Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fitting Model A Radiator: Hits Fan!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KANE MCAFFER, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Working Class Zero

Working Class Zero

I have a 1930 model a pick-up with a 1932 B motor. It has a '32 style k-member in the original A frame to fit up a '32 Trans. Trans is bolted to k member and motor to that for mock up. The fan is hitting the rad. Here's the question: I'm using an old AA rad while waiting for the correct A rad to arrive. Am I hitting for any reason because its the AA Rad or are they the same as far as mounting at the fan side as a regular A rad? I know you need a deeper shell for the AA but would it matter at the engine side for fitting? Trying to determine if this is the problem or if my motor is too far forward, which is unlikely as I took the appropriate measures when installing the K member but possible or is it the AA rad throwing it off or , '32 water pump or...... Help?!? Thanks guys!!

2. aa rad is an inch thicker
    tk

3. Working Class Zero

Working Class Zero

Ok it's thicker but is it the extra thickness not just making it protrude further out front of the car or does it affect at fan side? Did that make sense? Haha

4. Working Class Zero

Working Class Zero

Nobody else has any insight here? Hmmmm.....

5. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

If it just the blades, bend them

6. -Brent-

-Brent-

No, don't do that!

I'm not knowledgeable about AA radiators, can you post up the thickness? As well, maybe a pic it - how it is sitting.

7. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Since you dont have any pictures I'd first guess you have the engine positioned to far forward. The radiator only goes in one spot, put the hood on and match the hood lines to the cowl and radiator. If they line up and still something is hitting its not the radiators fault.

8. Fenders

Fenders

Unless the AA radiator is too deep.
    why not wait til you get the A radiator?

9. -Brent-

-Brent-

Dick, I was thinking of that. However, it'd be immediately apparent by the front mount if the engine was too far forward.

10. Kane,

I would sure like to hear your response to Brent's comment about the front motor mount. If the mount fits that would eliminate the motor being too far forward. The '32 4 cylinder water pump installed on the '32 head places the fan in the same location as the model A pump installed on the Model A head. The '33-'34 pumps that bolt to the '32 head are shorter so that is not your problem.

Charlie Stephens

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

Charlie, I'm a novice with B stuff, but is it true that truck pumps are shorter, as well? Or, is it that they were longer?

12. hotrodbrad

hotrodbrad

Move your radiator mounts forward

13. No. The shorter pumps came out in 1933-34 to allow for the radiator sloping back.

Charlie Stephens

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

Good to know, thanks!

15. Working Class Zero

Working Class Zero

True about the engine mount, however I have to fabricate the front mounts to make use of the '32 mounting bar going to my '30 front crossmember. I have yet to do this as I am waiting on a '32 timing cover to replace my early '28 one. I need to get the rad fitted without contact and hood lining up etc. to see if the motor is in the correct location so I can do the front mounts. Know what I mean?

16. Working Class Zero

Working Class Zero

That's the question.......

17. Working Class Zero

Working Class Zero

They do not line up, the rad hits the fan shaft before it can be upright enough to have hood line up.

18. Working Class Zero

Working Class Zero

Could , but I want to run a stock hood....

19. -Brent-

-Brent-

Is it not possible to run an A style front mount rather than a B style?

20. Working Class Zero

Working Class Zero

Working on posting some pics right now, always have trouble gettin em on this forum though...........

21. Working Class Zero

Working Class Zero

Worst case a 33 34 pump might make it work???

22. Working Class Zero

Working Class Zero

Could but The '32 set up is better up front especially since I have no mid motor mount with the 32 trans and bell housing....

23. Working Class Zero

Working Class Zero

Ok hood fits with AA Radiator and AA Shell. Only reason it wasn't fitting earlier is I had the '31 A shell on the AA Rad. Puts sleeve on Rad to far forward cause A shell is not as deep. Duh, I'm an idiot. However the fan is crazy close to the rad. aAs it sits with fan off the pump shaft end is about 1/8 away from rad. wWhen I put fan on though it hits because the castle nut. ca'nt get the castle to quite get on far enough to get cotter in, barely...... Let me try again....

24. reece

reece
    from NC

Could you fab some side mounts in order to use the Model A front motor mount? I have a B motor and trans that is getting ready to go in a '28 A. I plan on building my own side mounts but I know Bert's sells a Float a Motor kit especially for mounting a B motor and trans in an A.

25. Working Class Zero

Working Class Zero

Let me ask this..... What should the clearance be from fan blade to rad? And, or fan castle nut to rad?

26. Working Class Zero

Working Class Zero

Currently I'm Almost in ok but only like a 16th of clearance....

Maybe 1/8th

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  27. Working Class Zero

Working Class Zero

Ok took measurement on the AA Chassis which I still have (anybody want to buy it) and the tranny is still bolted in it. Measured from front of bellhousing to the rad mount hole, then from bellhousing to rad mount hole on the hot rod, and presto, identical. So the motor is in the right location. So it looks like all is good but for the question of fan clearance, what should it be fan nut to rad? I might be right where i'm sposed to be. Can anyone measure theirs for me?

28. If you use the '33-'34 pump you also need the matching timing cover the relocates the generator towards the rear of the car and the crankshaft pulley that is shorter.

Charlie Stephens

29. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The AA radiators and shells are thicker towards the front so the mounting points and hood fit either A or AA vehicles.

30. carmuts

carmuts

First thing that comes to my mind other than having the right timing cover is frame sag at the motormounts and worn/rotted body blocks. Rod