Register now to get rid of these ads!

1960 chevy truck lowering???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chadman, Mar 27, 2012.

1. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

Hey, I have a 1960 Chevy apache long bed with a 6 and 3 speed, I also have the torsion bar front end, has anybody lowered there truck with this front end set-up, I looked through all the other threads for 60-66 trucks on here but not much info or picks on the 60's I'm looking for the cheapest way possible, its just and old farm truck but it sits a bit high,

Attached Files:

2. kingofknights

kingofknights

i think brothers has a cheap kit

3. kingofknights

kingofknights

60 was the worst year for suspension, coils in the back and torsion in the front...wtf?

4. Just turn the bars down till you get it where you want it...lowering springs in the rear from early classic, brothers....etc.

sko_ford likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

heh...you have the only old truck that you can just turn a couple bolts to lower it...

sko_ford likes this.
  6. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

The torsion bars ride like a couch. They're VERY comfortable.
    Chrysler sued GM over the torsion bar front end, and won... hence, the switch to coil front end in '63. Chrysler used the set-up for a decade after that, and they ride pretty well.

As for the rear, they handle pretty damn well too.

Like others have said--to lower the fronts, just crank the adjust bolt at the crossmember by the trans.

It'll bottom out on the bumpstops when you hit bad bumps, and it also takes a lot of travel out of the shocks, but it'll get the job done until you can get some spindles and a disc brake kit.

-Brad

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think GM used the torsion bars on the big trucks too.

8. slammed

slammed

9. slammed

slammed

10. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

my son and i raised the front crossmember up 5 in to lower it more,heres some pics

Attached Files:

11. LostHope

LostHope

a cheap way to lower the rear is to cut the coils from the top and then either drive it like that or for extra safety drill the frame and use a u-bolt to hold the coil in place on top, ive done both ways,

or if you do have some cash get some jeep springs that bolt in with the stock spring plates in the rear supposed to lower the rear around 3 or so inchs...
    The rear Jeep TJ/LJ springs.
    There are four different versions of the springs that were used from 1997 through 2006. These are the ones that can be used on the C10. Similar rear springs could be found on the Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ. All four versions are the same length wise but vary in rate.
    The only way to tell them apart is by the color coded tags that are on the springs from the factory, they read as follows:
    103AA (or 3AA) 130lb.
    104AA (or 4AA) 140lb.
    105AA (or 5AA) 150lb.
    106AA (or 6AA) 160lb.

so what this saying here is that the 106AA are the best because you can carry more of a load, just remember if you do use jeep springs dont expect to be hauling the same weight as stock springs....."Sometimes thats the price you have to pay to be cool"

as far as the front your pretty limited because the torsion bars with out spending some cash or work id just turn the torsion bars and call it a day if your just trying to get it a little lower!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
    sko_ford likes this.
  12. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I agree. The rear suspension is the current Nascar setup. CPP makes a grand slam kit if your really serious about the truck being dropped and handling.

13. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

like the other guys said .On my 62 i just wound the front down cut the bump stops in half and replaced the rear springs with manual airbags,airvalves at the rear bumper.I run about 40lbs and it rides fairly low and rides nice

14. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

where do you get manual air bags??

15. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

manual air bags are just air bags with lines to a air valve that you fill like a tire

16. Puna Paul

Puna Paul
    from Hawaii

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=442745

Seems like a killer price, doesn't it? Maybe carry a portable tank around for a while...

Great info on the Jeep springs, LostHope! I need to save that info - plenty of wrecked jeeps where I live..

Gilles d - I was wondering if that could be done, but I had never seen it before. What rack unit did you end up using?

P

17. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

GM used torsion bars on 1/2 ton 4wd and (to my knowledge) all 3/4 and 1 ton trucks up until the 2007 model year. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, like the occasional 1/2 ton 2wd with torsion bars. :|

To the OP, you should be able to drop the front by an inch or so with a torsion bar key adjustment. Jack the front and put it up on stands. You may find a need for a torsion bar tension tool; the proper tool is recommended, but some folks make do with a big c-clamp or a two-jaw puller. I'm not recommending anything other than the proper tool. The use of the tool is to unload the spring tension from the adjusting screw. Make an adjustment one complete turn at a time, then drop the front back down to the ground. Be aware that you may need a front end alignment after the adjustment is made.

18. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

the rack we used was from a o3 malibu

19. what mods did you do to the rack? cool project!:D

20. Gm would still be using torsion bar but chrysler sued them for patent issues and they stopped. find a k-member from a later gm truck 63-67' to keep 6 lug or 71-87' for a 5 lug swap. damm near a bolt in swap. 67-72 chevy truck forum has lots of tech on swap.

21. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

we dint do any mods to the rack but i still have to figuer out the tie rod ends

Attached Files:

22. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Heres my old 60 shortbed.

Turned torsion bars down as far as I could safely, and added 88 jeep tj rear coils to rear of my truck.

Just that simple and cheap...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

guthriesmith likes this.
  23. Truckedup

Truckedup

Interesting,any proof of that? GM used torsion bars on the 66 Olds Toronado front driver also.The story I heard was the torsion bars were more expensive so GM switched back to coils.

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think Ford used torsion bars on the 4x4 rangers along with some imports.

25. FF SIX ONE

FF SIX ONE

Torsion bars were still used up to 05, unless Im mistaken. I had a 76 chevy luv used TB to lower that, 92 silverado ext cab with TB, and my 05 z71 has TB. My 61 C10 was lowered in front with torsion bars also.

26. jchav62

jchav62

On Chevy trucks, torsion bars were uses from 60-62. Then coil springs from 63 - on. Torsion bars were used again only on 4wd's from 88 on.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

27. apache60

apache60

hey grumpy thanks for the info approx. how much do the 88 tj coils drop it and also if im not mistaken you cant cut those jeep coils down shorter, and if you bought yours or ordered them where did you get em. any info would help thanks

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  28. sixbangr

sixbangr

I bought mine on ebay for $50 shipped, dropped mine at least 3"