Register now to get rid of these ads!

ROAD RACE MODEL A ---build thread---

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seret, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Go man go! Sick build sir, can't wait to see it done. Subscribed!!

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

wow its like you read my mind/day dreams. any suspension info?

3. Hellfish

Hellfish

Beautiful. I love your build logs.

4. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Yes.. Subscribed!

5. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

That's a well purpose built car. Can't wait to see it in action.

6. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

pretty friggin sweet!!!!

7. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Oh boy! This is awesome! I am subscribed on this one. I love what I am seeing, full cage, set-back engine, great stance, lightening holes everywhere, and that header set-up is fantastic. Keep the pictures coming!

8. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Amazing! Don't forget that SCTA requires a plate on the frame where the roll cage meets the frame,,explaining a little better,,you didn't box the whole frame, but it needs to be 'boxed' where the cage meets the frame.

9. Can't wait to see on the salt. Very cool.

10. sr808

sr808

More great work. The tube fab looks amazing. The Silver State will be cool in this car.

11. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Most excellent. This sort of thing has been knocking around in my head for a while. Keep going, and don't mind if I do a little stalking and idea-stealing down the road...

12. GARY?

GARY?

Kind of funny. I don't believe Seret has mentioned Bonneville once and folks are
    already waiting in line for tickets.

I really dig the lightening holes, especially when they are a race car.

That has a really mean profile. With the bellypan on it I'm picturing Barney's maroon roadster.

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

RE all the holes... have you saved them all? How much do they weigh? Trouble versus weight saved ratio is..... ? Gary

14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Man, there is so much I dig about this car --- especially the engine/trans choice!!

Thanks for posting the build!

Malcolm

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

I've always wanted to do a street version road race style Model A Coupe ...... I'll be watching you :)

16. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Foookin BITCHIN'!

17. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

18. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

You need to pay better attention to all of his builds...:)

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732837&highlight=seret

19. seret

seret

For the rear kick up all I did was cut the frame in half and set the rear section were I wanted it. then I just made a new radius section out of plate steel kind of like a c notch just with more flow. I have to redo part of it, to clear the axle so when I take the body back off Ill take some close ups.
    the suspension is simple speedway tube axle for Chevy kingpins. reverse eye spring and maybe a NASCAR style sway bar. but I want to drive it before I add stuff I don’t need. shocks will be mounted on f-1 shock mounts.
    the rear is a 37 rear spring full pack, with a cross member made from a square tube.

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'm with you... one like that is next up for me. But it will be more of a GT car, with some simple pleasures to make hitting the road easier. Gary

21. seret

seret

Sure would look good with some so-cal knock offs!!!!;);)

22. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Coupla more sources...Pete on here, the camgrinder, who is the real thing in that endeavor...and the issue of Honk! magazine (August 1953, try looking way behind the new mags at the newsstand!) with features on the Balchowski deuce and the Manning racer, with Manning's recipe for full synchro '39 box!
    A race feature in there too covers the Pebble Beach road race, with several hotrods including a '30 roadster running...

23. seret

seret

thanks for the heads up. originally I had planed to box the inside with a zig-zag truss style boxing plates and a square at each point of the cage. like what your talking about.

If you guys see tech stuff that looks missing or needs to be changed feel free to let me know. Id rather have it brought to my attention now or re-do it now, than after the car is done!

24. oldsboy

oldsboy

more lightening holes!....subscribed.

25. Go Matt Go!! Circle track, dragracing, Bonneville, dirt track, bungy jumping, off road...There is no limits my man!!

26. banjorear

banjorear

Love the exhaust routing. Great work!

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dammit! Stop building such cool stuff! I mean... Keep up the good work!! ;):D:D

That seriously rules! I wanna' hear that thing run!

I dare you to road race that all the way to North Carolina! :D

28. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

God.. I think about building stuff like this.. "love specials" but thinking about it is about as far as I get.... Great build !!!

29. GARY?

GARY?

Greg's beauty comes to mind.

Attached Files:

30. seret

seret

Welding the headers together took longer than I thought it would and Tim took them home to belt sand the flanges for me. So I decided to start working on the deck lid. Originally I was just going to peal the skin off, louver it, and put it back on, but I found some rot. So I decided to make an aluminum skin For it. First thing I did was stop peeling the skin off with my special screwdriver skin pealing tool, and just cut it off. Then I rolled out the basic shape onto a piece of .063 3003 aluminum. I roll a little crown into it but not too much. from there I break the left and right edges over . By this time I get the edge to 90 degrees, the panel is straightened back out so I make a template of the inner skin and start shrinking the edge to match. Since I have already rolled the shape in the skin, it is under tension and it comes back into shape fairly easily. After I get the edge to match the inner skin I go back and wheel some crown into the skin. Since I had the outer skin off I found some available real estate for 4 more holes!. Then it was on to the louver press for 6 rows of louvers. I still have some work to do to the inner skin, so for now its on to something else. <p>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]