Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods It's mine now... 1946 Ford Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GARY?, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Good looking car,reminds me a lot of Jeff's (Tudor) car,,congratulations. HRP

2. Was nice to see you and your lady at B'ville. Looked like you were having a lotta fun.

3. GARY?

GARY?

yeah Rocky, getting to finally meet you and Poverty Flats were highlights of the trip for sure.
    By the way, 200 mph in a street 'vette! You are nuckin' futs !.

4. Ugly damn cars... What kind of nincompoop would own one?

Attached Files:

5. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

6. Nah..only 180.3mph

7. draider

draider
    from Texas

Cool car and cool trip! Thanks for sharing.

8. "Swap you radiators? mine set up for the sbc already."

No way! The little flattie runs like a sewing machine! I'm hoping it's got lots of miles left in it. Only change I'm making is to 12Vneg. to finish up what the P/O started.
    But since the 350 sets in a cradle in the garage, it's going to get a cosmetic redo to be more 60's style. I need a decent used set of tall finned valve covers to cover my roller rockers. (Shhh...don't tell the trad police!......)

9. skoh73

skoh73

There was just a great '46 Tudor for sale locally for a decent price. If I had the money I would have pounced on it. Gorgeous ride, thanks for all of the pics.

10. GARY?

GARY?

WELL SHIT, IT WAS WORTH A SHOT. :)

When the 265 comes out, my plan is to redo it, and stuff it back in some day.:rolleyes:

Rocky, I didn't know you were so darn modest. :)

11. Never hurts to ask. I'll keep a look out for a decent stock rad, but Texas is really hard on radiators.

12. This one belongs to Tudor, these smokey ol' Fords can be kinda cool... :D

[​IMG]

13. GARY?

GARY?

Here's the scoop from Titus. And some pics from when he had it. How awesome is that?! :)

Gary,

I bought the car from my buddy, he bought the car of of ebay, i think he said they guy he got it from on ebay had it stored since the late 60s or early 70s, the car came out of MN as far as i know so i dont know where the S Dakota thing came from but hard to say.
    It had the SBC 265? in it, and was basically barn fresh, my buddy rewired it, put new brakes in it, and got it running, i think he put glass in it too but i can remember. He also put new posies springs in it, and tuned up the motor.
    He had my wife redo the cheap plaid set cover for the front seat and install it. I had my wife do the rear seat and i had planeed the do the interior in al black vinyl as the car had blackwall tires at the time too.
    He never really drove the car. I traded a f1 project and some cash for it, and i drove it about 150 miles the day i got it. It ran and drove great, too bad to hear about the condition of the trans cause when i had it it shifted awsome, smooth as can be. I'm sure it tooks it share of abuse thru the next few owners.
    Basically the whole car worked flawlessly, had some gauge clitches as it still sounds like some of them are there.
    I then sold it to Johnnycola in WI, he did nothing to it other than burn out the generator. He sold or traded it to Bobbleed. I dunno if Bob really did anything too it. It was traded

Thru out i havent really seen that much changed on the car. I know the wheels and tires got changed.

It was a very fun car to drive. I didnt do too much work on it cause it just worked so well when i got it. Think I had to put a new starter button on it and I took a couple leaved out of the front to get it lower. Would have really loved to stick a dropped axle in it before. I sold it but didnt own it long enought, another car came up and down the road she went!

Titus

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  14. GARY?

GARY?

Here's what it looks like today.

Attached Files:

• 461 .jpg
      461 .jpg
      File size:
      58.6 KB
      Views:
    • 462.jpg
      462.jpg
      File size:
      48.9 KB
      Views:
    • 463.jpg
      463.jpg
      File size:
      63.6 KB
      Views:
    • 464.jpg
      464.jpg
      File size:
      61.3 KB
      Views:
    • 46n.jpg
      46n.jpg
      File size:
      57.2 KB
      Views:
  15. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

As much as i love Flatheads .... i would leave the 265ci in there...

Less torque but more rpms than a Flathead, so good for the drivetrain...

And SBCs are ok up to `57.....

16. GARY?

GARY?

