Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Beginnings to a Banger Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model A Fan, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

So, recently I bought some carburetors and a new intake. I am planning on building up a hopped up Model A engine in my roadster. Now I need a high compression head! Maybe a finned head? Any ideas for performance parts? :D

Here are some pictures of what I am working with!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Winfield head maybe?

3. A tub

A tub

check out HandH flatheads they are doing stuff for these, everything u can dream of

the lyons heads are nice, slightly finned, look good and work great

4. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Looked at H and H, but their Model A catalog is not online. Winfield head sounds good, as does a Lyons head. Something finned would be pretty cool.

5. A tub

A tub

yes winfield would be nice, email them and get them to send u a catalog or , something with info on it for these, or give em a call, when i bought my heads for my 8ba they sent me one and i was very impressed with what they do with these bangers and the amount of stuff they had for em, unfortunately i dont have the catalogue anymore as i gave it to a mate whom had an A with a banger in it, sorry:D

6. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

CHeck out F.A.S.T they will have some contact info there. Good luck hunting. By the way, you have one too many carbs, and I would be glad to take the extra one from you.

7. Go for it! There are alot of used heads out there. Several "repo". Find as much info as you can before you buy.
    I have run the Lion III head with good results.
    Secret of Speed Society has good info. also F.A.S.T.
    Don't forget our very oun "Banger group" on here!

8. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Sounds like you already know what you want..........

9. Juggler

Juggler

Oh yes it is...

http://www.handhantique.com/speed/speed.html

Cheers

Juggs

10. I like the look of the Thomas head the best. Sacramento Ford Parts used to sell them but I cannot find them in their on line catalog. (888) 482-3444, vintageford.com
    Charlie Stephens

11. A Rodder

A Rodder

When researching for my Banger, generally those with more experience say that more than about 6.5 to one C.R. on the head will make the stock bottom end go out sooner than you may hope.

This is not my experience though, just what others said.

I am running a Simmons Super Power Head and believe it is 6.1 to 1.

I did this with a FS distributor, Downdraft intake topped with a single 97 by none other than our very own BC Chopit, and a header by Matt at Geardrive.

It makes a ton of difference, but I did it all at once so I can't say which ones was more impactfull.

GOOD LUCK, Very cool project!

12. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Thanks for the info guys, I feel as though I am an infant trying to run a marathon. Have a bit of growing and learning to do beforehand.

Thanks for the info, I haven't seen a Simmons head, so maybe I will look at something like that. I followed your chopped coupe with great interest and pretty much got the idea for a hopped up engine from your coupe. Love the color combo, it looks really mean. It looks like you are friends with Elmitcheristo, I bought a former project from him. His coupe and yours are quite inspirational for my projects. :D

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Zendog, here on the HAMB has a Lyon Speed Head for sale. New and never bolted on. It is serial #1 which he seems to think is good but doesn't know why. nether do i.

14. gregga

gregga