Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

The other Jimi...

2. Mart

Mart

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

WELL SAID. ;) I'm no psychologist, but I think the 'Good Ol' Days" mindset has always come, in part, from the human tendency to remember and celebrate the good moments in life and just not spend any more time than necessary dwelling on the bad.:eek: It's when we stop and think about it that we remember unpleasant life aspects. Child labor, poverty, TB hospitals, black lung, train wrecks, the polio scare, Jim Crow, plant closings, McCarthy's witch hunt, the Cold War and the Red Scare, people coming back from battle with permanent scars (or not coming back at all), playing catch-up in the Space Race, on and on.

The other side of the coin, IMO, is the very resilience of human spirit that always seeks -- and often succeeds -- in creating good times and activities in the midst of mundane or difficult existence. Starting from Page 1 of Dog's thread, we have countless photos evidencing the inventive ways people did this in "vintage" times. Building your own car out of junkyard parts and making a big noise while pissing off the cops and giving kids something to laugh about at school on Monday -- just one of a thousand ways we entertained ourselves without letting lack of dough stand in the way.:D

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I never get tired of seeing pix of the oldies, as they were originally, and in a ton of different situations! :D Pic #1 from PercBoy: People often ask where all the hundreds of thousands of rod-material vehicles went. Hey, they were cheap and plentiful, and guys used them like Kleenex.:eek:

We've had this LIFE pic before. But I overlooked the mill before. What IS it?:confused:

5. Mart

Mart

The motor is probably a 4 cyl but appears to have a V8 Dizzy adapted to it.

Mart.

6. Smirnoff

Smirnoff

Actually participated in a company after work bowling function there about 10 years ago.....appears they are still in business.

7. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Attached Files:

8. 56shoebox

56shoebox

This place, located just "south" of the N. Carolina state line on rte 95 in S. Carolina, is still open. How? I do not know. It is a virtual ghost town and has been for years. Not the thriving spot it once was.

9. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

I can hear it now.....dum de dum dum...de dum dum.

10. GRandma Retro

GRandma Retro
    from NY

I hope you dont mind that I share your pictures

11. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

That's got to be Wilson Pickett at the mike. And the guitar player, not only is he left handed, he's playing that Strat upside down. Hmmm, I wonder who that could be.......

12. Dog427435

Dog427435

[​IMG]

It’s definitely not the magic place it was when I was a kid – but I still can’t drive by without stopping in!!:)<O:p</O:p

13. Dog427435

Dog427435

or this -

[​IMG]

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I thought Wilson Pickett too. Not only is Jimi playing left-handed, I remember reading that he did that because he was self taught:eek:, and it was just how playing felt more natural for him.

Jimi was one of a kind. He could take, say, a decent Johnny Rivers song and make it sound unique (unlike most cover artists). For some reason, "All Along the Watchtower" has been near the top of my list of Hendrix faves. Hell, I ain't even African-American, but when I heard "Purple Haze" the first time, I was hooked. "When the Wind Cries, Mary," well?:cool: I dare anybody to come close. When he and Jim Morrison died, I felt as if close relatives had died. :( Word.

Both of those guys drove themselves too hard. Shit, WHAT talent!!!:eek: Unlike the Fab-4, the Stones didn't always shoot for the "Main Stream" audience (but managed to sell millions anyway!). Lennon was encouraging rare, talented acts when the Beatles were in their prime as an act; I wonder what he'd be doing now, if not for the damned "man with no name."

15. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

That is exactly what they were - You will notice a rail track side to Protect the Pit Crew from the race cars
    Everyone associated with racing in those days had to sit and walk with their legs spread wide open due to their very large testicals

16. I don't believe that bodywork comes from this vehicle or similar.

The headlights bare some resemblance but the main air intake is quite different. This car is oval in shape the bodywork in question is nothing like that. It is more rectangular and has the upper and lower edges of the intake are parallel.

17. unkamort

unkamort

#53123 I had an album with Jimi from his early days with the King Curtis band. No photos on the sleeve to verify this but it could be...

18. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Yep Wilson Pickett and Jimi. Maybe they're playing Hey Joe or Mustang Sally.

[​IMG]

Cornell Dupree, Wilson Pickett & Jimi Hendrix.

19. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

If you are left handed you flip the strings and the guitar, makes sense, I think

20. noboD

noboD

But Jimi didn't do that, he learned to play it upside down.

21. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

Jimi worked as a recording session musician in NYC back in the mid '60s. King Curtis was the top saxophone soloist in the NY studios at that time, so I'm sure they played on each other's projects together. And Cornell Dupree played in King Curtis' recording and show band, the Kingpins. So I'm sure that these brilliant players fed off of each other. And they all played anonymously on hundreds of backing tracks that we still listen to everyday. That's just the nature of studio work.

22. Tell em where you got em and include a link to this thread. Gonna hit 12 million views pretty soon now.

23. I thought it was a Riley two port head...

Where do you see a V8 dizzy?

24. That left handed guitarist is playing a Fender Jaguar... whoever he is *ahem*!

25. Look right between the two carbs over the center of the engine. Its a 34-36 dizzy with the drive pointed straight down into the valve cover (probably running off the center of the cam), the plug wires are coming out of the front and the coil is pointed to the drivers side. Pretty wild set-up!

26. swi66

swi66

27. swi66

swi66

28. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    Springfield Mass
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]