Register now to get rid of these ads!

My all-time favorite #1 car is here! (slight warning: not 100% hot rod!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CRH, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

I just drove this car home 4 hours ago. I am still in shock... I love my '27 T, and am excited to build another. I also love the '30 Coupe project I am building, with it's traditional, tall proportions.

But I still must admit, this car is my #1 dream car of all time. I simply love the 1965 GTO convertible. I was able to get this car from a very nice gentleman who just lost his father. This man sold me the GTO for a more-than-fair price, and kept telling me that I was "the right one"...that the car was "right" with me. And he had TONS of calls and offers. I think it was simply because I was genuine; I basically told him I loved that car and my offer was not enough to meet it's worth. He definitely was still mourning from the recent passing of his father, showing gentle suffering for the loss. This car was his father's.

I apologize if this is a little off topic for the HAMB, but hey: Ryan talked up the '65 Riviera, and as many of you know I made sure and injected my obsessive slant on his post about my love for '65 GM cars!!! And honestly... This is the be-all, end-all car for me.

[​IMG]

It is a REAL '65 GTO convert, with it's original interior complete, and only one repaint long ago in the original Montero Red. PHS documented this car for me today, even though they are closed for moving!!! I was desperate, but they managed to find time to process my desperate fax between moving all of there equipment to a new office. I had to know before I picked up the car, and my prayers were answered, literally.

I had done my homework, but I still had doubts since I have been burned by a clone before. It had the 5N code on the cowl tag but I still wanted to rule out any possibility; even VIN swap. And PHS saved the day!!

I quickly had to remove the Centerline's once I got it home, and my little daughter was glad to help. I am super stoked and super happy!!!!!:):)

[​IMG]

There's baby, and yes I am going to remove the anti-hop bars!!!

[​IMG]

Original interior, not re-covered. Anyone want the Dixco tach? It wil have to go!

[​IMG]

I had to hurry and throw the plain 14" steel wheels and dog dish caps on, running it down to the gas station for a fill up. It sits a little high and the tires still have sanding primer dust all over them (from sitting in the shop waiting for a GTO to come along someday!!!). But hey, it is my favorite car of all time!

2. williebill

williebill

Cool story. I agree,the right guy got it. Good luck

3. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

Thanks man!

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Gorgeous goat. I think the 65's were the crispest styled year GTO, and that is coming from someone who owned 2 66's.

You did good. :)

Wonder why he had traction bars on it ? GTO's launch hard with no hop from my experience, and I ran cheaters on mine.

Don

5. Nice. Congrats, man! I'm still looking for that 'just right" 57 super chief or cheiftain 2 door hardtop...I want just one more!
    65 Goats are just a shade more groovy than a 64 and a 64 is really a fun car. 66-67's? Not so much.

6. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

Congratulations, pretty incredible.

7. A tub

A tub

nice, congrats and enjoy, i like the gto's, great cars, not many here in Australia, id love to own one also, theres so many reasons to like em:D

8. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A long time ago a friend had one, 4 speed, 3 deuce, posi in the same color convertable bought new. I drove a beater 32 Pickup with a 283 so he blew me away easy.

9. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Congratulations!

10. It's a beautiful car, man. One of my favorites too!

11. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

SCHWEEEEET...i like goats

12. Bushmaster

Bushmaster
    from Austin, TX

Beautiful car! I had 3 '65s and a couple of '66s back in the early '70s, and the '65 was always my favorite. Yours looks outstanding and I loved the backstory, too.

Man, I guess you were lucky, Don. My '65s weren't that bad, but the '66s wheelhopped like there was no tomorrow. I think everyone I knew with a GM A-body back then ran an airbag in the right rear coil. I'll never forget the sound of that axle slamming against the floorboards when I'd jump on it off the line.

13. Congrats! Nothing like finally bringing home "the car".

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. slim tempo

slim tempo

I can still remember the first time I drove one. Could chirp the tires in every gear but 4th. Still tried a lot though.

15. Midget25

Midget25

65's are my favorite GTO,good job. Enjoy.

16. upspirate

upspirate

Nice score...I liked the 65 as well as the 66-67,but never owned one.

Did buy a new '73....400 cid 3 sp bench seat base GTO though....last year for the intemediate body GTO

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

'65 is my favorite GTO by far. Just something about the cleaned up front end with the stacked headlights and blacked-out grill inserts. The perfect evolution from the '64. The '66 & later just seemed 'bigger' to me, though still beautiful cars.

Great score!

18. Kinky6

Kinky6

Gas, Tires, n' Oil. ;)

I ain't offended; looks good!

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

19. I've owned several 64's and 65's.

To me they are one of the best looking all around cars out there.

Nice score!

Hopefully the haters won't have this thread deleted.

They would wheel-hop but.....................

What I'd like to know is how you can have "slapper bars" with a coil spring suspension???

20. JYPSEA

JYPSEA
    from Florida

21. Good looking ride! HRP

22. Bushmaster

Bushmaster
    from Austin, TX

Those were definitely more for looks than anything - back when the yellow Lakewood slapper bars were SOP on leaf sprung cars. Not a lot of spring windup in those A-body lower control arms. :D

23. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

I totally agree. And man, a 57 will be cool. I have a '64 project car that someday I will put together. Man I like those two years!

24. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Muscle cars NOOOO! Just pulling your chain. Great that you found you dream machine and it is so nice and I love the fact you had been waiting and had the wheels for the car already. You improved 10 fold already. Congrats on a cool ride.:rolleyes:cool:

25. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

I can't decide if I want to go plain steel and dog dish caps on thin whitewall bias plies (which I put on last night) or if I want Rally I's with red line bias plies. Also, I am super stoked that the car is so original:

-Only one thin repaint in identical color, done who knows when.
    -Original Morrokide Upholstery looks awesome!!!
    -Not lots of options, but 4 speed and original console are!
    -Body in general is nice and straight, and only one really weird rust problem area.
    -Safe-T-Track rear

I apologize to those who rate this thread as a waste. I simply couldn't hold back from sharing a wonderful milestone in my life. Also, look past the first pictures! I am not going to leave Centerlines and traction bars! This car will be '60s correct!

26. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

Thanks man!!!

27. flathead okie

flathead okie

No problems with the car. Early GTO's are grrrrrrrrrrrreat. :D

28. TexasDart

TexasDart

Ralleys and redlines would look great. Nice GTO!

29. Congrats! My favorite year for thr GTO! I would be concerned with the tires if they sat for to many years.I have been told they go bad after 3 or 4 years...That thing is beein for some Cragar S.S. wheels and Redline tires! But then again,I'm biased...Have fun!!!

30. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

X2 on redlines they just look so right on a GTO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.