Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What heater is in YOUR hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4 pedals, Sep 26, 2012.

1. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Winter is coming and I'd like to be warm this year. I installed a heater years ago from Mr 40's fatstuff, and later figured out it has a pathetic little core and a computer fan for a blower. Not good enough on a 20 degree morning. I want to put in something that has enough heat capacity to bake me out.

I've looked at what's available from both Speedway and Summit, theirs look similar enough I bet they are made by the same manufacturer. What else is out there that can be found reliably? The antique ones I see sometimes look cool, but would be inappropriate in my 64, not to mention I really don't want to have to rebuild one before I can install it.

What are you running, and are you happy with it?

Thanks,

Devin

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. A wool jacket and cap. Very happy.

seadog likes this.
  3. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

Good for for driving your 64 in the winter. I take my Acadian off the road around November. We don't get much snow here, but sometimes it does get icy and they do salt the roads, and as well I really only like driving my Acadian in the nice weather.
    Does the stock heater not work right? Can it not get fixed/rebuilt? Mine works great and blows lots of hot air.

4. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Stock heaters usually work as good as anything out there. I'd find a stock unit and have the core checked out as well as the blower motor and you could be as warm as everyone was in a 1964 winter.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. Gerg

Gerg

couldn't you get a heater core from any other car and a blower motor and make it work?

onetrickpony likes this.
  6. salf100

salf100

Great heater available from Sacramento Vintage Ford. Works good and hot! Decent price too.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

38mag likes this.
  7. Mopar 38

Mopar 38
    from Germany

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

What's a heater?

10. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

None...first thing I took out when I got my Studee.
    Leather jacket and gloves, with the windows rolled down,
    and the stereo cranked all the way up!

11. Lil32

Lil32

ditto, exhaust pipes under floor is enough. music up high.

12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

383 Chrysler

lake_harley likes this.
  13. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

says the guy in Arizona...

Elcohaulic likes this.
  14. Smith an Wesson nickel plated model 37.

15. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

GRAINGER...
    DC Mini Forced-Air Heaters

<TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" class="horizImgs ImgGrid"><TBODY><TR><TD style="WIDTH: 61px"></TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" class="GridCell ImageCell">[​IMG]
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Don't shiver in slow-to-warm vehicles. Hardwire these compact units to your battery using the three 1 1/2" long leads. Heaters have a quartz tube heating element, built-in thermostat that adjusts from -31° to +155° F, remote on/off switch, overheat safety shutoff, and fuse. Housing is black ABS plastic. Heaters come with a multimount bracket that allows for floor or wall mounting (fasteners included).

<TABLE style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px" id=RenderableTbl_634843232688538187ONSL class=ItmTbl><THEAD><TR><TH class=ItmTblColSuperHdrAlign></TH><TH class=ItmTblColSuperHdrAlign></TH><TH class=ItmTblColSuperHdrAlign></TH><TH class=ItmTblColSuperHdrAlign></TH><TH class=ItmTblColSuperHdrAlign></TH><TH style="PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 12px" class="ItmTblColHdrSpecEnd ItmTblColSuperHdrAlign" colSpan=3>O'all Size

