Register now to get rid of these ads!

frame z-ing question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SledKicker, Sep 23, 2012.

1. SledKicker

SledKicker

I've been researching frame z-ing as i'm about to start my frist frame modification ever. It's a 30 model a tudor if it matters.

My question is, when z-ing a frame, you obviously lose overall length, right? isn't this important? Unless i understand this completely wrong, you cut at a 45 degree angle, and flip the piece of metal to raise/lower the section in front or behind the cuts. How does the length you lost not matter or are people adding more metal in to make up for it?

2. -Brent-

-Brent-

3. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

when I did mine I used 3/16 flat steel and made plates that overlap the frame and boxed it at the same time. Made templates from cardboard then I cut them out of the flat stock and welded over my existing frame and then cut the old frame rail out. The back half of my car is far stronger than the original frame rails.
    [​IMG]

4. SledKicker

SledKicker

Ok thanks guys

5. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

Heres how I zeed the frame for my 37 pickup. Did not loose any length. Dropped the cab 6" with out sacrificing leg room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Only if you do it wrong.

7. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

The way EZ Cool did it is the way I did mine back in the 50s only mine were fish plated inside and outside,I'm also doing my Dodge pickup that way now.

8. SledKicker

SledKicker

i think im going to do it like that with mine. thanks fellas!

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'Cept that's not a Zee. That's a step-notch.