Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 GTO Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by superchargedill, May 28, 2010.

1. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

Looks very cool. Stance, interior, wheels...

2. This whole post gets me jazzed. Great cars, great projects, great conversation/debate, great history. Too much!
    Inspired me to share some tribute sketches of mine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gas_Tires_Oil likes this.
  3. cavemag

cavemag

Tried talking the people in my auto class to put a gasser goat with a rat fink lookin indian sticking out of the roof on the back of our shirts. Sadly with all the pc mumbo jumbo, and half the class thinking it was ridicilous we instead got stuck with a 55 chevy stake truck without a bitchin Indian sickin through the roof.

4. classic gary

classic gary

any more progress pictures?

5. superchargedill

superchargedill

Hi Guys,
    I've been back at it but haven't posted here for a while. Gotta get my rear in gear.
    I just had a 9' narrowed and put the Moser Engineering GM ends on. This way I can use my factory rear brake set up. Saweeeeet. Gonna be working on getting the rear end finished up and installed this weekend. Then I can order a driveshaft next week and get her rolling.

My boy layin on some flat black

Attached Files:

6. superchargedill

superchargedill

I'll put a few pics of my stereo set up here for you. I know the set up isn't old school but I'm not concerned with what you can see in the trunk. However, I am concerned with what you see inside of the car and especially the dash. No way was I going to put a modern stereo in the dash. So then I though about putting it in the glove box but that would have been way too easy and hard to reach while cruising. It does have a remote but you get the idea. Then I got an idea. I bought an 8 track player off Ebay for $23.00. I took all of the insides out. Then I cut the face loose in a way that it would all stay together and I could hinge it on the bottom. It was just big enough to slide my head unit in and have the opening action for the CD's to operate properly. I'm diggin it.

Attached Files:

7. superchargedill

superchargedill

I wanted to keep the alternator down low so I had to come up with a custom mount. I still need to add one more tube for support.

Attached Files:

8. superchargedill

superchargedill

And I didn't like the way the fuel lines and regulator were looking so I made some changes up top

Attached Files:

9. superchargedill

superchargedill

I also got the shifter and linkage all in and mounted. I tacked some bolts on to the tunnel so it sits nice and level. I opted for the truck shifter since it had a longer arm than the car model. It fits better with the bench seat. I think it looks more like a 4 speed shifter too. I'm not going to use the plastic base that it came with. Instead I'm have a leather shifter boot made.

Attached Files:

10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

this build is rad.

11. superchargedill

superchargedill

Thanks Guys. I hope to have her sitting back on all 4 wheels again tomorrow. I worked on getting that 9" housing all fitted with the upper brackets and got her installed today. That was a challenge and very time consuming getting it installed perfect. The center section is also in. I'll have the axles in, in the morning. I'll post more pics tomorrow.

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Just read the entire thread. Got to say you've got some staying power to see this one through like you have. When the GTO came out in '64 I knew they had a winner and not one since has turned me like the the origional. I was attending General Motors Institute at the time and a classmate quit school so he could get a job and buy one. I though he was nuts but after the car was delivered we spent quite a few nights on Saginaw street in Flint,MI going from stop light to stoplight taking on all comers. He won a lot and lost a few but I've got to say it was probably about the most fun I've had. Thanks for rekindling those old memories and don't let the experts put a dampener on your project. Like has been said most of the critics don't have the balls to build anything let alone something that takes this kind of dedication.

Frank

13. superchargedill

superchargedill

Here's a few pictures of the newly fabbed up 9" rear end. My friend Chuck at CW Auto Fab in Claremore, Ok did the narrowing for me. I used the Moser GM ends so I could use my factory brakes. That saved me some $$$. The note on the new housing ends says SOME modification required. All I had to do was open up the hole in the backing plate for the new larger bearing to fit through and grind a little off of the head of the backing plate retainer bolts since the outer diameter of the bearing area is a little bigger. I also bought the upper mounting ears and bushings from Moser as well as new 35 spline axles. The center section is a new Brute Force with 3.50 gears, spool and a forged 1350 yoke. Now I can order the driveshaft. It's getting close. I should be able to cruise through the hood this week. I'll take some video.
    Hey if you want to hear it run I have a video on my facebook page. Just look up Dil Brandow and you can see my entire build and videos.

Attached Files:

14. superchargedill

superchargedill

I got the rear bumper mounted this afternoon. Got that from VFN Fiberglass. I'll paint it to match the front. My buddy Axle gave me the idea to run the 64 Oklahoma plate.

Attached Files:

15. superchargedill

superchargedill

Here's a few pictures from this past weekend. I also have a few vids I need to get uploaded to YouTube but in the mean time you can go to my Facebook page ( Dil Brandow ) and check them out there if you like.

Attached Files:

16. jipp

jipp

nice set of wheels. :)
    chris.

17. NJDonzi

NJDonzi

The Blue 1965 GTO. Who ownes that car? I would like to pick his brain on some thinks he did.

Thanks!
    Scott

18. superchargedill

superchargedill

4-28-12 Cruisin down the freeway.
    Now that I'm finished with my brothers 65 build I get to start working on mine again.

Attached Files:

19. trksmth

trksmth

A picture is worth a thousand words! Great job!

20. superchargedill

superchargedill

Been putting the interior together and made some really cushy armrest for the doors. This should make some really bitchin calluses after while.
    I used MOON gas pedals, 3" gussets with holes and some 1" strap to tie it all together.

Attached Files:

21. Thanx for taking those kinda lower level, looking up - "worm's eye view", build pics of the blown engine in the modified frame. Excellent reference material for me on drawing gassers. Always trying to figure out the underlying mechanicals and how they fit together in perspective. Takes out a lot of mystery for me!

22. superchargedill

superchargedill

Having fun in the garage. Just about ready for the Route 66 Rendezvous in San Berdoo, Ca in 2 weeks.

Attached Files:

23. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

Its lookin good man!

24. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Cool! You're gonna post a video of the car running, yeah?

25. superchargedill

superchargedill

Hi Guys, We just got back from the 2012 Route 66 Rendezvous in SanBerdoo, Ca and had a blast. I hadn't seen my brothers car since he took it home in April to start working on the body and paint. He totally amazed me with what he did to his 65. I completed my paint job and interior just before the trip so we were both hustling to get out cars ready for the Route. I uploaded an entire 2012 Route 66 Rendezvouse album on my facebook page if any of you are on FB and want to check it out. Just look up my name Dil Brandow and look in my photos for that 2012 Route album.

Attached Files:

26. superchargedill

superchargedill

Here's a couple of shots with both of our cars together. It'll probably be a few years before I can consider towing back out to SoCal again to hang with my bro and our cars. Friggin diesel costs bout broke the bank. But the old 97 Ford Power Stroke ran like a champ and didn't miss a lick at 165,000 miles. Love my old truck

Attached Files:

27. What great looking cars, both of them. Glad you had fun in San Bernardino. The Rendevous is always a great show, but blazin' hot!!