Register now to get rid of these ads!

1931 Ford sport coupe / roadster build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodored, May 8, 2011.

1. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Thank you my Brothers for the encouragement! Hopefully we will be on the road this year.

2. MalibuKasey

MalibuKasey

I didnt realize what you started with! NICE work!!

3. Blackie

Blackie

No one has addressed the issue of using a sport coupe rear section with roadster doors shortens the entire length of the body. I like the 2" reverse section a la "The Green Grenade" but from a design perspective I wonder if the rear needs to be lengthened to make up the difference between sport coupe and roadster doors. Any thoughts?

Sent from a pay phone

4. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

If I'm not mistaken, Curt did leave the body shortened through the use of roadster doors and coupe quarters and left the quarters in their stock position on the frame, keeping the wheel centered in the wheel opening of the body. While Curt's body, in theory, is shorter than an A body, he did manage to find a hood long enough to take up the extra space left in the engine bay from the cowl moving back to mate up to the quarters. He could have lengthened the doors but I like how he was able to make it all work together nicely.

5. brady1929

brady1929

6. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

We've been talking about this car on a different thread. Nice to see it all come together. Very cool car, and some great ideas. The added interior room is a definite plus on these A models. Mine is TIGHT on room.

The hood looks perfect, now.

7. Blackie

Blackie

When I first saw this thread I just assumed that the rear section would be lengthened and was surprised to see that it wasn't.

My point is that if you shorten the body it will amplify the proportions of the added 2" section to the body. In some of the images the proportions seem weird and I think its do to the shorter body.

I also realize that its hard to make opinions from pictures and I would love to see this car in person. It's a great idea and is turning out very nice!

8. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I think leaving the body short with the reverse section makes it look even taller which adds even more of a thirty two look to the car. Blackie, you're right about pictures and in person. It does look really nice in person. Curt has a great eye for style and is doing a bang up job. I can't wait to see it rolling!

9. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

I think that you are exactly correct when you talk about the body length being short - It is about 4 inches so. But the irony of it all is that I have the leg room of a coupe in a body that is actually shorter. The secret is in the upper deck lid panel. The sport coupe is actually much shorter.

When I put the car together, I actually did it opposite to the way its done most often - I made the frame fit the body rather than the other way around. The frame is actually pinched both front and rear, but its difficult to decern just glancing at it. After centering the axle on the kick ups for the '32 frame, and then centering the axle with the rear body wheel well, the cowl actually came up quite short when compared to a standard '32. The frame brow is a little forward of the front cowl edge. With the cowl patch panels angled up and the body channled over the frame rails about one inch, its hard to see the difference. Where the size discrepency shows up is on the hood sides next to the grill shell. It looks a little long on the part in front of the louvers, but only when compared to the standard Model A hood.

I intend to further the confusion by lengthening the stainless cowl band and running the stock Model A gas filler cap. Overall the differences are subtle, but wait until its parked next to a stock '31 roadster

10. Blackie

Blackie

Thanks for the explanation Curt. I wasn't bagging on the build at all just want to get your perspective on the decision. Great build....

Sent from a pay phone

11. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Hey Blackie,

I truly appreciate your input. Always like to get some perspective from other builders so I am not trapped by my own opinions.

12. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

When one has a good plan as you do, it's good to be trapped by your own opinions and not be influenced by outside forces.

13. ArchangelKustom

ArchangelKustom
    from NR/OH

Curt - are you going to add a body line to the hood, to continue the belt line from the cowl? As it sits now that's the only thing that looks out of place to my eye - the belt line just ends at a flat hood side.

The proportions look great. It has the look of a bentley speedster or a coachbuilt stutz

14. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

I have thought about that and after playing with some cardboard cut outs, and I concluded that the belt line on the hood makes it look too busy. The hinge point for the hood is only inches away, so it looks a little like an accordian. (Take a look at the factory model A hood and see what I mean) Too bad the Packard hood didn't hinge at that line like the '32 hood does.

I am going to run the belt like at the bottom of the hood, so that should help with the proportions. Maybe a double pin stripe on the hood tops?

Attached Files:

15. englands54

englands54

VERY NICE JOB AND WONDERFUL VISION..Like what you did with the hood and the extra inches to the body.WAY TO GO..LOOKS FANTASTIC.

16. This project is looking way cool !!!!!

Frenchy

17. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

About time this came back up. I know you've been messing with it. How about some new pics?

18. Gigantor

Gigantor

Bump and SUBSCRIBED!

Last week, a new HAMBer friend suggested I use sport coupe quarters on my roadster to add some much needed interior space. And he also made me a killer deal to boot on a pair I can blend with what I've got to work with. I can't thank him enough.

At 6'10", having the potential to find an extra 6 or 7 inches of leg room is a HUGE game changer for my enjoyment of the car. This thread only fans the flames of what can be done. And your car is Suh-weet.

19. sirhc

sirhc
    from Boise, ID

Great car. I saw you said you were going to be running a vega box - is it installed yet? I'd be curious to see how it fits...

Thanks!

20. draider

draider
    from Texas

Great looking roadster. Any updates?

21. Retroline

Retroline

Good to see this back up, I like how its coming along, keep at it!!

22. brady1929

brady1929

23. ravedodger

ravedodger

Great build. I saw this while back and totally forgot about it. Looking forward to updates as well.

24. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

your car is coming along great,when i got this car i tought it was built from a coupe, but later figured out why it looked so right, it is built from a sport coupe 30, here is a few photo's

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  25. leakyboatlouie

leakyboatlouie

what kind of green paint is that on the wheels?

26. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Time for an update. I have finished the floors and firewall, steering and suspension is installed. Steering column has been shortened and body is almost ready to come off frame to finish out chassis.

Floors were hammered out by hand and shaped to the contour of the firewall. Still have to bead roll the floor pan under the seat to prevent oil canning. The firewall did not have to be cut. Mechanical fan is 1 inch away from surface of radiator cooling fins, so should be good without a shroud.

Attached Files:

27. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Cool '40s turn signal was found at auto fair.

Attached Files:

28. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Wheels are painted with Ford Flathead green engine paint from Dennis Carpenter. Its brush on paint.

29. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Your car is sweet! What a good look.

30. sirhc

sirhc
    from Boise, ID

Looking good!