Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help, Rear Buggy spring set up on a T bucket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hickory, Sep 25, 2012.

1. hickory

hickory

Ok Guys I need some help. As you can see I have a problem. I bought this sight un seen. Big mis-stake!! Now I need to fix it right. How do I know where to weld in the new spring mounts with this buggy spring?? Thanks much for the help. Hickory

Attached Files:

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Clean that junk off;Buy some new shackles and put them horazontel to out side or spring with what ever new bracket /make or buy, no load,weld them on axle,after the load is put back on ,they will drop down so you have about 45* angle on shackle:cool:

3. I see a lot of cutting in your future.

4. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

lets see the rest of it

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

It looks like a Model A spring there so the perch eyes should be about 49.5"(verify this, I'm working on memory here) apart center to center. Shackles should be 1.5" each. Engage one shackle in the spring eye and perch, then spread the spring eyes to engage the other shackle. This will give you a tensioned spring and the best ride like Henry designed it.
    The whole setup there, both spring perch and radius rod bracketry is junk. Carefully cut it all away and buy some Pete and Jakes or even SPeedway brackets for both spring and radius rods.
    I'm afraid to ask to see how the front end setup looks or the frame either, but it's a start.

6. lamaison

lamaison
    from Canada

I agree it looks to be a Model A spring - more pictures and a measurement of the leaf width would help to confirm. 49.5" is the correct measurement between the perch eyes for a stock Model A spring. These springs are under a LOT of tension when installed on stock width perches and may be on your "installation" also - be very careful.

If you're planning on using the same rear end with new brackets, etc., you might first want to check that the housing hasn't been warped by all the previous attempts at welding.

Good luck - might be worth it to post pictures of other components for comments.

7. hickory

hickory

Thanks guys, I'm going to let you see some more!! Next post. But first, I came up with, the spring off, eye to eye at 42-1/2 inches. Pictured are a couple of brackets that I made and I have new speed way spring pivots. Think it will work? Hickory

Attached Files:

8. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Those shackles appear awfully long...should only be about 2" c to c. Brackets will probably work but need to be reinforced w/a gusset inline w/ the axle to prevent side to side flex/failure. Unloaded the spring/shackle assy should just reach the brackets, even some preload is a good thing.

dave

9. hickory

hickory

This is what I had on the front to start with. And the second is what I came up with. Axles out of a Chevy van?? Hickory

Attached Files:

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Something doesn't look right. Can't put my finger on it.

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

rat rod construction methods?

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

DO NOT reinstall that rear spring unless you increase the mounting eye spread to 49.5" eye to eye. COrrect length of shackles is 1 1/2" eye to eye. You'll just have a cleaner and still sloppy installation. You can make up a spreader to do it right OR install the main leaf and both shackles then stack the other leaves, probably about 5-6 should do it, on a length of all thread with nuts on both ends. Wrap the spring loosely with a length of chain, then pull the leaves down using large C-clamps. As it comes down, rewrap your safety chain. When you have it down flush, tighten up the chain, and clamps, slowly remove the all-thread and install a proper spring center bolt and tighten it down. Then remove the chain and clamps and enjoy a working suspension, if all else is OK.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I'd do some serious looking at that fawnky rack and pinion setup too.

It would probably do you some good if you posted a full set of pictures of that little jewel. Every angle, body on body off, steering column mounts, shaft from column to rack, motor mounts, transmission mounts, radiator mounts, fuel tank, brake lines, fuel lines, shock absorber mounts(didn't see any), etc. i think we can already guess the wiring is ........well ?

14. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

With that frame mounted R&P it is going to be un-driveable with the wheels flopping around like a fish out of water. And even if you do manage to drive it those un-gusseted front spring mounts are going to fail. Cut the whole front end off a try again without the R&P for starts , best idea is replace the entire front end. If the rest of the car looks like what we see here it's RR for sure.

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Hickory, you are being EXTREMELY smart to want to correct some of the issues to make the car safe and roadworthy. Lots of guys take offense at people trying to offer advice, but you are being very good about that too. My hat is off to you.

