1/4 will work. Most systems nowadays run 3/8" lines and valves. 5 gallon tank with your 480 will be fine for basic up and down

3. Yanksta

Yanksta

is there one valve that is better then the other....i see a bunch of kits online that have valves, tank, and compressor but the price seems like the valves would be super cheap.....

4. slammedfifties

slammedfifties

ridetech is the only system i go to go with...have done 5 of them and no issues

5. ryno

ryno

Used them all
    I like the smc and airlift ones
    You'll Need 8 of them

6. soccorjimmy

soccorjimmy
    from Aurora, IL

SMC are good also GC Extremes i have ran on my trucks. I also was the oddball and used hyraulic line with push on barbed fittings, never had any leaks like the push to connect fittings. I like Slam bags. Also get the 3/8lines, you can easily slow down the dumps later if you want. JIMMY

7. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

5 gallon tank with a single compressor will be fine, just don't expect to do a lot of playing around with it. Like Ryno said, that will get you your basic up and down.

1/4 line will work, but I would use 3/8 line with 3/8 valves and you can slow down the dump side to fine tune the speed. Can even put a ball valve on the fill side to fine tune the speed as well.

As for what brand of valves, I am a fan of the SMC valves. Had them on 2 rides now and haven't had any problems.

8. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

I had good luck with Slam Bags, SMC valves, Viair compressors and Dixon fittings. A single 480 compressor and 5 gallon tank, as recommended already, will be adequate.

9. Blake84

Blake84

ill just put in my experience......i would do 2 compressors and 2 of the 5 gallon tanks personally. I think you will get annoyed waiting for the compressed air to build back up. its pretty cheap to ad an additional viar compressor and 5 gallon tank. yes do 1/4 inch lines I changed mine from 1/2 inch because it dropped way tooooooo fast

i play around with ride height alot and use the baggs often so 2 tanks is good for my set up

if you just want to raise it up leave it at ride height and then lower it when you get somewhere then you only need 1 compressor and 1 tank

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  10. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

I also use adjustable "fill" valves and "dump" regulators for a nice slow rise and drop.

Attached Files:

11. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Just to throw a wrench in the whole thing. I met a guy today that said he only uses mechanical air suspensions. He said they're more reliable. We didn't talk too long, I was working. He said he ran those in a '49 Chevy hardtop, '54 Lincoln, and 60's Catalina. I'm on the same boat with Yanksta, I'm getting ready to put my system in. Just a couple things, a little advice, and some time is all I need. But now this guy has me doubting what I had planned.

12. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

For mechanical you mean rocker switches right? The koolest of them are the MIC valves/switches, they basically look like regular electric ones but they hook up direct to the airline.
    And actually, these are better even, same design as MIC http://littllarrys.com/
    Theyre expensive, but for lay and play air ride cant be beaten lookwise.

As for electric valves i'd go SMC too for single valves, althou i had some pretty cool manifolds from Airlift that looked to be pretty much bullet proof and totally serviceable and rebuildable.
    Then if you wanna take it a notch up check out Empire Customs, they sell aircraft derived air valves. They look THE best, and it seems they truly are bulletproof.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  13. RatPin

RatPin

I'm running dual 380c Viair and 3/8" smc with ball valves on the fill side to keep it from hopping. I think my tank is 8 gal or so and it takes over 10 minutes to get to 200lbs with both comps and they get pretty hot.

If you go with manual rockers just remember you will be airing out into the cab of your vehicle if dash mounted or if you wanted to route the dumps out, it's just extra plumbing to do.

14. merking56

merking56
    from NJ

You can use pneumatic switches found on mcmastercarr.com for a manual setup, nice thing about switches is you don't need solenoids