Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My latest project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordf1trucknut, Jul 28, 2008.

1. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Don't say that...you can never have to many projects!! :D

I now have just shy of 50,000 miles on it.

I had my first "break down" 2 weeks ago....

The rivet that holds the sector gear in place apparently wasn't riveted too well and it made a pop and the steering got loose when I pulled out of the driveway........ I pulled right back to the house and took the steering box out, tapped the pin back in place and welded it to the sector securely on both sides and reassembled and installed the box (the gears looked great). a quick fix that only took and hour and a half and the steering is as good as new again.

My HIGH mile junkyard engine is starting to get a little low on compression so I picked up another 200 in liner for it (this one is low mile...AKA less than the 300,000+ that is on the one in the truck) and did a hillbilly freshening on it and have it sitting in the corner of the garage ready to swap in when the engine in the truck gets worse.

I also picked up some better bedsides and plan on making a replacement bed for it sometime this summer of fall (the one on it is developing a lot of pinholes from the salt I run the truck in all winter long).

thanks,

john

2. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I got around to fixing up the daily driver a bit more.

I built a better bed for it... the old one was pretty Swiss Cheese like...this one is a bunch of leftover parts from re-doing the bed on my other truck....

I replaced the canvas with new canvas

I also fixed up a better hood and re-did the brakes and went over a bunch of the mechanicals to make sure everything is holding up well and just put 4 new tires on it.

So it is all ready for winter just in time (we had 8 inches Friday night...luckilly most of it melted already).

So now I can hopefully get around to some of my other projects.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am really happy how the bed turned out on my other truck..that bed that came off it was cut up to make the bed for the green one. I still need to find a nicer tailgate for it or buy a re-pop one before I paint it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am hoping to finally put some nice shiny paint on that truck this spring. I replaced a lot of parts on it this fall and made some upgrades to it under the hood and was about to take it part to paint this fall BUT I ended up having to put a roof on the house instead and I found a lot of good model A parts at Hershey this year so that is where all the paint money went to.....

3. ^^^^Boy those rear fenders look great., so does the whole truck.

4. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Period correct bumper guard - would make it over the top for me - Very nice build!

5. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Ran across your thread on the daily driver thread... Your truck is bad ass... Awesome!

6. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

7. loco

loco
    from Fresno, CA

I'm working on a 1966 chevy pickup. my dad gave it to some 25 or so years ago. He bought it for $250 for a renter back then. He never did anything with it and was going to junk it. He asked me if I wanted it. I have had sitting for along time and finally decided (with some help from my wife) to start working on it.

-loco

8. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Well I did major surgery on it today... yesterday the motor started to REALLY lack power and started to stink really bad and had very little compression so I yanked the engine out and put a better one in it. I took it for a 2 hour test drive to visit some family and it runs much better, a lot smoother and more power.

The clutch was also pretty worn so I would have had to change that soon anyways, plus the weather was nice..... swapping and engine on a cold sunny day outside is a lot easier then on a snowy or cold rainy day.

9. Just wanted to add that I like your truck a lot also. A great daily driver for winter and making those junkyard runs to haul stuff.

Just curious what mpg you get with that little 200 six?

10. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

around 18 city and 22 highway

11. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I finally found an extra set of 4 16" stock ford f-1 rims so I painted them and bought 4 new 16-7.50 8 ply tires from Coker (with my alliance discount).

They are a few inches bigger BUT ride a lot better, have less road noise and should hopefully last a bit longer while hauling all the band equipment every weekend..they have a higher load rating........ the 15-7.00's worked great the last few years but I always wore out the backs way to pre-maturely when loaded.

I got to get used to the bigger tire look and the higher feeling the truck has but so far so good.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  12. doc's

doc's

Looks great!!!

