Register now to get rid of these ads!

'36 Ford Rearview mirror re-silvering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SquirrelTail, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Hi All!

I have in my possession, one rearview mirror out of my Grandfather's '36 Ford Sedan. It's really neat in that it has a clock clamped on to the back of it. I have a reputable shop doing the repairs and restoration of the clock and bracket....but I need the mirror re-silvered. Here's the catch, where the clock shows through the mirror needs to be clear (preferably with the V8 logo painted on it!). I am running into trouble finding a glass place that will re-silver it with that circle clear. Since they obviously could do it in 1936, there's got to be somewhere in the US that will do it today?! Please help a girl out, I would like to have this sentimental piece in my '28 Sport Coupe I am building! :)

2. Try some local antique dealers they may have suggestions.

Charlie Stephens

3. FASI

FASI

Bob Drake made these glass mirrors years ago. Check with him and some of his dealers in case any are left. Good luck.

4. Thanks Charlie! I have a few lines in the water. Just waiting to see what pans out. I know I seem to be asking a lot of advice on here, but I am new to the site, and to building a car. This is my first one and the details can be a bit overwhelming! I appreciate everyone on here! :)

5. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

do you have a picture?

6. FASI,

I just contacted Bob Drake, we'll see what they say. If they have a repop, that would be cool! Thank you again for the tip!

7. Gunswanted: Let's see if I can get this to go through. I found ONE pic online that would show the mirror complete....

Attached Files:

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If no repros...search this on Model A board at Ford Barn. They have had suggested places that re-silver, though that kind I think has a lot of the clock face printed on the glass.

9. Mark T

Mark T

I had an antique mirror resilvered locally at a shop that refinished furniture, if you can't find something closer let me know and I'll see if they still do it.

10. Thanks Mark T! I've been digging pretty hard on this. It seems kind of like a small detail to be stressin about, but it was from my Grandpa's car, so the sentimental value far outweighs the insignificance of the part in general. Besides, the mirror/clock is pretty friggin neat!

11. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

You can try A & L Specialties.
    They are in Canton Conn. and I believe they do their own clock mirrors.
    860 693 0112 or 860 693 2620
    Let me know how it works out!

12. uncle buck

uncle buck

Is this is the string wind version? If so , contact Ron at Rons Corner in Winston,MO. He is a very nice and helpful guy and his phone # is (660)749-5473. I worked with him a few years ago to set up and make a new beveled mirror with all of the silkscrean on it including the V-8 logo in the middle of the clock face. It came out very nice.

13. uncle buck

uncle buck

It was this style.

Attached Files:

14. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

15. Uncle Buck! That's my mirror! Except my clock has a black face! I am going to give him a call right away!

LSR: I will also check into your leads as well. Everyone, thank you so much for helping a Newbie out! :) I can't wait to see this thing finished. I have a reputable shop in Fargo here restoring the clock...it was over wound and the main spring broke, and it needs a new pull string. But they are going to clean it up, re-paint it and the bracket that holds the mirror on...I just need the mirror re-silvered and that V8 logo repainted. Again, I hope to get more involved on the HAMB so I can pay it forward and help others!

16. Uncle Buck:

I called Ron just now and he's going to re-silver my mirror! I'm shipping it to him today. Thank you again SO much for all the help! And to everyone who commented! YAY!