Register now to get rid of these ads!

Home made Header, right hand drive Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brendan1959, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

Hi
    I thought I might share some photos of my home made header for my right hand drive Model A.
    Brendan

Attached Files:

2. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

Note the collector tacked to the engine stand.
    Just a matter of running the 1/12 tubes from the flange to the collector

Attached Files:

3. spooler41

spooler41

Brendan, nice job. Your headers are looking good. Now you need to show us the rest of your project.

................Jack

4. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

This is my first attempt at Tig welding, so my welds are not very pretty, it is very much like oxy welding.

Attached Files:

5. odins701

odins701

6. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

Well here it is, started life for me as a rusty wreck.

Attached Files:

7. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

Now can I make these SU carbs fit?

Attached Files:

8. The SUs won't be a problem after those headers - make a log manifold. I guarentee that the engine will idle nicely with whatever needles are in there.

To get it running right you need to look for a needle used in a standard application that is broadly similar to your engine in terms of cylinder size, rev range and power output. See where that leaves you in terms of driveability and engine performance and then it is a matter of fine tuning by fiddling with needles (to get the right station sizes), dashpot oil and springs. The Des Hamill book is very good and there's a website called mintylamb which is very useful on needle comparisions.

Burlens are your go to guys for needles, spares and rebuild kits.

There are a couple of relevant threads on here with HAMBers fitting SUs to sixes and V8s.

9. DenK

DenK

Nice job, Brendan. My A needs a header. Never thought of
    Using wood for mockup tool. Thanks for the post.

10. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

The tubes are hard to hold for cutting so I drilled 2 inch and 1/2 holes in a piece of pine frame then cut it long ways so it clamps the tube for cutting.
    Brendan

11. I'd looked at doing a header for the Fordor as it's RHD. Trouble is it has a B engine with the fuel pump to contend with too.
    I run a single SU myself although I've just stolen the whole engine for the Tourer...

Getting the SU's close enough to miss a bonnet side and fit a filter will be a challenge. Not so if you don't run bonnet sides of course!

12. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

What size is your SU? I had an mg expert look at my two inch and 1/2 carbs he says they will be to small for the 200 ci banger?

13. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

that's a REALLY neat roadster. can't wait to see it with the header on.

14. I run a single 1-1/4" SU downdraft on a B banger. 110CFM. Ported, shaped valves and seats, good cam, Thomas head. I've run a 94 and although it was better at the top end it was far too rich at the bottom end. I will play with carbs again but we've just rolled down to Le Mans and back running the little SU just fine. I've a pair of the downdraft 1-1/4" I want to try and also a single 1-3/4".

Let's say 200ci x max 3000revs/3456 x 0.7 volumetric efficiency - which would be pretty good for a flathead banger. I make that around 121.5 CFM. Higher revving - say 4000 and efficiency at 0.75? Maybe 173 CFM.

A single 1-1/2" SU flows around 133CFM and a 94 is around 150CFM.

You're two 1-1/2" will be plenty.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  15. spooler41

spooler41

Brendan, nice roadster. Thanks for posting more pix , it's good to see another aero modeler on the board. I've got more than a few hanging in my hanger.
    Good luck with your projects.

...............Jack

16. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

Thanks Monkey biker
    I thought the SUs would have to remain Garage art.
    Now I will press on with the manifold, The MG expert did tell me my carbs are in resonable condition, I will just need to come up with a linkage and one of the levers on the butterfly appears to be wrong.
    Brendan

17. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

For your next attempt , weld only the tube to the inside of the flange and then use a silicone/bronze tig rod on the outside of the flange as that will give strenth but not cause the tube to become brittle and crack.

18. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Your Header is looking good!! About time you did something with the flange :D

19. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

Some progress made, intake manifolds and linkages fabricated. I think I should have got a Tig years ago.
    Brendan

Attached Files:

20. Mart

Mart

Nice work.

A lot of the twin SU installations on minis etc. have a heat shield between the fuel bowl and the header. If you have problems with fuel getting too hot, you could look at the stock heat shield type setups.

Mart.

21. Very clever!

22. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

I had beeen wondering about the heat, as the front carb bowl is close to the header tube.
    I dont have the insulating spacers between the mainifold and the carbs, are they required?
    Brendan

23. morac41

morac41

Hi Brendan....Your choice of SU's is great ...they would the most under rated carby in the world...very simple how they work...the only thing with them is to make sure that the throttle shaft bushs are in very good condition ...you might have to make heat shields for the fuel bowls.....the pair of 1 1/2" is a good choice......I made up a similar header /manifold set up but used Holden Stromberg's off a 202 which is correctly jetted with no messing around....have a look in my albums there are some photos there in the red T trackster......Doug

24. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

OK Su experts
    I have fitted my su carbs, it seems to run strong, how ever the carbs seem to open differently, the front carb opens more than the back. I suspect lack of vacuum on the rear cylinders, Hopfully the video will show the problem.
    Brendan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm8SqRLVGTM&feature=youtu.be

25. sideshowrob

sideshowrob
    from australia

Sorry can't help with the carb problem, but I had to say that's a fine looking A, good work man.

26. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

Thanks
    I am trying to give tis an Aussie flavour, I know SUs are not common for an A.

27. Few things to try:-

Check the springs are roughly the same rate. Swap 'em over from one carb to the other to see if it makes a difference.

Check there is enough dashpot oil and it's the same viscosity.

Check the dashpots move easily - try swapping them between carbs. HS4 carbs have the sprung needle so you don't have to worry about centring the jet. Check the front dashpot isn't modified for "quick lift" (holes in the underside).

Most twin SU setups have a balance pipe in the manifold which always looks a real hinderance for flow - it's probably to make the carbs behave themselves. Go for a blast and do a plug check I reckon.

28. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Super cool !!!

4TTRUK