Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconvan, Jun 10, 2012.

1. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I spent half a day at the boneyard gathering some misc pieces yesterday so I didnt get as far as I hoped this weekend. I did get a few more things bolted on the engine, cut a set of shock mounts and welded them on the frame, painted the front of the frame with some POR-15, and got the suspention back on after cutting one coil off the springs. I need to work some OT this week but im hoping to get the engine and trans bolted together at some point and start mocking up the drivetrain to build mounts.

Attached Files:

2. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I got the motor and trans put together today and my motor mounts built. I had to dimple the firewall in one spot and box part of the frame for the exhaust but it looks good. Now I need to build a trans crossmember and get the pedal assembly mocked up. I got a clutch/brake pedal assembly from a late model Jeep; it should work with some slight modification.

Attached Files:

3. NickH07

NickH07

Subscribed! Just got my 53 cranbrook last week! Great build and clean work man!

4. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Thanks, 53 is a cool body style. What are your plans for it?

5. NickH07

NickH07

Right now plan is restore the pans, white walls, 12v conversion, and air bags then daily drive it... Buuuuut there is a 700hp Viper V10 and 6spd in the plans down the road...

6. fenian65

fenian65

oops thrashing!..lol

7. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

That would be cool; you'd need one heck of a firewall setback for that V10! Sounds like a killer project; you should start a build thread. I'll definately subscribe.

I rooted through my scrap barrel today to find something to build a crossmember and came up with some 2" and 3" angle iron. I cut a 6' piece of 2" in half and welded the two halves together to make a box, notched out for the trans mount, then cut some 3" pices for the ends. After much trimming and trial fitting it looks pretty good and should have enough room for the exhaust to pass under.

Attached Files:

8. NickH07

NickH07

9. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Thanks, I think it'll do the job just fine.
    I got the trans crossmember bolted in tonight so now the drivetrain is self supporting. Here's how she's going to sit for a while. I need to tweak my driveline angles and clearances but it's pretty close. Now I can plumb brakes and fuel, get the pedal assembly set up, front discs, hydraulic clutch, wiring, dash, exhaust, plus several other minor things. Im not doing any major bodywork or paint other than the firewall and dash, a trunk patch, and some touchup on the the sheetmetal I replaced so it should come together fairly quick. Im hoping to have the majority of it knocked out in the next few months and get back on my 48.
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

10. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Doing a little test fitting tonight on the Jeep pedals, dash with the gauges in, and shifter location. I was worried the back of the gauges would hit the pedal assembly but after some strategic slicing it all works out good. Sitting on a milk crate everything feels like its in a comfortable location. Now to make it all permanant.

Attached Files:

11. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

12. NickH07

NickH07

Wow id like to see a lot more of those pedals install and some pics and model/ parts numbers please!!!

Looks good!!!

13. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Nick, the pedal assembly was from a mid 80's CJ. All I had to do was slice 3" off the front, cut the stop off of the clutch pedal, notch the brake pedal at the stop so it would have more forward travel, and drill a couple new mounting holes under the dash. The master cylinder rod lined up perfect but I will need a little longer one. I used the hydraulinc clutch cylinder from the same Dakota I got the trans from. The rod lines up nice; I just need to weld a tab on the pedal to bolt the slave cylinder rod on.

Attached Files:

14. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I had to make a couple of filler pieces for the dash ends. They need some finish work but it’s a good start.

Attached Files:

15. NickH07

NickH07

Thanks, I'll def have to keep that in mind for Lucy!!!

16. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

Looks good. My dad has a '51 4 door too. I've seen these done up cool, but we've got way too many projects and are running out of space. He said he will scrap it sometime soon, so hopefully I find a buyer soon.

Eric Hale, you need a parts car? You're only a few hours away.

17. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Somebody save that Plymouth!

I made a trip to the boneyard today to get some brake parts, a driveshaft, and other misc stuff. The Explorer front brake rotors slide right over the Plymouth hubs and the bolts line up; just need to build a bracket to hold the caliper. Also got the dash mods finished up and in primer.

Attached Files:

18. Lpdesignz

Lpdesignz
    from Sin city

Digging it man nice ride!! I have a 2 door 51 Plymouth chopped and bagged and a 4 door stocker all original for now... Keep up the good work..

19. Nice car we are doing a 51 suburban 2 door wagon.. fun cars

20. n847

n847

Nice work as usual!

I'd love to see how those discs wind up working out for you! What year explorer were those rotors off of? Are you going to use the same year make and model calipers? Any pics you can take and info you can provide would be awesome!

21. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Thanks, all! The brakes are 98 Explorer and I'm also using the Explorer dual piston calipers. It's practically a bolt on; all you have to do is remove your old backing plate with the drum brakes, cut the rivets off the drum so you just have the hub, turn down the outer diameter of the hub about 1/8" (I did it on a bench grinder), and then the rotor siles right over the hub; just like on the Explorer. Then you make a bracket that bolts to the spindle and mount the caliper bracket to that. I am going to drill out the holes for the old lug bolts and use 1/2" X 20 x 2" press in studs but you could probably use the lug bolts if you wanted to. Since I've got the Explorer rear I just thought I'd use the same size wheel stud for the front. A guy on the P15 D24 site came up with the swap. Here's a picture of the bracket he posted; he had these cut out of 3/8" plate.

Attached Files:

22. n847

n847

Awesome...Thanks!

23. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

My wife and I both took off yesterday; she's starting to work on her crafts for Christmas and I decied to do a marathon in the garage. I started at 6am and wrapped it up about 8 last night but I got a lot done.
    I put some 1/2' rubber insulators between the motor and trans mounts and ended up having to raise the trans tunnel center a bit for clearance. It was pretty close anyway so i figured that was coming. I pulled the motor back out and welded all the unneeded holes in the firewall and gave it a skim coat of filler, built a front frame notch for the crank pulley, weled up everything on the floor that had been temporarily tacked together, and finally primered and painted the whole floor. <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

24. Love what you're doing with the car! I have a similar "Plymouth problem" in the garage, only I didn't use the Explorer rear, or a 318, but the concept is all the same. Keep rolling...I am subscribed, cuz I wanna watch this unfold.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  25. n847

n847

Damn...not bad for a days work!

26. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Thanks, all; glad you find an old fourdoor worth watching. I'm pretty happy with the way it's turning out. After all those hours of either bending or kneeling I felt like a 90 year old man when I got out of bed yesterday. I went to visit my son for most of the day and didnt do a darn thing. We're heading to the playoff game after church today; Go Cards!

27. n847

n847

Now I can follow your four door build and I dig your love of Plymouths....But I'm drawing the line on the shout out to the Cardinals! Go Reds! LOL

28. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Now wait a minute! You're got our old General Manager, third baseman, and right fielder. There's nine men on the field so a third of your wins should be credited to St Louis! :D We'll try not to smoke you too bad in the playoffs.;)

29. n847

n847

LOL...Fair enough! Hell I'm from Ohio so I'm used to the dissapointment that comes with being a Bengals/Reds fan. I have learned to enjoy every win wer can get! It would be pretty awsome so see them clash in the playoffs. Any how have fun at the game and get back to the car!

30. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Getting close; got all the holes filled and sanded and a guidecoat of primer. Should be able to get a few coats of high build on it tomorrow and then wet sand and color on Saturday.

Attached Files: