Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it possible to flip a SBC exhaust manifold? My weird engine swapped project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustomkarma, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

in my old CJ-5, with a SBC, I flipped a set of Hooker "shortie" Headers upside down, with some elboes & a pair of SuperTrapps, back in the late 80's early 90's... goal was a street legal exhaust that didn't go under the truck, to get damaged by extreme wheeling... whole exhaust system was the size of a normal set of headers

so I'd bet you could pretty easily find or modify the parts needed to do it

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  2. squirrel

squirrel

I know, the ones I pictured are the late 60s 340 parts, they have the nice big curves because they're trying to make them flow. Here's the early one, it's pretty wild too

Attached Files:

3. PonchoJohn

PonchoJohn
    from Fresno, Ca

If you were to use the 80's truck manifold, you can make a simple "L" bracket from angle iron that would bolt to an accessory hole on the end of the head. The other end of the "L" would be tapped so a bolt can screw into it. Tighten this bolt so it puts pressure on the end of the exh. manifold and retain w/ a jam nut- Voila! now you can bolt a late model manifold onto an earlier head.
    Another option is to look at the TPI/TBI F-body cars of the 80's/90's.. I recall my old '88 Trans Am had some large (for a SBC) exhaust manifolds that were of a different configuration.
    HTH :)

4. Weedburner

Weedburner
    from Wa State

I flipped cast manifolds upside down / swapped sides when i put a sbc into a '61 Falcon back in the '70s. Cut holes in back of the towers for the exhaust which exited behind the front tires. Can't remember what the manifolds were off of, but they were installed upside down.

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

6. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Some interesting answers here! The first order of business is putting the stock steering back together. Currently, the lower ball joints are turned back to front and swapped side to side to make it front steer - so all the geometry is wrong. I've got some stock parts coming so we'll see where the clearances end up. I'm looking at the steering box as a constant variable, so everything will have to be worked around that. I might end going out the fenderwell, but I'm really trying to avoid it.

7. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

8. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

I'm basically thinking of doing the same thing - up and over - just exiting to the front. It's going to look a little funky I'm sure - just as long as it works. :D

9. williebill

williebill

my old 39 had the 265 manifold on the left,worked fine for a very mild 283. Port size didn't affect me the way I drove it.

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. aaggie

aaggie

I am currently finishing up a project '89 Mustang fastback with SBC engine. I have a collection of almost all of the exhaust manifolds Chevy ever built and I used a right side pickup manifold on the drivers side that exits to the front and another pickup left side that exits down behind the stock mechanical fuel pump. I will try and attach a picture.

12. terryble

terryble
    from canada

I am guessing there have been a few heart attacks in HAMB land after reading about these Chevys in Mopars and Fords. That's the only thing that could explain the lack of nasty responses!

13. dad-bud

dad-bud

I have no problems with SBC's so I've got no axe to grind, as it were, but if the motor is fresh and strong, why not try selling it and buy a Mopar, then you should be able to squeeze one into where it was supposed to be.
    You may even be able to get a 440 which should have plenny-o-torque to provide lo-cost get up and go.
    It may make your life a whole lot easier ............!?
    Dunno, just a suggestion.

14. squirrel

squirrel

Squeezing a 440 into an early A body isn't going to make life any easier....

I wonder if the pass side manifold that goes below the plugs, will clear the steering shaft? or if it drops down to far? that's why I suggested the "above the plugs" version

15. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Thanks for all the responses. It's gonna have to be a try it and see kinda thing after I get the steering sorted out. Just to recap. These things are all new and already installed:
    custom aluminum radiator, Jacobs ignition, cam with gears and chain, Holley carb, custom driveshaft, complete exhaust all the way back to the rear bumper, edelbrock manifold, electric fan, etc. etc. It's all in there and works well - so the SBC will be staying put. My main help on the project is GM Master Certified and doesn't like Mopar drivetrains. I happen to like Mopars, so it's a good fit. Not to mention the price was within my budget - and a good buy. I'll try to get some pics posted when I get a chance.

16. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

I'm a little surprised myself, but it's what I've got and I ain't changing it. To me, Hot Rodding is all about trying new things and making due with what you've got - hopefully mind over wallet engineering.

17. JCShiels

JCShiels

Back in the early 60's when the "compacts" came on the scene they all got SBC's installed and Hot Rod ran articles. Some one on here must have the article from back then where the Valiant recieved a SBC, it would show how they solved the problem of the exhaust.

18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Personally, in this case, I would use the early 265 SBC mainfolds, only open up the ports. I knew a guy once that did a 289 into a Pinto swap, he just swapped the exhaust manifolds side-to-side, so they dumped out the front, and went from there with the exhaust. Worked fine for him. There were a lot of manufacturers who made fenderwell headers for the Darts/Valiants of the day (273-318-340 engines); I wonder if there are commercially made fenderwell header for a SBC that would work with the Dart (Chevy II/Tri-Five maybe)? I think the over-the-plug, log manifolds of the 305 engines, though they may work, are just too ugly to consider for anything other than a last resort. Butch/56sedandelivery.

19. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

God will punish you for putting a SBC in a Dart....

20. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

I've been biting my tongue for a while now.

You can always tell Chevy guys when you see them but you can't tell them much.

21. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

I didn't put it there. :p

22. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

I would love to see this article if someone has got it as the next logical progression for this car after I get it on the street is to do a 1960's flavored build.

23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I did a little looking, and this is what I found on that auction site we all know and love, (E-Bay, there, I said it!). If you look up item # 380464486233, you'll find a set of headers meant for a turbocharger setup that exit to the front (I have nothing to do with this product/vendor). Seems like a way out to me, fairly cheap, and looks good too. And who cares what engine goes into what car, as long as it's not an import engine of course. Butch/56sedandelivery.

24. Now what i want to know is how did they fit the dist in with the wiper motor in the way? Also isin't the starter on the driver side? that will make for more trouble with the steering. Post up some pics of this.

25. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Starter is on the right side...oil filter on the left but far back and vertical...

26. squirrel

squirrel

chevy and mopar small blocks have the distributor in the same place

27. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

My little Dart happens to have a recess in the firewall right where the distributor sits. The distributor itself is also some kind of one off custom piece. The wiper motor for this year is in a slightly different position than other years. I promise I'll get some pics this weekend so you guys don't go crazy lol. I've got some parts coming so I can put the steering back the way it should be so I should be able to make some progress in the next couple of weeks. Now if I could just find a damn gas cap that doesn't cost a million dollars.

28. JCShiels

JCShiels

In the Oct. 1960 Hot Rod was the article on a Chevy V8 into a Valiant. It was actually the cover story.

29. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Thanks for the info!