Register now to get rid of these ads!

Airbag set-ups with 6 volt systems?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BloodyKnuckles, Aug 17, 2005.

1. I have decided to bag my car for numerous reasons. I have also decided on keeping the 6 volt system. I have researched and researched but have not come up with any info. Is anyone running a 6 volt compressor or a belt driven unit with 6 volt valves? Is this possible?
    I was also thinking of using a co2 bottle with inflate and delfate valves with guages.
    I would appreciate some suggestions or recommendations but I don't need to be talked into converting to 12 volt or not running bags.
    Thanks guys,

BloodyKnuckles

2. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

How about using a York style AC compressor and some manual valves. Then you only need to find a pressure valve that will work with 6 volts, and I think they all will.

3. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

run a 12v compressor and switches but use a voltage regulator.

4. I am not the best with understanding electrical so could you explain this in more detail please?
    I have no problem going with this if it will work for me.

Thanks,

Bloodyknuckles

5. RonC

RonC
    from Montebello

A nitrogen or compressed air tank ( maybe an old scuba tank) would probably hold enough pressure to last a while if you dont play with it too much. Then all you need is manual valves and your set. The only drawback is that you are going to have to find somewhere to have the tank filled and those type of tanks need to be hydro tested every five years or they wont fill the ( not a big deal). I think you can get scuba tanks filled pretty cheap.

6. ray

ray
    from colorado

they make little doodads that convert the 6 volt to 12. i dunno how well they work under than kind of amp load though. i like the engine driven compressor idea, use a heavy duty pressure switch from a shop type compressor, and it will not care what voltage is running through it. if you're not looking for super fast monkey motion, manual valves will do just fine. i assume you're doing the early 50's mopar in your pic? i'm doing a 51 plymouth right now, but the cars been converted to 12 volts.

7. This system will be so I can get out of the driveway and ride at a height that I think looks good and to also let it lay low when I'm parked.
    Yes I do have an early 50's mopar, '51 plymouth cambridge.
    It's cool to see how others do thiers up.

Bloodyknuckles

8. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

i have a 4 way manual valve set up for 150 if ya are interested...

9. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

why not just get a 12 volt battery (a small one like a dyna bat) to run the valves and guages off of and an engine driven comp or nitrogen? youd just have to throw a charger on it everyonce in a while:D

10. They don't make 6 volt valves,or 6 volt compressors.

11. tred

tred

i'm selling a brand new small 12 volt battery for twenty bucks in the classifieds as we speak...

will tuck away neatly in your trunk.

on my astro van, i used scuba tanks, they had a (pressure) regulator, and were only two bucks each to fill, no biggie, but are you near a dive shop? these things fill up to several thousand p.s.i., not everybody has a compressor that will go that high.

tred.

12. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

when i got my car it had a deep cycle in the trunk to run all the valves.. had to charge like once a week or so i just did it at night. but now my car is 12v cause 6v sucks!