Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects time to build a new car for the hills

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nutrocker, Sep 22, 2012.

1. nutrocker

nutrocker

Some of you may know that over here in the UK there is a great flathead scene, and part of that scene is racing on the hills as part of a hill climb championship. For this I've been using my much loved 30 A roadster which I have been beating the shit out of and as I don't seem to have much restraint once the green light is lit, I'm affraid that at some point soon I will end up trashing it or bouncing it off the steel crash barriers. So with this in mind I felt it time to build something that A. I wasn't so protective about and B. was maybe a little faster.

Here's a link to a thread about the hill climbs and the guys I race with.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696598&highlight=nutrocker

And a couple of pics of my roadster at a resent event where a small group of us hired a race track for the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pics by Monkeybiker Phil and Daisyduke Becky.

I started the new project with a few things in mind, it had to still be a hot rod, not an English type special, had to have two seats as I want to be able to use it for other things and take my wife or daughter out, and it had to be model A based.
    I bought a model A chassis, Model A front end, 4" French flatty and a set of wheels and tyres from friends and classified ads so set about building the roller. Now at this point I didn't take many pics, just got on with it so the pics start once the roller was mostly complete. I have fitted a Volvo Amazon gearbox and a Ford Pilot rear axle, made all the cross members to be light but strong and fitted twin brake M/C so I can balance the brakes front to rear to suit differing race tracks.
    Now I know there are lots of things that are not ideal for racing, like the height of the rear, but I can't cut or Z the chassis due to our registration rules over here.
    Some pics of the roller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
    63fdsnr and cretin like this.
  2. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Way cool Pete!

M.

3. nutrocker

nutrocker

A few more pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have also been working on the steering wheel, not finished yet.

[​IMG]

And working on some manifold adapters for SU carbs.

[​IMG]

Pete

cretin likes this.
  4. nutrocker

nutrocker

Time to start on the body.

Been working on the firewall this week and last night had to wait at work for a delivery which was stuck on the M25 so had a bit time to do some of them jobs that I couldn't do at home.
    Folded up some 2.5mm ally channels that will become the floor structure with plywood floor. Also folded up some A posts. These are just the beginings of the body a will need plenty of fettling etc.
    The firewall is pretty much the shape I want but still needs the centre recessing. It's wroughly based on a model A but simplified.
    The idea is to build the body so it looks like a Ford but not anyone in particular.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. nutrocker

nutrocker

The first thing was to sort the mounts for the firewall. I wanted them to be something like Model A, with the floor raising up at the base to form the stops for the pedals. With the body being moved back the side mounted body mounts would now be under the floor rise instead of behind, so a flat plate was welded in place first.

[​IMG]

Then the riser was fab'd and welded in.

[​IMG]

Same for the other side. They will still need some bracing underside but that will wait till I take it all apart before painting.

[​IMG]

The next bit was to make the floor structure. These will be welded to the risers eventually but for now they will just be welded together so the body sides and back can be formed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final bit for now was to temp fit the 'A' posts so I can start thinking about the cowl sides and top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. 2-TONED

2-TONED

KOOL! and very nice work!!

7. nutrocker

nutrocker

Started by making a 90 deg flange to sit around the firewall so the cowl can be welded to it. Followed by an angle section to run down the door posts for the doors to sit into. These were then welded into place along with a lower flat section, again for the outter skin to weld to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welded into place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next bit was to make the outter skin. I did cheat a bit and made up a couple of panels at work. The bits I did at work were to cut the sheet to size, fold one edge and give them a slight compound curve on the english wheel. They still needed lots of work to finish though and that was done in the garage.

[​IMG]

Using a shrinker and stretcher I made the top fold into a slight wave much like a Model A cowl.

[​IMG]

just need to trim and weld in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sand off the welds and lower cowl panel done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the crap pics but it's really hard to take pics of aluminium as it's all the same colour.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. nutrocker

nutrocker

I managed to do the other lower cowl the same as the first one so didn't bother taking any pics cause it's exactly the same just the opposit hand. What I did take pics of was the start of the upper cowl bits. These are prob the most difficult part of the body and after plenty of bashing I have a couple of very roughly shaped bits that look nothing like what they will eventually look like. But here's how they went.

First off was to put a fold on one edge and roll what's left.

[​IMG]

Then clamped in the vice along with a bit of flat steel stock and given a gentle shove on one end to give a tapered fold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using the shrinker and stretcher again to put a wave in the folded egde to match the lower panel.

[​IMG]

Beat the rounded part till it follows the wave part, well almost:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

t'other side the same

[​IMG]

As you can see from the pics there's still loads of beating the shit out of it to make it right but it's a start. I also made a steel tubed brace to run from the tops of the A posts as something to hang the column drop from. Then just out of curiosity I moked it up with the ally hood and old grill shell from the roadster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

bymanr and volvobrynk like this.
  9. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Hell yeah... Git 'em! Beautiful work.

I love your roadster, both how you built it and how you drive the bejesus out of it. In fact, I have been so obsessed that I am swapping my '30 tudor over to a roadster and using your car as the template.

I look forward to following your work on this new car, lots of ideas to take in and will be interested to see what you change to make the car more appropriate for track days.

Will Kimble
    www.kimblemandolins.com

10. nifty

nifty
    from UK

I'm one of the fortunate few to see this car in person. What you guys will get to see through the course of the build up is the amount of thought and ingenuity that Pete is putting into this car.
    It's built with the simple purpose to be competitive, built to a budget in his small garage and oozes class and attention to detail all the way through.
    Hold onto your hats..........

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  11. i am watching
    good build

12. tinmann

tinmann

Ummm wow. You're making this look too easy. Looking forward to updates.

13. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

It is a shame you do not have any fabricating skills, this might have worked!! LOL.

What a great job you are doing and I look forward to seeing your progress. Beautiful workmanship.

That old A handles pretty well.

14. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Incredible work..I cant wait to see the rest of the build!

15. nutrocker

nutrocker

Thanks for the good comments and taking an interest in the build.

Still working on the cowl. I have now bashed the corners into a shape, not sure if they'll stay this shape or not, I might flatten them down a bit. Will wait and see how it all looks with the cowl all finished.

[​IMG]

Next bit was to make a dash. Made from three pieces welded together plus an oval shaped piece where the gauges will go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The big holes for the gauges needed to be cut in before I welded the dash in.

[​IMG]

dash fully welded in.

[​IMG]

Just the corner bits to sort. Lots of thought, bisciuts and tea but no ideas on what to do. So just went with it to see what happened. Came out OK I think.

Form this

[​IMG]

To this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Fantastic work! Wow!

17. nutrocker

nutrocker

Yippee! I had 10 days off work to de-stress myself. Wonder what I can filled my time doing:D.

For the last week or so at work I had been bashing more ally and generally getting all the bits sorted to be able to work from home without having to go to the workshop while off work. Most has been done at home with a few bits needing the wheel and folder at work.

Started on the rear of the body. Made a set of rolls for the bead roller in the same manner as on the HAMB tech week thingie, cutting a plate to the shape and using it to turn some plastic on the lathe.
    Worked reasonably well but did flatten out the tighter curves so will have to get the hammers out to finish it up. Made the rear section in three pieces which are bolted together, but will be welded to the base so won't be removable. The same with the door skins, bead rolled the top and run them through the english wheel to give a slight compound curve.

Some pics of the bits just propped in place. There's still loads to do, it's all a bit high, the swage lines don't line up and the top curve is wrong, but it's the start of 10 days of welding and bashing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. nutrocker

nutrocker

Bit more work done, although a bit slow as I'm doing some of the more detailed and tricky parts to get right and I'm happy with the progress. The rear section needs to line up with many other parts so took a little time to sort. I'm only working on one side at a time, no real reason just the way it's going.

Started by fab'ing up the 'B' post. This has a recess section for the rear of the door to sit into. I wanted the door to fit flush to the body not like and A where it sits flush on the front and over the body on the back.

[​IMG]

next bit was to weld a return on the floor at the edge for the rear panel to weld to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then tack weld the 'B' post in place.

[​IMG]

This next bit took forever to get right and still needs some work to both top and the side leading from the door. I will get to those bits later.

[​IMG]

you can see in this pic that it lines up with the cowl swage.

[​IMG]

and from the front the profile is pretty close too

[​IMG]

inside looks nice too

[​IMG]

Pete

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. That is crazy awesome! Enjoying the progress so far from over here...

20. nutrocker

nutrocker

I started on the door.

First bit was to make some hinges. I did bore out some solid bar with a 10mm hole on the lathe at work. The rest is just some 50 x 5mm stainless flat stock. Weld it all together and you have a set of hinges. I will at a later date skim the middle section to allow some brass washers to be fitted to stop the stainless on stainless from balling up.

[​IMG]

Using a length of 10mm bar going through both hinges to keep them in line they were marked as to where they should go.

[​IMG]

cut slots in the recess

[​IMG]

drill, tap and bolt into place.

[​IMG]

Now time to start on the door. First bit was to make the front shut panel and fix it to the hinges.

[​IMG]

weld a return to the leading edge for the skin to weld to

[​IMG]

and check it opens and closes without fowling

[​IMG]

I've made a start on the bottom of the door too

[​IMG]

Pete

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. nutrocker

nutrocker

Made some of the other parts for the door carcass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not totally finished as there is still a fair bit of bracing to do, but for now it's ready for the skin.

Made these basic panels at the workshop. Just flat sheet wheeled to give a slight compound curve and then run the top through the bead roller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trim to suit the carcass and weld into place. Still needs the bottom trimming off.

[​IMG]

Bottom trimmed and pushed outside to take a better look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. cakes

cakes

your fabrication skill is amazing, what is your background?

23. nutrocker

nutrocker

Some of the inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spent some time making the door top. Lots of work to get it right and still needs the front and rear end caps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also got really fed up with moving a sheet of plywood around so decided just to cut it up into the main floor panels to get it out of my way.

[​IMG]

Pete

volvobrynk and oldsrocket like this.
  24. That is killer sir. An aluminum rpu is the best thing ive seen all day, most likly longer

25. n847

n847

WOW...your not messing around are you...

26. nutrocker

nutrocker

Thanks for the compliment.

I'm just a self taught welder/fabricator of some 30 years. I get to work on all sorts of stuff from airplanes to submarines and just about anything in between. Love a challenge and pushing myself.
    I could have made this car relatively easily at work, but with not much time or space at the workshop I decided to build it at home, just like everyone else does. I only have the basic tools plus a TIG welder and a small garage so it has taken a bit of time and I've had to compromise on a few bits. I do make the odd bit at work, just like someone would get their mate or the local fab shop to do something they didn't have the tools to do, but nearly all has been done in the garage.

Hope this answers your question.

Pete

autobilly and volvobrynk like this.
  27. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I believe this thread deserves a 'Holy Shit'...:cool:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. khead47

khead47

Please do not paint it!!!!!!!

29. nutrocker

nutrocker

Made the other door. Again took ages, but it's starting to look good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With both doors almost done I can now start on the rear top section. Cut out a couple of hockey stick shaped pieces and rolled the edges over. Got the first side welded on and sanded back

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  30. myktrans

myktrans