Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 Chevelle to 64 GTO Windshield interchange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kwoodyh, Sep 23, 2012.

1. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Will a 1964 Chevelle (4 door) windshield fit a 64 GTO? I know it should be simple, A body GM to A body GM but you never know.

2. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

I'm thinkin they'll interchange.

3. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I'm pretty sure a windshield for a four door car will be different. All A-body intermediate GM cars of that era used the same window glass for a given body style - you need glass from a two door hardtop or sedan, depending on which GTO you have.

A new windshield, without scratches or pits, is only $99 from Auto City Classic. http://www.autocityclassic.com/

4. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

5. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

I don't think they will. The 64 GTO will interchange with a 64/65 Olds 442
    and 67 Chevelle. The 64 Chevelle is a smaller car.

6. oldolds

oldolds

Usually GM interchange is hardtop 4 or 2 door. Sedan 4 or 2 door. Within like series of cars. So if your GTO should be the same as Chevelle, Skylark, Lemans and Cutlass bodied cars.
    Haven't bought one of those for a few years, but they used to be one of the cheapest windshields to buy new. The fit a lot if cars. They are getting older no so they may not be cheap any more. I would guess the walk out price at glass shop should be less than $135

7. what they said....the great news is that they are available new now at a resonable price - someone here on the HAMB is a vender - just not sure...do a search

8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

According to a Chevrolet interchange manual I have, they will interchange. It starts to get messy when you get into the 66-67 cars and varies per body style.

kevin45 likes this.
  9. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

this got me curious so i poked around on the web (so it has to be true)...
    this is what I found ,clear as mud?

"The hardest interchange of the windshield is complex, which included different models and bodystyles. This is a breakdown of the body styles that a windshield will interchange:
    1964/65 A-body hardtops are interchangeable with the following:

1964-67 El Camino
    all A-body Station Wagons, sedans, and 2-door pillared coupes exc. 1966/67 Lemans pillared coupe
    1966/67 2-door hardtops (including the 1966/67 Pontiac Lemans and Buick Special post coupe) used the same windshield assembly

The 1968-72 hardtops and convertibles used the same windshield assembly with one other note:

1970-72 windshields incorporate an integrated antenna in the windshield.
    The windshield from the El Camino and 2-door pillared coupe will fall into the same category with the hardtop and convertible.
    *One warning: a 4-door A-body windshield, which is also a station wagon part, will not interchange with the hardtop, which is 1" taller.

10. waterhorse

waterhorse

Just FYI, I installed 64 Pontiac LeMans station wagon windshield SS trim on my 65 ElCamino. Perfect fit.

11. If your GTO is a post car, it will fit.

If your GTO is a hardtop or convertible you'll need one out of another hardtop or convertible '64 & '65 only.

The post models are the same in wagons, 4 doors, 2 door post and El Camino from '64 - '67.

And yes, ALL GM "A" bodies are the same. No difference between Olds, Buick, Chevy or Pontiac.

12. Squablow

Squablow

A lot of conflicting info here, and I'll go ahead and add some more, but in the 64-65 range, I believe convertibles have one windshield and all the hardtops and sedans share another. I don't believe there is a difference between post and hardtop models for the windshield glass.

kevin45 likes this.
  13. 47 years in the glass business I can read an interchange chart

1964-5 chevelle, El Camino, pontiac/GTO, Olds f 85/ cutlass, Buick skylark special
    all cars, wagons, convertible, 4 door, 2door, all take one windshield DW-649 they have always been available from any glass shop in America amnd are very cheap save the shipping expense and buy local..........Jim

some of the confusion might come from the same cars in 1966-67 some use the DW-649 and others use a dw-670 but all 64-65's are one windshield only

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012