Register now to get rid of these ads!

Diving Off the Deep End: My 1956 Buick Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3spd, Sep 22, 2009.

1. 3spd

3spd

The engine turns over pretty quickly. Not as fast as a new car but fast enough I think. Not sure how fast it is supposed to turn over.

How does one check the voltage to the coil?

Thanks,
    Ryland

2. sic944t

sic944t
    from ohio

you must make sure your at tdc timing is crucial !!!!!!!!!!!
    pop out the number one cylinder plug if your in doubt remove the valve cover put a screw driver or some thing in the hole manually turn it over till it at the top this will be remember
    suck, squish, bang, blow, both valves will be closed when it tops out as it should be reaching full compression make sure the factory marks are correct i pissed with my 55 ford for 3 days cause i trusted incorrect factory marks i would say set your timing at 15 before tdc use some starting fluid its a magic sauce with correct timing you dont even need a carb too make some motors fire just some starting fluid
    it seems like you replaced everything and if you got a back fire there is spark
    you must fully and correctly understand how to put in a distributor and time a car with the ignition on you can remove the number one cylinder plug wire and manually turn over the car it will spark when the points break i find this useful too see if your close on timing if you see a spark a few degrees before TDC you know your not far off and you can allways pull the wire and ground an extra plug anywhere too check for spark
    this is awesome your making great progress good luck brother

also i didnt read this fully but if your sure everything is great do a compression check a bent valve, blown head gasket, or any other problem could keep it from running
    starting fluid will sometimes kick over a motor that wont run on gas like on that is oil fouled or just totally beat out
    assumeing your motor is happy once its kicked over and blasted out the cob webs gas a good carb and a happy starting system will work perfectly also rev it a few times like say 800 too 1800 rpms if it sounds healthy that can help shake loose any stuck parts motors ran at a constant rpm are unhappy a few revs could open up any sludge stuck lifters tick tockers and under oiled crud dont beat on it but once it runns give the throttle a few good blips

3. sic944t

sic944t
    from ohio

also do not leave your ignition on for long with out it turning or running you can melt your points !!!!

4. spasecadet

spasecadet
    from PDX

To check the voltage at the coil, you will need a volt meter (set to DC) and a wiring diagram of the car. (Sorry I don't remember if you mention having a wiring diagram earlier in the thread.) Turn the ignition on and check the voltage between the 'Bat' terminal on the coil (power coming from the ignition switch) and a good ground on the body. You should get something close to battery voltage. Check the wiring diagram if it isn't clear how the coil is wired.

If the car has a ballast resister, the voltage at the Bat terminal on the coil will be battery voltage minus voltage dropped across the ballast resistor. If your car has a ballast resistor, after you check the voltage at the Bat terminal on the coil, check the voltage from one terminal on the ballast resistor to the other. Add this to the reading you got at the Bat terminal on the coil. Those two numbers added together should be approximately battery voltage.

Hope that helps.

5. 3spd

3spd

My friend (Lamplighter) has been trying to make it over to give me a hand so I have been waiting for him to come look at it before I mess with it more.

Spacecadet: Thanks, Ill give that a try.

Thanks,
    Ryland

6. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Ryland,
    Have you done a compression check to make sure that the valves are sealing and the rings aren't shot?

7. 3spd

3spd

I have not yet. Assume it has good compression but my friend is going to bring over his compression gauge hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Ryland

8. 3spd

3spd

After going through a major ordeal to get the engine running as seen here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7053510#post7053510

I drove my Buick for the first time today! I bought it almost 2 years ago and today was my first drive. Just up and down the street but man did it feel good.

Ill post a video later.

Thanks you everyone for helping me get to this point. I couldn't have done it without you!

Ryland

9. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Yeah Boy! good for you!
    Don't ever give up, you're on your way now!

10. 3spd

3spd

11. Griznant

Griznant

Yeah, it needs work, but it runs, moves, and stops! That's more than my '54 has done and I've had it for almost two years too.

Keep it up!

12. Lamplighter

Lamplighter

That's rad Ryland! You've put in such an incredible amount of work into that Buick, you should be proud. You shouldn't take for granted the skills you've learned, you're waaaaay ahead of the game for what, nineteen?

13. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Nice work, nothin better than the first trip around the block. That video is great. Looks like you had a rough time keeping it running at first.

Your doin a great job at it. Makes me wish I would have bought it first.
    What is your next step? Body work?
    You need to get floors in that thing!!

14. 3spd

3spd

Thanks Damon!

I think shifting was more the problem, I think I was either getting putting it in 3rd or 1st and 3rd at the same time. The shifting is a little vague but with some practice I should be able to get the hang of it.

I think I am going to tune the engine a little bit and adjust the brakes, then do the floors.

Thanks,
    Ryland

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  15. spasecadet

spasecadet
    from PDX

Congrats! The first drive is always a milestone.

I suggest installing something a little more permanent to hold the radiator :D

~Spasecadet

16. snowman

snowman

Nice job! I just picked up another Buick, this time a '56 Roadmaster. I'm in Portland and if ya ever need a hand with anything or a connection to parts, let me know.

17. OlSchoolCruizin

OlSchoolCruizin
    from Tampa, fl

Man this is a cool thread and sweet ride. That video was awesome too! Nothing like the first drive after lots of work. I am in the process of buying a 56 century 2dr right now so I'm about to be in the buick club too. This is definitely inspiring. Keep at it man.

18. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right on Ryland!! In proud of you bro.

19. 3spd

3spd

Thank you for all the kind words. I haven't had a chance to work on it yet but I did put a corrugated metal roof where the tarp was to cover my Buick.

I'll update you guys as I get things done.

Ryland

20. Cub8556

Cub8556

Hey man just checking in to see how the wagon is going. I bet with it running now your tearing up the local streets. Keep up the great work

21. snowman

snowman

Any updates Ryland?

22. 3spd

3spd

Here is an update for you all:

I got my first full time job over the summer working at a steel casting company and I had problems with my daily driver so not much happened with the Buick over the summer. However I did get a house closer to where I go to school and it has a garage, a 15ft deep single car garage that is. To get it in I pulled the front clip, rear bumper, and tail lights. Man that was a pain. Trailerd the car over and drove it into the garage. Getting the car off the trailer one of the front brake line fittings started leaking like a sieve so that made it a little more interesting. But I got it to fit in the garage!

A semi-local guy parted out a 56 special so I got some parts off it; front bumper, grill, hood, radiator support, and splash pan. They aren't perfect but they are 10 times better than what I had.

I also tore down the original 322 and is in amazingly good shape for how bad of shape it was in... if that makes any sense. All the bolts came out really easy so I was a little concerned. Turns out the engine was rebuilt at one point and got a .030 overbore and balanced at least. Where the bores weren't rusted from the water sitting in them they looked pretty good and there was no discernible ridge at the top of the cylinders. I pulled a main and the bearing had some pitting but the journal looked pretty good. I figure I will leave it with some atf/diesel in the cylinders (for the next year or so) and see if I can get it to free up.

Next I plan on making a reverse swing master cylinder/pedal mount and convert the car over to dual circuit brakes then address the floors. Hopefully I will get something done on the car before summer but I am a full time student, I work part time, I am a member of a race team (chump car), have a girlfriend, and need to sleep sometimes.

Hopefully updates soon;

Ryland

23. mattmartin

mattmartin

24. joecactus

joecactus
    from calgary

cool car and cool thread. i just picked up a 56 special 2 door hardtop im about to dive into. keep us updated and let us know about any progress, good luck

25. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

Any updates?.....:)

26. 3spd

3spd

I got the parts for my revesrse swing master cylinder mount cut out. Cleaned up the spot of the firewall and looks like it should fit nicely. Now I just have to pick up a bit of tube stock and a few more bolts and finish welding it together.

Between school and work I am really strapped for time. Winter break is coming up so hopefully more updates then.

Ryland

27. WOW i thought i had project with the 1956 buick special wagon i just bought.I t was in storage for 20 years.Got her up and running and the brakes working but the auto trans has a front seal leaking bad.but to pull the trans you have to pull the whole rear end due to the solid tourgh tube. Boy thats gonna be a few beers.lol.Bruce.

28. 3spd

3spd

You should be able to drop the trans by itself without pulling the rear end. Hopefully someone else will chime in on this. If I remember right there are like 5 bolts on the ball joint at the tailshaft of the transmission, undo the 4(?) bolts on the pressure plate and the bell housing bolts, jack up the back of the car and put a ratchet strap on the rear end and the bumper and ratchet it back until the splines come out of the back of the trans. I'd pull the engine and trans as a unit and split them out of the car though.

Ryland

29. 3spd

3spd

Well things are going slow but they are going. I purchased a sedan roof and good set of stock wheels. The sedan roof matches the wagon roof to about 3" past the B pillar, I will still have patching to do aft of the new roof section but it will be a good start. The bummer is the big whole in the roof and the bad pitting start just beyond where the sedan roof ends.

What I am working on right now is the brakes; I've got the dual reservoir mater/pedal setup nearly done, I've just got to trim down two bushings and get a rod end and I am good to go. Then the next step is running lines. The master will be under the dash so first order of business is to get from the master to the firewall. I am going to get a pair of soft lines made that go from inverted flare male to inverted flare female. After that is done I have to run a new hard line to the front and rear and I will had dual circiut brakes. Then the roof is next I think... I'm a little aprehensive about that one.

Pictures to come...

Ryland

30. db300

db300

Not sure if you know about it, but the Portland Transmision Show is this Sat..11th-ish And Hawthorn. This is the unofficial show that kicks off the season here in Portland. Blocks and blocks of great cars. Get there early to get'm driving in. It's my favorite local show.

Love the thread....you give me hope on my old Chrysler!