Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ultra RARE !...... 1957 "FOBD" .... Yes I said FOBD !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Sep 21, 2012.

1. firingorder1

firingorder1

They must be extremely rare indeed. Everyone has a set except me.

2. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I now want a set of Desato caps!

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I love this kinda stuff, I have a license plate on my 60 Chevy that says "Welfare Cadilac" on it, one L in Cadillac.

4. Model T1

Model T1

I'm from Illinois, home of JC Whitney. Remember the Model A and many of those other replacement hubcaps and other misspelled words on parts. Yep to save the copyright costs. Plus they were cheaper made.
    Had to be careful at some of those Illinois swap meets.

5. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Many years ago at a garage sale, I ran across a small cardboard box that read something like "1957 Chevy Grill Bar Repair Kit". It was a JC Whitney type item that was sold to cover the center of a '57 grill bar, if it were broken. The proprietor said that it was a popular item since it was cheaper to buy this piece and bolt it over the old bar. Instead of a blue "bowtie" in the middle of the emblem portion of it, there was a blue rectangle. A solid way to get around licensing. My buddy ended up with the part and I have never seen one again.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  6. Model T1

Model T1

Yep, I have a 55 Chevy and had 55's and 57's. Remember this part like half price or maybe even less than original years ago.

7. henry29

henry29

I've got one on one of my 57's, I'll see if I can get to it later and get a pic.

8. outlaw256

outlaw256

never have seen anything loke that. i like it!! i did buy a t shirt from the dollar store last summer that said hiway 68. i thought i said hiway 66.lol

9. afaulk

afaulk

Slightly different but I have a set of wrenches which proudly claim to be "Drop Forged", except for one, which was only"Dorp Forged". It seems to perform the same as the others though.

10. This is why I dont go to swap meets... I would have a set of genuine FOBD hub caps on my wall right now.. Sweet find

11. hot rust

hot rust

hilarious,simply hilarious

12. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Several years ago when I had a 48 Chevrolet I picked up a few stock hubcaps and one was an odd ball, looked similar but the bow tie just wasn't right:)

13. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

They did something like this for Edsel, too - they took the E on the center and put a dimple in the side, making it a (rotated) 3!

14. Harms Way

Harms Way

Hey guys,.... If you have some of this goofy stuff,.... take a picture and post it up on this thread........

15. Well if these ever come back on the for sale table I would love to have at least one to use on my 57,

16. Is there a chrome badge or hup cap out there that says Chuvrolet?

17. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

I saw a set with chevy bow ties backwards?

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here's a picture. 1949 - 1950 Chevrolet. they sure have lousy chrome.

as you can see I have 2 different types. which one would you put in the back?

Attached Files:

19. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I can't believe they didn't sell! I would have had to had them just for wall hangers!! the FOOL ford ones would be tits! I'd have to run those so everyone that knows me would think I had personalized hubcaps made!!!

20. henry29

henry29

Here's the grille bar repair piece on my 57, I have another one somewhere with a blue rectangle in the middle.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

21. Muttley

Muttley

For some reason this was the first thing I thought of when I read your post:

[​IMG]

22. I have a MOOM gas pedal. I do remember looking at a hubcap at a swap meet that had Ford and Mercury on it, kick myself for not buying it.

[​IMG]

23. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

So you're saying the Kinmunt brakes I garbage picked are fakes?

24. if anybody finds a set of "fool" caps for wide 5's, send 'em my way:D.

and kiwikev that "moom" pedal nearly made me squirt beer out my nose. lol

25. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Not vintage I know, but this is my own little attempt at Ford bastardisation on my Impala steering wheel which is ironically in my Ford.
    Paul

[​IMG]

26. Squablow

Squablow

The MOOM pedal is awesome! I have a pair of '57 FOBD caps as well, if you want to make a set of four or if someone wants to run them on their car. I was searching for Fool caps for '35 Ford which I know exist but never found any.

There was a picture of a Plymouth hubcap on here a while back that was so far off, looked like a foreign language, hoping that pic pops back up.

27. henry29

henry29

I've always heard of the Fool caps, but all the ones I've ever ran across said Bool.
    Like to see a pic of the Plymouth cap to.

28. percifab

percifab
    from Dixon,CA

My dad had a grill on his 45 Chevy pickup that said CHEVPOLET the p was on the point of the grill

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad