Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Here is a long over do post. I found some Brewer #14 stuff in my pile. I have a scan of the cartoon my dad drew and a small crash pic from the 1978 Lawrenceburg year book from the 1977 season. You can see in the drawing and crash pic it does not have the sissy bars on the cage yet. The next small pic is from the 1978 season and from the 1979 yearbook. You can see it has the sissy bars now. The last pic I found is a mystery. Johnny Krebbs is driving in all three previous pics. This last pic is of Johnny Krebbs driving a white #14 sponsored by Sterling Bros. Masonry, Seymour Ind. Don't know what year. Car is similar, Single tube chassis, same rear cage sheet metal gusset, same front and rear bumper, but the nose, nerf bars, front radius rod and pitman arm are different. Left front wheel is really early, rear steel wheel is late plus the lace painting on the tail?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

THANK'S BZ, The white one was when the car was new in '74. I also got a shot of it in white with what looks a big block chevy in it. Jerry's son JL, sent me some shots of the car in different configurations, winged, colors,engines a victory lane shot {so I know it won at least one race}. AGAIN THANK'S FOR POSTING WHAT YOU HAVE, They will help with it's history................Rich

3. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

So??? What year Kurtis roadsters are you going to build??? OFFY engine???
    Halibrand running gear and wheels???? Approx. price???? Do you have a flyer or catalog??? Do you have a website???? more information please!!!

mac miller in INDY

4. Racer12

Racer12

Anyone who has a race car or hot rod who could make it to our event this Saturday please contact me. Also any of you who are drivers retired or current please come out and bring your helmet and suit. It's a great time for a great cause!

Takes place this Saturday at Wilbur Shaw memorial hill in Indianapolis at 9AM. If you would like to bring a car for display we will have over night security on Friday evening. Please check out our website even if you can't make it. www.raceofchampions.org

Even if you are racing on Saturday night and can only come for a short time that would be great. Be prepared to have sore face muscles from smiling so much on Saturday!

Bob Shutt
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

wolflover, There is a Dayton Speedway page on facebook, belonging to a guy named Mickey, who had the daytonspeedwaylives.com website. The website is down (or was a week ago) but if you contact him on FB I'll bet he would be happy to help you with the info he has. Good Luck and welcome to the HAMB

6. wilburshawfan

wilburshawfan
    from Indiana

Heard yesterday, the Safety Auto Glass Special was removed from it's long time perch on the Safety Auto Glass co. on Southeastern Ave. in Indianapolis to be restored. Any one know who purchased the car and who's going to restore it? I believe it was a Kurtis Kraft 500c that Sam Hanks drove to second place in the Indianapolis 500 in 1956. For photos Google, Safety Auto Glass Special...............

7. racer5c

racer5c

Chris Paulsen and Gary Schroeder bought it. Here is a quote from Chris I think you all will like

"We're gonna do a very very period authentic restoration, and if it was 1956 we could run it through tech and qualify the car again"

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...838673_3949131_423400417723326&nclick_check=1

8. wilburshawfan

wilburshawfan
    from Indiana

9. barstowpo

barstowpo

I thought the car never really got up to speed?

10. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Sixty years ago today Bill Schindler met his demise at Allentown.

11. David J. Kovac

David J. Kovac

Do not put that VINTAGE OPEN WHEEL RACER away yet.

Join us SATURDAY, OCTOBER 6th, 2012, BELLE-CLAIR SPEEDWAY, BELLEVILLE Il.

1/5 mile dirt track.
    2 PM vintage check-in
    Display on the concrete pad under the metal roof across from the main grandstand.
    Two pit passes per displayed vintage open wheel racer.
    Possible track time
    POWRi midget and outlaw micro show
    Gates open at 4 pm hot laps at 6 pm

Call to reserve your spot
    DAVID J. KOVAC
    314-220-0699
    [email protected]

See you at the track

12. s-tech@bright.net

[email protected]
    from lima ohio

youcan see a leo car run in lima ohio this sat. or call 419-645-4288 for more info steve

13. racer5c

racer5c

I'll bite, whats a leo car?

14. I'll bite too. How 'bout an intro?

15. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

It's one of the cars that the legendary Leo Krasek built. I believe they were all numbered K-4. Krasek is in the Knoxville Sprint Car Hall of Fame. You can download a good bio of Leo from their website in .pdf format. Leo's car raced and won against the Chevrolet brothers in the 1920s and he ended up with Don Freeland as his last driver in the very early 1950s. Also, Bill Schindler had the crash that ended up costing him a leg in one of Leo's cars.

A few years ago the last Krasek K-4 big car showed up at one of the Jungle Park Reunions completely unrestored and in as last raced condition. Part of the condition of Leo having sold the car to an early collector was that he would never take the engine apart and discover all of Leo's speed secrets. I think there was a new owner by the time of the Jungle Park event but he was still honoring Leo's wishes. BTW, that particular meet had more classic big cars in one place than probably ever seen before with at least three Hissos (including the Delagrange #100), Mutt Anderson's Everett Saylor championship winning car and quite a few other Ford/HAL engined cars. They had them all lined up on the straight in front of the remaining grandstand. It was quite a photo op and probably a once in a lifetime event. :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  16. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

From HubGarage
    [​IMG]

From ChevygirlRox
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400430

[​IMG]

17. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey guy's, I was wondering if any of you guys might have seen one of these and what it was, a toy, an ashtray??? It's cast brass, 8" 1/2 inches long 2" 5/8 wide and 2" 1/2 tall................Rich

Attached Files:

18. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Been a long time since I've seen one. I think they were intended as ashtrays. You could lay your cigar in the cockpit. Is it for sale?

19. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Thnk's John, I bought it friday on Ebay,person selling it thought it might have been a inkwell, but I figured it might have been an ashtray.Gonna look for some wheels for it at Hershey in oct, and planned on using as an business card holder or an ashtray for my cigars..........................Rich

20. sramoa

sramoa

Anyone have got any info(and photo) for Bruce Denslow's Plymouth engine car in 1946 Indy 500?

21. racer5c

racer5c

22. racer5c

racer5c

23. easter

easter

Roy - Those were great videos. What a perfect way to start my Monday off by watching those a couple times. I thought the Grancor car was going to ride up over the right rear of that white car! And, did you get a little mud in you face over there? Did that mud come from your front tires or those knobby's in front of you? Again, great films. I'm going to forward them to all my friends.

24. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

25. racer5c

racer5c

the mud came from the knobbys

26. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Not much. Car was entered by Donald J. Greene and Ivan W. "Bud" Holland of Los Angeles. Holland was a regular entrant in (mostly Northern) Californian Big Car racing from since before the war, and as late as 1956 he still ran a Plymouth-powered Sprint Car in CRA competition. Drivers included Denslow, Jimmy Miller, Kenny Palmer, Ed Barnett and Joe Gemsa, amongst others. In 1946, he ran a two-car team on the West Coast, one apparently a red #1 of 217 CID, and the other a cream & blue #2 with a 200 CID engine - no further details. The Indy entry was a 6-cylinder of 259 CID. That's about as many pieces as I can contribute to this jigsaw puzzle... :confused:

EDIT: Oh yes, and Don Greene had entered a car at Indy in 1940 and '41 as well - apparently a Miller-engined two-seater. No pictures, no details. :(

27. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Really good stuff, Roy!

28. sramoa

sramoa

I find that car in 1941:#57 Bill Lipscomb's Greene-Miller,but I didn't find in 1940.Lipscomb 's car was in 1940 #57 Watson Miller(was it same?)

29. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

30. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

[​IMG]