Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wirring on a 1960 f100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, Sep 21, 2012.

1. I am contemplating on completely rewirring my f100 but I would really like to keep the factory style wirring and not some generic aftermarket kit. I noticed where the harness plugs together at the firewall on the drivers side near the master cylinder its a rectangular plug. I am running all actual working gauges(not dummy or idiot lights) from a bigger f-series truck of the same year with air pressure gauge and a tach. I'm not sure if I want to go with an alternator or keep the generator? Who makes new harnesses for this year?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  2. No info at all? No fridge guys anymore?

3. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Check LMC and Dennis Carpenter for harnesses. Don't know if they keel whirring harnesses, but they should be able to help you on wiring harnesses.
    Like to see what the amps and oil gauges look like from the bigger trucks. I am installing amps and oil gauges (from 61 Furd) in my 57 F-100 instrument panel. Would like to get the amps and oil silkscreened into the bezel like the fuel and temp gauges are.

4. I actually posted pics of the gauge cluster in my build thread.

5. Nobody makes a new harness for a '60 f100. The harness changed after 59, and again I think in 61. The '60 harness, being a one-year deal, is just not reproduced.
    Every so often I see an NOS harness pop up on e-pay, but even with that you're working with 50 year old wires.
    I'm not sure but I suspect you could adapt a '59 harness and make it fit. Other than that your only choice will be an aftermarket wire kit, or you can buy the required lengths and colors of wires and try to replicate the original harness yourself.

6. This is what I mean...If I bought an aftermarket harness wouldnt I have to weld up the square hold for this original wirring?
    [​IMG]

7. Well that's one option. Or you could just scrounge up some rubber and fabricate a square grommet.

8. If you do go with a 59 harness, I think you might have to change the headlight switch to an earlier switch as well. It's another one-year-only deal.

9. Yeah..I am trying to keep most of the truck just stock and drop it. Anyone out there with a 60 nd experienced this? Or possibly point me in the right direction?

10. ask the guys on the FTE site.

11. I beat you to it :eek: 60 views and no reply yet.

12. Well I have got a few responses on the FTE website but all are saying to go with a universal harness. If I do then I will have two rectangular holes in the firewall where the harness plugged in at. What can or should be done?

13. So I went on the FTE website aswell...I havebt got much help either way. Has anyone here re-wired their 60? And what harness did you use also what did you do about the two plugs in the picture above?

14. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

aren't those fire wall plugs just double sided for those bullet connectors?if so,you could put bullet males on your new wires,then either plug in separatly or molod them into urethane or silicone.check mac's for similiar plugs

15. Well the things is that I wanted to keep the stock location of those plugs but I'm not too sure what all goes through each one..

16. Beat2Hell

Beat2Hell
    from So. Cal

Hey man, what's going on with your current setup? Really hacked up? I don't know Fords too well, do those trucks have fuse a box? Since you're in Socal, how about you, me, a wiring diamgram, and a bunch of wire and beer?:D
    I've rewired a couple of old Dodges by just copying the diagrams to make my own harness. You might find a harness in a junkyard somewhere... I've seen a couple of those recently but I don't know if they were '60s. On a side note '60s are bad ass my friend has one with a 292 and 3 spd on the column. It's been sitting since the trans went out a few yrs ago and I've been trying to get him interested to get in on the road again.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  17. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

well the only way to know what each one is is either test light,or schematic,or both.good luck.

18. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

19. grapp

grapp

as crazy as it sounds they look just like 65 mustang harnesses. You might want to check out an early mustang wiring diagram and see how close it is...

20. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

21. Still not having any luck with this harness. There has to be somone out there with a 60 f100....This year is totally the bastard child of f100's.

22. Can somebody post a picture of a 1959 f100 firewall and stock harnes?