13. looks good john... subtle change, but a good one

14. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Well the new tires are a good choice as far as wear and hauling capacity as well as less tire noise BUT I really abuse the clutch now to get going especially loaded...I have been getting good at shifting the T-case out or low range on the fly when I am on a steep hill though.......but I hate to keep putting the t-case though that abuse!!

Right now I have 3.50 gears in the truck.... 4.10's will put me roughly were I was before with the old tires... which wasn't totally ideal so I am thinking sometime this summer or fall I may re-gear the axles to 4.56's.

I just need to find the time (I am currently painting the other 52, building the model a hot rod, building the 59 land rover sleeper plus restoring an early bronco for the wife and acquiring parts for all my other projects).

15. shadams

shadams

First of all, bad......ass. Love the 4x4 upgrade. Found and read this build off of your other truck you painted which is also bad.....ass.

:eek: I can hardly find time to work on my 1 project, let alone 4. Sheesh dude...

16. ...iffen you paint it, will it be the same colors?...hope ya don't get it too nice lookin so you don't wanna drive it.

17. Wow that looks bad ass!!!!

18. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Took it camping this weekend

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got a few more projects to accomplish then I plan on re-gearing it....hopefully in the next month or so. I may lock it front and back too while I am gearing it.

19. Tobey56

Tobey56

That gotta be the coolest truck on earth.

20. doc's

doc's

(x2)

21. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I still haven't gotten around to re-gearing it but I did get new gears at Carlisle and Hershey for it and should be able to tackle swapping them this week.

I got a new baby on the way soon so my band hasn't booked any gigs till next next spring so I figured I would take the canopy back off till we start playing out a lot in the spring.

[​IMG]

I like the way it looks without the canopy and wish I could run it this way all the time BUT I need the canopy on to fit all the equipment and keep it out of the weather.

22. I like it! One of the only real TRUCKS on here...:)

23. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Well I ripped into it tonight and hopefully I will have it all back together tomorrow with new traction adders and new 4.56 gears... decided with the amount of snow I run it in that limited slips front and rear would be best.

I am glad I tore into it...... I found that in the last 70,000 miles the used wheel bearings I put in it when I first built it are getting wore pretty so I will be replacing some of them and I needed a new wheel u-joint and a bearing spun in the hub so I need to replace that too.

24. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Got the gears done tonight.......I have more hours in it than I realized it would take!!!

The truck has a lot more low end power now.

25. "I like the way it looks without the canopy and wish I could run it this way all the time BUT I need the canopy on to fit all the equipment and keep it out of the weather. "

Might be time to build a panel?<!-- / message -->

26. Always thought this was a cool lookin' ride with the canopy, but I'm really feeling the way it looks without it. It's crazy how much a simple change can make such a drastic difference in appearance.

[​IMG]

27. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I had a pannel parts truck and I did ponder putting the pannel body on BUT it wasn't high enough to fit the main speakers...so pickup with canopy it is.....

Today while the wife was at work, I rebuilt my rear leaf packs and I took our daughter out in the woods to break in the gears......last night I got the rear broke in but I needed loose ground for the front..... I didn't do anything too crazy since there wasn't anyone around to help if we got stuck or rolled.

It HAS a lot more traction now that it has tight L/S in the front and rear and the gears help it out a LOT.

I re-calibrated the speedo and am really happy with the gears BUT I need a new rear drive-shaft since mine is REALLY wore at the splines and I get vibrations over 55....I guess before I never spun the driveshaft as fast as it turns now.

SO DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A CUSTOM SHAFT MADE IN THE SOUTHWEST PA AREA??? I used to use semko in johnstown but I heard that it closed up??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Well simkos is still in business, my wife dropped of a shaft and some measurements this morning....so the new rear shaft should be done next weeks some time.

29. when is the model a coming back home!?

30. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I gotta get a few more projects done for both myself and a few other people before I can haul it back up and work on it....

If it sits down there long enough I will forget about it and then re-discover it next year some time when I visit my parents and be all excited cause I found a "barn find hot rod" that is free!!!