Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electronic fuel pump for MCCULLOCH VS 57 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steverod, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Steverod

Steverod

I tried to get my project rolling but there are some questions in the air.I have a 1941 COE that is equipped with a 292 Y block ,4speed tranny ,2speed back axel.
    I want to add a Mcculloch VS 57 on the Y block, that i bought and is in really good shape.
    My question is :what kind of electronic fuel pump can i add that can increase in high gear ,and decrease in low gear. If i understand it right this will function over the vacuum of the carburator or vaccum switch.
    What also is an important detail is that i change the 2 bbl carburator into a 4 bbl 500 cfm. So i think that the pressure will be from 3-4 psi up to 5-6 psi for the fuel pump.

2. deto

deto

Look up a vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator. It might be what you need

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. deto

deto

Sorry. I didn't read the whole post

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

McCulloch made a supercharger outfit for your motor. I think half the 55 - 57 Tbirds in California had them ha ha.

Back then, they would run an air pressure line to the fuel pump to pressurize the back side of the diaphragm. This guaranteed that fuel pressure was always whatever the pump put out + boost pressure.

They also added an electric fuel pump actuated by a pressure switch for increased volume.

There used to be a web site with a lot of original literature laying this stuff all out. Try a search for VS57 or McCulloch supercharger.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

6. Steverod

Steverod

Thank you all for your help and information.
    Here is what i already have ,VS57 of corse ,the mounting bracket (including spring ; part nr. F21006 ) .
    All the rest is missing.
    so if i am right it is not a Vacuum that controls the flow of the fuel pump but it is an air pressure.

I read that some drives the stock mecanicel pump an add a electric fuel pump for high gears.
    Other overbore the stock mec.pump,
    or put a six way fuel pump on it.
    I would know if it is possible to put a electric fuel pump with 6-7 psi an a FUEL REGULATOR to regulate the low ratio .