Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kirker Urethane Primers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlowandLow63, Jul 17, 2009.

1. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Negative. Its in my hot little hand but I haven't made the progress on my car I had hoped to. Sometime this week or wknd though. I'll be sure to let you guys all know, I promise!

2. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I sprayed some tonight finally!!

So far I'm impressed. I'm using the high build urethane and after shaking it, I poured some into a mixing cup and man this stuff is thick. I was a little nervous that my 1.6 primer tip wouldn't handle it. But it did, and it flowed nicely as well. It covered in one coat, filled 36 grit scratches in 2 and evened everything out in 3. It flashes quick and doesn't soak into filler all that much. We'll see how much it shrinks in the coming weeks.

Unfortunately, I won't be sanding this for quite some time as I need to get going on some customer cars. When I block it I'll be sure to give a full report.

3. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

What gun did you use with this? I sprayed the new PPG hi fill primer last week-end and couldn't keep the gun clean even with a 2 MM tip.

4. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Sata KLC RP with a 1.6. Its all about gun adjustments man.

5. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

I used an old Husky gun, kept drying out at the atomizer. Any suggestions as I still have to spray the cab.
    Thanks

6. Try a slower (Higher temp range) reducer.
    What size pattern were you shooting?

7. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

I didn't use a reducer, only the hardener as this is supposed to be the latest high fill primer. I shot this while it was in the high 90's and am wondering if I should have reduced the hardener (PPG recommends 4:1)
    I wanted to shoot a 4 inch pattern but actually shot blotches!

8. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

They high 90's didn't help at all. In that heat I'd use a reducer, even though it kind of defeats the purpose of the high fill a little bit. Bump the pressure up a tad and keep your pattern tight. Make sure the gun is clean as well. Good luck!

9. I'm shooting it with a Sharpe Finex, 1.5mm tip. No ploblems at all. Todd

10. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

You may have to resort to some '' moonlite '' work i.e. at night or early in the a.m. hours when shop temptures are a little more ideal. Trying to shoot paint products with the temp above 80+ usually is a loosing game. With ''Hi-Fill'' primers, as with most paint products, you want a full 50% overlap on your spray pass with no dry areas.

I hope you are using a well-fitting/correct spray mask with that hardener mixed primer!

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"

11. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

I did get a chance to sand the panels I had "blotched" and I have to say this is great stuff, really made a nice smooth panel! For those of you as old as I am and can still remember "Snow White" and haven't used any of the new products what a difference! I can't say I enjoy the body work but it sure is a lot better than it used to be.
    As for shooting the cab I still don't have a plan, unfortunately it does not get much below 90 degrees this time of year so we have to do what we can and I need to get this painted by Sept. 15th. I hate to keep blotching it but that may be my only choice.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

12. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

i got my hands on a can the other day picked it up gave it a shake it sounded like it was water ..whats that tell ya .. i figured no build i put it back ..

use marhyde ..you want to talk about thick ..i love that stuff smart shoppers carrys it.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  13. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

A can of the Kirker? When I popped the top the top 1/3 of the can was clear and the rest looked like grey mud! The stuff is thick and it doesn't seem to have shrunk at all yet. We'll see.

14. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Any update on this slowandlow? How's your shrinkage?!? :D

15. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

It has been quite cold up here lately...

Oh, the car... right. :D

Ummmmmm it seems OK. The car has been sitting outside and while it did shrink some, it has been holding up well. After about a week I did see some sand scratches start to come back that I'm not thrilled about, but for a $60/gallon primer, its not too bad. I'm not gonna get to sanding it for quite a while so I can't comment on that aspect yet, but I will eventually.

16. Thanks for the update.
    Keep us posted.

17. im pulling up this thread from the depths.

its been at least 2 yrs for most that have used their respective product. how's it holding up?

im almost ready to paint the frame on my impala. i've sandblasted 1/2 and coated it in old ppg epoxy(6-7 yrs old but still worked great).
    im going to need more primer now, i want to stick to epoxy, but i rememberi paid 220 for the ppg back then, so i figure its probably over 300 by now. i definately dont want to respray the frame later, but dont feel like spending 200 bucks extra either right now. i've used other kirker products for my friends bobcats and its still holding up great after many years.