Register now to get rid of these ads!

A good feeling

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnboy13, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Gomojo55

Gomojo55

You two got your posts in before I could, I understand this (see above). But as you said, as long as you have enough room to line the terminal and rotor, that's fine. I didn't. And Outlaw, I was never concerned with the mesh of the gears, it was simply where #1 ended up in relationship to the gears. Case closed, problem solved. :D

2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I hate to reopen the case, but wouldn't you want the "sweet spot" to be somewhere in the middle of your adjustment range and not the outer limits?

3. Gomojo55

Gomojo55

Which is exactly why I did what I did, so I would have a full range of motion to either advance or retard the timing. I simply set it up to match the distributor that came out by rotating the gear 180. It was exactly the same as the distributor that came out of it now and I could get the timing set and it runs like a dream. I couldn't get it to run right in the other configuration no matter what I did to the timing. If somebody else can explain why, that's fine.

4. outlaw256

outlaw256

the mesh of the gears isnt exactly what i was tryin g to convey.i m having a hard time putting this in words but ill try one more time. the gear is round, perfectly round. it dont care where it has a roll pin lined up at to hold it on.ah the hell with it to much pain meds this mornin maybe.lol right now im going out to the shop and grab a dist. gonna play some.

5. Gomojo55

Gomojo55

Trust me I know your pain. I think we're both having the same issue, getting our true intentions across to each other. haha, I really don't want this to cause a big issue. I can't tell you in words exactly why what I did worked. But I do know that it did work after me, my dad, my uncle, and an everyday hotrod mechanic couldn't get this thing to run right with the gear flipped around. Maybe we can work through it and figure it out as a group.

6. johnboy13

johnboy13

you come across as a super cool guy Gomojo. I wish all of us could act the same way, myself included.

7. Gomojo55

Gomojo55

Ha thanks. I guess we all have our good days and bad days. Sorry we hi-jacked your thread. I guess I didn't expect it to blow up like this. I simply had a problem, couldn't get it to work itself out through the usual methods, so I did what I did and it worked. That's really all that needs to be said about it. lol :rolleyes:

8. where is GMC Bubba the distributer guru on the hamb, chime in i would really like to know WTF!

9. That dot in the gear is supposed to line up with number one in the rotor. Of course it souls work if its on the other way around. You just have to adjust the distributor more. Maybe his case was there wasn't room. Turns out everyone is right

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. Gomojo55

Gomojo55

Exactly what I am trying to convey here. I found this little bit of info on the web.

"If you remove the distributor gear, be sure to note the position of the little “dimple” on the gear. It should align with the tip of the rotor."

Here is the link, about 3/4 of the way down.
    http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref5.html

11. Gomojo55

Gomojo55

12. Gomojo55

Gomojo55

13. outlaw256

outlaw256

well i just came back inside. i pulled the dist. from a sbc and pulled the gear and turned it around.put it back in and quess what. it runs.idles fine and revs fine. im still lost on what would make yours run better. lol i was trying to recreate your problem but i couldnt. oh well. yours runs good after that i quess thats what counts...this is gonna drive me nuts till i find out why.lol but that aint to hard anyway.ok gomojo, im givin up for now...ll and to the op.im sorry to hijack your thread.forgive a old mans insanity...brain damage from a bike wreck...lol true.

14. johnboy13

johnboy13

I'm not bothered at all guys. I've enjoyed reading it all.

15. Gomojo55

Gomojo55

That is interesting. Hmm...I was able to get mine timed, but it just wouldn't run worth a crap off idle. It was VERY sluggish but didn't really backfire, or knock at higher rpms. Started right up though. It acted similar to having a loaded cylinder or a dead plug or wire. And trust me, I checked all that stuff several times. Even checked for spark jumping across wires. It's boggling. But I do know, that it was like I flipped a switch when the gear got turned 180. Ran perfectly from then on out. Advanced the timing till she didn't like it anymore, backed it off 2 degrees and thats where it sits now.

16. Gomojo55

Gomojo55

Oh, and thanks for giving it a shot Outlaw!

17. Take that roll pin out all together and see how it runs. Bwahaha. I was freaking out one time because my truck died and I couldn't get it going again no matter what I checked. Had to have it towed home in the end. Playing with it under a much calmer situation I discouvered the distributer shaft could rotate freely. I thought the shaft was broken. Pulled the distributer out to find that little $.05 piece of crap that had just cost me a tow bill, had sheared off. Could have been worse.

18. Gomojo55

Gomojo55

Yeah, that sux! Did you find all the pieces of the roll pin?