Please post lots of pictures of every detail, like was suggested. You may not want to hear some of the suggestions, but guys who have made every mistake in the book (like me :eek:) will only tell you the truth and try to save you some heartache later down the road.

Ok, that being said, from what I see in those pictures you need to question every aspect of this build. The welds were not good and the way things were done is scarey. The rear end you already know about, and the front end still has some things that I would not put on a car..ie, the spring mount and radius rod mount welded like that to the axle, and the rack and pinion steering setup.

Post up those pictures, the more the better, and we will go from there.

Don

16. hickory

hickory

Okay!! See if we are all on the same page?? I need to mount the new brackets 49-1/2 inches apart, from center to center of spring pivot to center of spring pivot and remake the shackles up to be 1-1/2 inches long?? This will roughly add 3 inches to the overall lenght of what I have now!! Thanks for your help, Hickory.

I know it is a POS, but I'm trying to redo it into something safe to drive. I have the back half of a 31 Model A so I can build an "A" Bucket?? Whats your opinion?? Hickory

Attached Files:

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Wow. Time to quit working on the rear end, you really need to strip that whole thing down to the bare frame and start fresh from there. That is what I would do if I were trying to straighten this car up. The basic frame looks maybe like it is savable, but no way to know that until you have pictures of it stripped bare. This is not going to be a quick fix, and I think you have to accept that fact.

Where did you find this car ?

Don

18. CGkidd

CGkidd

From what I can see on the pics I would agree with Don on this and Strip it down and go over every little item and ask questions.

19. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

I'm sorry that car looks like it was built by a blind man ! sheesh!! That power brake booster/MC standing up there like a flag pole!!!!! As Don said strip it down to the frame and try again . Pictures are so dark that I can't tell if the body can be made to work.

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The master cylinder wouldn't look half as bad if you lost the booster. You really do not need power brakes on a hot rod. If you mount something like a 60-66 Chevy or International dual chamber MC in that spot it would almost look like it should be there. (well, maybe not that exact spot, but more to the left)

You are going to take some harsh criticism, but if you hang in there and listen you can end up with a cool little rod out of this one.

Don

21. hickory

hickory

Yep!! It's a POS!! No doubt of that. I'm working on it little by little. That brake booster is soon to be replaced!! Can I go from power brakes to regular with just replacing that booster?? Sure do appreciate all the input. Gotta get ready for work. What about that measurement on the rear end?? Hickory

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You aren't hearing what we are saying, Hickory. The car needs to come down to every last nut and bolt and the frame is the place to start putting it back together. If you don't do it that way you will never get this car on the road, and even if you do it will not be one you want to drive.

We are going to give you some tough love here, but that is what it is going to take to save this one. Shoot those pictures tomorrow and post lots of them, then we will have a better idea.

No one is trying to be unkind here or bust your balls for the sake of doing it. We care about seeing other rodders do the right things to their cars and you will not find a better group of guys than on here to do that for you.

Forget the rear end and the brakes for now........strip that thing down. That is what a rod shop would do if you took it to them, and is the ONLY way to do it right.

Don

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No shame in doing it right. Your insurance company will thank you.

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was going to post something earlier, but I passed out when I saw the pictures.

Seriously, THE ENTIRE VEHICLE IS SUSPECT. Either rebuild it all, or scrap it. It cannot be on the road in this state.

25. hickory

hickory

Yep! I'll pull it all apart, down to the frame and redo it all. Come next spring!! But I need to get it out of my garage and over to my storage shed for the winter. If I lived down south or out west like most of you I would be pulling it apart right away. Yes I do appreciate all your help!! Thats a fact, and Thank you guy for all the response. Just need to get it movable before the white stuff flies!! Sincerely, Hickory

26. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

I can't see anything for front shocks.

What are those rods going to the rear off the front axle to the rear under the spring?

Rework involved for sure but good potential, it'll be worth the effort.

Ed

27. Ole don

Ole don

That rack and pinion mounting is frightening! Very dangerous if driven like that.