</TH><TH class=ItmTblColSuperHdrAlign></TH><TH class="ItmTblColHdrEndPrice ItmTblColSuperHdrAlign"></TH></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px" class="ItmTblBaseHdrBorderCell ItmTblColBaseHdrNoPivotIndent NoWrapCell">Volts</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px" class="ItmTblBaseHdrBorderCell ItmTblColBaseHdrSpecInterior NoWrapCell">Watts</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px" class="ItmTblBaseHdrBorderCell ItmTblColBaseHdrSpecInterior NoWrapCell">Btu/Hr.</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px" class="ItmTblBaseHdrBorderCell ItmTblColBaseHdrSpecInterior NoWrapCell">cfm</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px" class="ItmTblBaseHdrBorderCell ItmTblColBaseHdrSpecInterior NoWrapCell">Amps</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px" class="ItmTblBaseHdrBorderCell ItmTblColBaseHdrRelSpec NoWrapCell">Ht.</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px" class="ItmTblBaseHdrBorderCell ItmTblColBaseHdrRelSpec NoWrapCell">Wd.</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px" class="ItmTblBaseHdrBorderCell ItmTblColBaseHdrSpecEnd NoWrapCell">Dp.</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px" class="ItmTblBaseHdrBorderCell ItmTblColBaseHdr NoWrapCell"></TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px" class="ItmTblBaseHdrBorderCell ItmTblColBaseHdrEndPrice NoWrapCell">Each</TD></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-INDENT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 15px" class="ItmTblCellIndentPivotNone ItmTblCellSpec ItmTblColSpaceSpec ItmTblContentCell NoWrapCell" data-mcm-prodgrps="1">12 VDC</TD><TD style="TEXT-INDENT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 15px" class="ItmTblCellSpec ItmTblColSpaceSpec ItmTblContentCell NoWrapCell" data-mcm-prodgrps="1">300</TD><TD style="TEXT-INDENT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 15px" class="ItmTblCellSpec ItmTblColSpaceSpec ItmTblContentCell NoWrapCell" data-mcm-prodgrps="1">1,100</TD><TD style="TEXT-INDENT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 15px" class="ItmTblCellSpec ItmTblColSpaceSpec ItmTblContentCell NoWrapCell" data-mcm-prodgrps="1">102</TD><TD style="TEXT-INDENT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 15px" class="ItmTblCellSpec ItmTblColSpaceSpec ItmTblContentCell NoWrapCell" data-mcm-prodgrps="1">25</TD><TD style="TEXT-INDENT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px" class="ItmTblCellSpec ItmTblColSpaceRelSpec ItmTblContentCell NoWrapCell" data-mcm-prodgrps="1">8 1/4"</TD><TD style="TEXT-INDENT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px" class="ItmTblCellSpec ItmTblColSpaceRelSpec ItmTblContentCell NoWrapCell" data-mcm-prodgrps="1">7 3/4"</TD><TD style="TEXT-INDENT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 12px" class="ItmTblCellSpec ItmTblColSpaceRelSpecEndBefrPartNbr ItmTblContentCell NoWrapCell" data-mcm-prodgrps="1">5 1/4"</TD><TD class="ItmTblCellPartNbr ItmTblColSpacePartNbr ItmTblContentCell NoWrapCell" data-mcm-prodgrps="1">17075K71</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 9px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px" class="ItmTblCellPrce ItmTblColSpacePrceAftrPartNbr ItmTblColSpacePrceTblEnd ItmTblContentCell NoWrapCell" data-mcm-prodgrps="1">$119.70</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

16. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Just bought a compact hot water heater w/3 speed fan & switch for $129 from Southern Hot Rod parts.Complete self contained unit.

The Speedway unit is too expensive and you have to buy the plenum front for $50. It`s not included.

Tired of having issues with old heater cores and six volt noisy fans.

My replacement heater core in the `54 F100 I recently had to replace cost $180. And try to find a heater core for an AD Chevy.Screw that.
    Going with a modern replacement unit.

As far as gloves and hat, that won`t work with the wife. She won`t even drive her roadster after October. I think she has single digit blood pressure or something....

17. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Did ya buy one??

18. I've used this heater for the last 24 years ..Gets real cozy ,if you're nice to it..

Attached Files:

19. outlaw256

outlaw256

that made me laugh hard. havent done that in awhile!! now as for my heaters, my 62 galaxie still runs factory heater, my 53 wagon uses a hole in the firwall to get heat from the headers, seems to work pretty good. plug it up in the summer thou. lol the other depend on leather jacket and gloves. and if its real cold i say screw it and take my tahoe.lol

20. I am modifying a 63 Dode pu heater for my model A

Lee

21. I have an aftermarket heater tucked behind a 46-48 car heater enclosure in my avatar - it will blow you outa there!

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, i.rant and LOU WELLS like this.
  22. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I have a 41 Ford COE that has no weather striping from the factory. I wanted to be warm this winter so I got a heater out of a GMC walk-in van that uses out side air to heat the drivers area. I placed it between the bucket seats in a consul and have the outlets comeing out from under the seats aimed at my feet. So far, it will drive me out of the truck on the low fan setting.

These heaters are avaiable new but are pricely,(3-$400) Junkyard price $20.

23. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

There is one in the bed of my Dodge Ram, one in my RHINO. and one on the shelf for the 27 roadster.

24. oldskooloutlaw

oldskooloutlaw
    from Tulsa

I have a neat heater from a 80s Datsun that I got at you pull it for $20 and it looks nice. I hope this doesn't offend anyone but not everyone can afford the big name parts and have to make what's available fit and work.

25. I used one of these for several years in my 32 mordoor and it worked ok if it wasn't below the mid 40's.

I hate cold weather and drive my hot rods year round,,I haven't installed a heater in the sedan yet but I will very soon and will probably use a aftermarket water heater. HRP

26. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

I like the idea of a 12V heater as I am going to want something similar as my drive to work is short enough that a water heater won't cut it for the most part.

27. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Aerocolor, which unit did you buy? They show 2 of them both for $129

Thanks

Devin

28. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

29. cartman4gc

cartman4gc

I've used three of these from Southern Air, compact, reliable, warm, has defroster opening knockouts, easy to hide behind a vintage (Hadees?) face.

30. bowtiemyk

bowtiemyk

1911a1 .45 auto