I hear you Micky, it is a really cool motor. It could use a 3x2 setup in my opinion. I had GMC Bubba go through an old Mallory with the 2 piece cap for it to ditch the HEI. We'll see how the fixin' up shit goes in the next few weeks.

17. GARY?

GARY?

Well findin' a 3x2 intake was easy enough. One day with a want ad, Thanks HAMB. Looks like the 265 is staying in it. :)
    The intake is drilled for 3 bolt carbs so I'll be able to use the 97s I already have.

For daily driving with a flathead I think I'd want to bump up the rear gearing to 3.54s to drop the RPMs a bit, then first starts getting a little tall, at least around here.

Came close to a T-5 in it but I'd really like to keep the car close to the way it's been. Plus it looks like kind of a p.i.a. in a full bodied car that's all together.

Also found a passenger side exhaust manifold to replace the one thats busted.

Kind if nice when the hard part (motor swap) has already been done for you.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  18. I'm jealous. Part of me wants to put in the sbc, the other part of me is keeping the flathead until it just completely gives up.
    I am going to start collecting mounts and adapters. Got to study to learn part numbers.

19. 48Tom

48Tom

sbc in a ford is sacrilege! :mad:

I'm sticking with the flattie in mine

20. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I see a pattern in your taste in cars - it's pretty much lockstep with mine. I love the Ford fastback sedans from '38 to '48. Cool score.

21. Missing Link

Missing Link

Nice purchase Gary. From one 46 owner to another. Gotta love the Tudors.

22. "sbc in a ford is sacrilege!"
    Must be a whole lot of heretics out there........

23. GARY?

GARY?

:D, Nothin' wrong with that. If I had got mine with a flathead in it, it would stay too.

One thing I really like about this car is that from what I can tell, from the info I have got from some of the previous owners, is that the 1955 265 Chevy small block (first year mind you) was put in it a long time ago, 50s perhaps, 60s at the latest. By some body who hadn't read lick about cars on the computers. Probably picked up the latest copy of Popular Mechanic, Hop Up, or the like.

They simply wanted to go faster.

Putting a sbc in a car back then was "state of the art".

P.S. I've learned much of my old car stuff on the computer and I absolutely love flatheads!!!

24. GARY?

GARY?

Forgot to say "thanks" Big A for the sweet smokey burnout pic. Thanks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bigcheese327
    "I see a pattern in your taste in cars - it's pretty much lockstep with mine. I love the Ford fastback sedans from '38 to '48. Cool score."

Rad. I'll take that as a really nice compliment.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  25. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

26. 48Tom

48Tom

well a sbc in a ford is sacrilege IMHO, but it's your car, don't listen to me and do whatever it is you want to do with it :D

27. fatkoop

fatkoop

Great car! I had one a long. long time ago. (the '60's) 331 Hemi, Muncie 4-speed, '56 Chevy rear. Drove it from Cape Cod to Colorado. Wish I had it back again. My wife of 40 years and I used to date in it. (Giant back seat was great at the drive-in!!)

28. GARY?

GARY?

Project Valdez cleanup is under way. The goal here is to figure out where the hell all the oil is coming from. Then nice things up a little bit while I'm at it.
    3x2 intake, old Mallory Dual life distributor, a heater so I can keep the windshield from fogging up this fall.
    I'm guessing new syncros in the trans and a u-joint as well.

Yank!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      59.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      86.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      67.5 KB
      Views:
  29. GARY?

GARY?

Now I can get a better look at everything.
    - fuel pump block-off was on upside down.
    -intake gasket looks to be leaking.
    - transmission is a mess, front tranny seal?.
    - cam freeze plug? Doesn't look to suspicious.
    Those could all make a mess.

Not to long ago I redid the rear main which may or may not have worked. We'll see later

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      66.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      72.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      67.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      68.8 KB
      Views:
  30. GARY?

GARY?

Found some name-brand hot rod goodies under the hood.

The Cragar adapter has had some repairs done to it at some point. Looking at it closer later I found a couple more small cracks that will need to be addressed, or maybe find a replacement.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      55.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      55.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg