Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roy "Multi" Aldrich roadster found?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Any more up dates....getting hungry for more pics

The T is one of my favorite cars of all time...and the subject of one of my paintings!

[​IMG]

2. slang250

slang250
    from Mass

Hello Everyone, We have been making slow progress with the rebuild. We have tracked down the original head and the side cover from past owners. Our next step is to get the head back to working shape. Multi did a lot of work to the head to get some more speed out of it. In the photos the top head is what I think is a untouched head the bottom is the Aldrich.

[​IMG]

He decked the head 3/16” to 1/4” which you can see how the bottom web under the spark plug holes are gone now. He also ported and polished the intake a lot. Top one is 2 3/8” diameter in the ports, the Aldrich is 2 3/4”

[​IMG]

Because it was deck so much he sunk the valves into the head for clearance and took out some materiel on the top of the chamber around the ports to keep it flowing.

[​IMG]

He also drilled out the other side for the dual ignition.

[​IMG]

We also found this side cover that covered the ports and the valve chamber on the block, we haven't see one like this before but you can see it in the photo of the car inside the first indoor hot rod show. Here is a blow up of it.

[​IMG]

We will keep up the progress, slowly going. Sorry I don't keep update more often. Steve

3. WOW that's alot of shaving! If I remember correctly, some of those heads came drilled for dual plugs.

4. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Thanks for the update, Steve!

-Dave

5. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends what model they have, a "BB" Rajo, came drilled for dual plugs. But i think the B had the casting bosses in place any ways.

6. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thank you! Can't wait to see more.

7. rat pup

rat pup
    from houston

great post, very kool pictures

8. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

What kind of machines/tools did Aldrich have to mill the head, enlarge the ports and fit the second set of plugs?

9. You are correct. The BBR Rajo head came drilled for 8 plugs.

10. Thanks, that update made my day

11. RussTee

RussTee

hope progress is being made on this most important of cars

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great to know things are moving along, finding the original head and side cover is really great news. Maybe it is the angle of the photo, but are both heads the same? One casting looks slightly different. Was there a 1926-27 RAJO head with firewall clearance that the earlier heads didn't have?

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. RussTee

RussTee

that would be an interesting head all heads I have found needed the fire wall relieved

14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

It appears Don Lang has joined the HAMB.

I hope he will keep us informed on the restoration of Multy's car as it progresses.

-Dave

15. Great news on finding the head! I brought Multi's original 90 MPH plaque to Hershey this year to show you guys. You were not in the booth due to it being the 1st day. I'm sure you were off looking at parts. I checked back again, and still nobody. This was the 1st year I was only there for a day. We'll catch up again. Good luck, keep us posted please.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

ONE day at Hershey! That explains why I didn't see you Mel. Got my paperwork for 2012 a week ago, it will be here before we know it. Checking out a tip on T parts this weekend. Bob:D

17. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

My BBR was milled the same way....
    [​IMG]

18. RussTee

RussTee

Hows progress on yours Zack? Keep us informed plenty of potental in that motor and its true period

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

No progress for me... other priorities unfortunately....

20. RussTee

RussTee

Its the right car with the right guy wish we could see some recent pictures of its progress?

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

What's taking so long? Need a good place to get T parts?

22. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

Hi guys! Like most Bonneville guys, I had known Multi for many years, even visited his shop a time or two, with Dan Iandola. Dan is the reason that I have signed on at this time. He has been in and out of the hospital with an infected fake knee. They are trying to build up his strength so they can operate on it. Dan recently turned 80. Another name that has appeared on this post is Julian Doty, news on him is very bad. Julian is about 90 years old and has been given only a few months to live. He recently gave me his AA flatbed, and at that time was looking poorly but was able to drive the forklift that we used to set the AA onto the trailer. I rarely go on this site but can be reached by clicking on my name and leaving a message. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

23. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

That is very unfortunate. Thank you for the news, though.

24. Willard Partch

Willard Partch

Jim Miller on The American Hot Rod Foundation site reported Julian Doty passed this week at age 90.

25. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Any updates on the T?

26. T Parts

T Parts

27. Cool car, great stories and memories of a wonderful guy. I love reasding about this sort of stuff on here, some stories make you, sad, mad and most of all glad you read them. I wish I could have met ya Multy..

28. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

MrModelT likes this.
  29. Things that make you go, "hmmm", Dave- things that make you go, "hmmm" :D