Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pertronix distributor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cerberus, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Cerberus

Cerberus

A member here said, "if you are running a Pertronix distributor, do not leave the key in the ON position without the engine running." WHY? He was the 60th poster and the thread went on another 60 some posts and this statement was never challanged. Today, I removed my Duraspark II ignition system to install a Pertronix II Flame-Thrower distributor and Flame-Thrower II coil. What damage results from leaving the key in the ON position without the engine running? Anyone know?

There is nothing regarding this in the Installation Instructions or warranty. So I am wondering if this is a real concern, and if I should always remove the key from the ignition to avoid a potential problem?

2. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

The way I heard it was it will burn the points.

3. sdluck

sdluck

If i remember the pertronix 1 had this note,but I believe the II is protected.The 1! unit would burn up.

4. Cerberus

Cerberus

Pertronix II don't have points.

5. upspirate

upspirate

Quote from the Pertronics support link on their site

"What will happen if I leave the ignition switch on when the engine is not running?

Leaving the ignition switch on when the engine is not running, can cause permanent damage to the ignition system, and related components. This does not apply to the accessory position of the ignition switch."

http://www.pertronix.com/support/tips/default.aspx

6. Cerberus

Cerberus

Geez, Ya think they would post it in their instructions and warranty.

7. I have read posts in other threads that the new ones have a circuit built in to protect against damage. The older ones would definitely burn up. That's what I hear anyways from people that should know

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. i bought a 66 impala in 1997. it already had the pertronix in it. drove it for a few years decided i need a big powerfull hei. gave the distributor to a buddy to put in his 34 chevy because an hei wouldn't fit in his car. he had his car for 10 years, he just sold it. that pertronix is still working great. we never had any problems. i still think the pertronix ran better than my aftermarket hei.

9. It's not in your warranty or Instructions because it is NOT a factor with the Ignitor II that is in your distributor. The original Ignitor, that came out some forty years ago CAN burn up if it is fed power and the motor is not turning over, as all that energy has no where to go - and this is if the magnet and pickup are aligned, just depends on where it happens to stop turning when you shut the car off.
    With new technology, we were able to put a microprocessor in the Ignitor II and III that shut the system down if they don't sense rotation from the distributor after about 15 seconds. That protects the system and then reactivate themselves when you hit the starter.

Don from PerTronix.

10. Cerberus

Cerberus

Thanks Don, I was worried about friends and family sitting in the car, turning the ign key to the ON position, to listen to the sound system, and frying the Pertronix II distributor and coil in the process. Okay so I don't need to set up a safeguard system. Tomorrow, Sunday, I will install the Pertronix Flame-Thrower II distributor with "peace of mind".

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why would you leave the key in the on position with the engine off, anyway?

12. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

What I was wondering too. I've done it by accident while working on electrical problems. I know factory Mopar ignition boxes will self destruct if left on too long in the run position with the engine off.

13. xlr8er

xlr8er

I have a Petronix in my car and accidentally left the key on. I discovered it about 2 1/2 hours later and the coil was cooked. I replaced the coil and there appears to be no other damage. The coil got HOT!!! It spewed oil (from inside the coil) all over the place...

I won't do THAT again!!

14. Yep Mopars were famous for it.

Points ignitions will do the same thing to the coil if the points are closed when the ignition is left on.

15. Cyclone

Cyclone
    from Sonoma, CA

This is what happened to a friends Nomad, exactly.

16. Cerberus

Cerberus

Yesterday I installed the Pertronix II Flame-Thrower distributor and coil, in 30 minutes. Got lucky stabbing the dizzy. Today, a friend saw my garage door open and pulled up. He came into the garage. He looked at the engine bay I was bent over, and said, "WOW, looks cleaned up. Less wires. You got rid of the old Duraspark system. Is that a Pertronix Distributor? How does it run?" Told him, all is good. The firewall is less cluttered now, and there are no wires running down the intake manifold like before, to the dizzy. I'm happy.Starts fast and runs good. :D

Attached Files:

17. joee

joee

left the key on in my flathead with a pertronix kit and it burned the coil up. like above oil leaked out of coil. the car acted just like it had a bad fuel pump.

18. exactly, why would you?............

but basically, your "modern style " conversions and ready to run distributors will have a "safety" circuit to protect the module itself.

19. Cerberus

Cerberus

How old is your ignitor kit? According to hotroddon, in his above post, the original ignitor systems from the 70's did not have a microprocessor (safeguard), and if the key was left in the "ON" position, the ignitor system can burn up.

20. barobert

barobert
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello, I have a Petronix system for about 7 years in my 1959 Impala. I also forgot the key ons, it still works fine.

21. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

My first generation Pertonix unit, and the others I have seen, have flying magnets and what appears to be an inductive pick-up. With no movement the pick-up can't sense whether or not the magnet is aligned with it. That being the case, why would it make a difference where the stops relative to the pick-up?

22. alumslot

alumslot

I bought a used Flame Thrower distributor and haven't used it yet. Why would someone put an extra ground wire screwed to the base of the distributor???? Some one have or know reason to do this.

Jim

Attached Files:

23. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

a couple years ago, i accidentally left my key in the "on" position for a weekend.

the battery was dead on monday, but the pertronix II ignition system was fine and it still works fine after 2 years of daily driving

24. Some folks have had issues with the distributor not grounding to the engine due to a powdercoated Hold down clamp. or one with oil all over it, or a crappy chrome job, or too much paint, or a painted manifold etc.
    This insures a good ground - a rare problem, but it can happen

25. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

I installed a Pertronix ignition into an old chevy points distributor 3 or 4 weeks ago as I was getting ready to fire up my old truck with a new sbc. Somehow the key got left on for about 20 or 30 minutes before I brushed my arm against the coil, and it was hotter than hell. Thought there would be a blister, but it just turned red. Can't believe the coil and who knows what would else, would have lasted much longer if I hadn't inadvertently found it with my new sore arm.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  26. alumslot

alumslot

Thanks now I know I can use it.

Jim

27. joee

joee

i was hooking up the elect. wipers and left the key on...unit is 2 weeks old from summit.

28. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

There no reason in the world to have ignition on w out running …. connect your radio up to un switched power.
    Or do you have so few problems in life you need to create some?