Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Just drove 2400 miles in 2 days for an old kustom (pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fatty mcguire, Sep 23, 2012.

1. GREAT SCORE!!!! I remember seeing that car in a magazine or two(I think it was Custom Cars the little book).I'll have to see if I have that issue.

2. carkiller

carkiller

That car was built in Omaha by Whirl Jones. The car was cleaned up and repainted several years ago by Mike Brown. Last i knew the stock taillights are still in that car behind the chrysler tail lights. Glad to see its still around. Cal

3. Was it me, with that mouth on the front of it, I'd be tempted to put a Studebaker 289 in and call it a Hawk-Vette or something like that.

4. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

5. Movinman

Movinman

Nice score, Mikey. I'm digging it for some reason. I will figure out why sooner or later. :D

6. Ya the homos invaded and ruined the Harley scene as well!!! Pisses me off!

7. John Lafayette

John Lafayette

The more I stare at it the better it gets. Hope to see it in real life.

8. the other me

the other me

I hope 333 Half Evil sees this and chimes in, He used to have an 85 vette that he was building a 200mph street car out of, and I'm here to tell you he drove that thing harder than most any race car I've ever see driven!!! He had came down by my place one weekend with his wife to visit, he asked me if I'd like to drive it and see what I thought. Well hell yeah I'm gonna drive it. Well after what I thought giving it a pretty good thrashing, Al told me to pull over and he'd show me how to drive!!!

I'm here to tell you, his door didn't even get latched and it was wide open, side-step the clutch and round and round we went. I'm not sure how many donughts we spun on take off, but coming out of them he did 3 figure 8's and then proceeded to get it straightened out and he didn't lift until we was runnin 7000 rpm in high gear!!! When he eased it down to a somewhat cruisin speed, he looked at me and said that's how you drive one of these!!!

He proceeded to tell me stories of people calling him all sorts of names and shit because of how he drove and treated that vette....his responce was always the same, I built it, I'll beat it, if it's americas sports car then it should be driven hard. I tell ya, that was one of the funnest, scariest rides I've ever taken, and it still makes me laugh when I think of it!!!

Sorry bout the high-jack....

I think this one is definiatly different, in a good way. Can't wait to see it with the new wheels and tires. Congrats on your new custom.

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

10. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I love the back and sides, but I can't decide how I feel about the front. Grill just seems too wide. Still digging it though, congrats!

11. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

I'm a 'vette nut, and don't particularly care for the "Studebaker/flathead catfish" grill...but it's really cool to see how people customized these cars when they were nothing more than a used car, not the priceless artifacts you find now.
    I'd take one in any condition, but I'll have to win the lottery to afford one. :D
    Cool find. Drive the wheels off of it.

12. spiders web

spiders web

Yes those would be the ones. Easy to spot in restroom also as they are the ones with the triple jointed needle nose pliers to get there small member to the front of there draws so as not to wet there pants.<label for="rb_iconid_10">[​IMG]</label>

13. cobra_4

cobra_4

I like it!!! Ugly as hell but still sweet lol! Be nice if you could find a fuelly motor to go back in it without selling off the farm to buy it!

14. thesupersized

thesupersized

When are us royal masters going to start be reproduced?!?!?!

15. Cool car! congrats..

16. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Very cool. And of course we all know the difference between a porcupine and a corvette....
    the porcupine has the pricks on the outside. Old & corny but.....

17. sumner41

sumner41

it works for me. But most important is it works for you. years back,i was building a 60 impala lowrider. Guy at work kept saying what he would do. I told him "when you own and fund it,you can have it anyway you like". The reason they are called customs is because they are done they way YOU like,not someone elses way and therefore are different than anyone elses

18. Squablow

Squablow

Interesting that the steering wheel original to the build looks like an Impala wheel but with the horn bar cut off? That should be easy enough to replace. I like the plan for chrome reverse wheels, is that what the car had in it's original build? Any old pics that show the wheels that were on it?

Also, what do the current seats and door panels look like? Would a gold/white dye job make them look like the show pics without having to reupholster?

I like that this car is in the hands of someone who appreciates what it is and will put it back to the way it was originally built, or at least, as close as is reasonable.

19. Squablow

Squablow

Also appears to have Lucas Flamethrower high beam bulbs in the old pics. They're still available new, apparently.

20. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

Yes for the record im by far not a corvette guy lol, its definitely 1 car I thought I would never own for one because if it was original and restored it would be a $100,000 car and 2 I never was into corvette's although I never hated them, like i said I was looking for a 58 impala and randomly this came up. Some of you guys read my mind I plan on taking it to corvette carisle and other corvette shows to see their reactions lol

21. That puppy is just crying for a hemi or a big block ford tripower engine. That would really get the Vette freaks cranked up. Locally we had a used car dealer that used to race a 53-4-5 Corvette with a 406 Ford in it. Really pissed off the purists.

22. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Cool history.

Hope you put bias plies on it when you change the tires.

23. Road Dog Denair

Road Dog Denair

That car is bad to the bone. Somebody put a lot of time and effort into it. Can't wait to see it on the road. Drive the hell out of it and watch the Vette guys freak out.

24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

When Mike from Council Bluffs, across the river from Omaha sold the car roughly 15 years ago, a Corvette guy was gonna return it back to original. Luckily, the new owner for the most part, just let it sit. It`s condition went down hill, then Mike bought it back and repainted it. Mike used to have a 51 Ford painted the same color as the Vette with scallopes, a rocket Olds motor with 3 duces. I believe it went back east also. Ithought I saw it in a crowd of cars in Street Rodder. I also heard the rummor about the stock taillights. Congradulations on your new ride.

25. teddyp

teddyp

good luck with it mike it will be a change to see you in a vette have fun with

26. mj40's

mj40's

I understand what you are saying. When I get ready to go to a function, I will pick out a cool T-shirt to wear. Soon after my wife will show up wearing the same shirt. I just excuse myself just before we leave and put on the one I really wanted to wear so we don't look alike. ;)

27. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

thanks teddy, and that was the idea it was time for a change and something totaly different

28. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

"Somebody put a lot of time and effort into it." To me, this statement is what hot rods are all about, whether you or I like the outcome or not. Would I built it? No. But to me, it is a true "period correct" and "traditional" custom of the time. Did you get the throphy with it? Now....that would be cool.

29. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

I like it a lot! Can't wait to see it on the road or maybe The Whiskey on a Saturday night next summer?

30. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Yeah Mikey. Fuck yeah. Cant wait to see it.
    Slim